Author Topic: Well then Bill Frist, you're the problem, not the solution  (Read 1684 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Well then Bill Frist, you're the problem, not the solution
« on: August 25, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
I can scarcely believe nor remember that Bill Frist was considered presidential material in the not-too distant past, but it was true. The ridiculousness of that idea is some concrete evidence of the strength of the conservative movement spurred by the Tea Party.

Bill Frist: Health care law here to stay

President Barack Obama’s health care law isn’t going anywhere, even if the individual mandate is struck down by the courts, says heart surgeon and former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who sees the law’s provisions as mostly good.

“It’s going to survive,” the Tennessee Republican said Wednesday at a health care conference in Sioux Falls, S.D. “It’s not going to be repealed.”

Frist said that although he believes the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate provision should be scrapped, the law still will survive.

“I think the individual mandate is unconstitutional. It’s not the bill I would have written,” Frist said. “But it’s not going to fall.”

The law can work even if the Supreme Court strikes down individual mandate because the rest of its provisions will inject new money into the health care system, Frist said. And the law’s execution “will be shaped by these elections,” he said, likely referring to the 2012 presidential election.

In all, the law is 70 percent good and 30 percent bad, the Argus Leader reported Frist saying.

Frist, who at one time was seen as a contender for the Republican presidential nomination, told the Argus Leader in an interview that he has no interest in returning to politics.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: Well then Bill Frist, you're the problem, not the solution
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »
It's the Ruling Class vs. the Country Class, as Codevilla would say.  A large swath of the Republican Party, perhaps even the majority, are part of the Ruling Class and have no problem whatsoever with an all-powerful centralized state.

The Republican Party is becoming like the "conservative" parties of Europe.  They have no intention of reducing the size of government.  They just want to be the ones who administer it.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »
It's the Ruling Class vs. the Country Class, as Codevilla would say.  A large swath of the Republican Party, perhaps even the majority, are part of the Ruling Class and have no problem whatsoever with an all-powerful centralized state.

The Republican Party is becoming like the "conservative" parties of Europe.  They have no intention of reducing the size of government.  They just want to be the ones who administer it.

That really worked out well for them. ::unknowncomic::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 07:10:09 PM »
Why does anybody even listen to these has beens?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »
It's the Ruling Class vs. the Country Class, as Codevilla would say.  A large swath of the Republican Party, perhaps even the majority, are part of the Ruling Class and have no problem whatsoever with an all-powerful centralized state.

The Republican Party is becoming like the "conservative" parties of Europe.  They have no intention of reducing the size of government.  They just want to be the ones who administer it.

That really worked out well for them. ::unknowncomic::

Bill, you little scamp, you weaseled out of charges on that hospital sale, then you introduced Fred Thompson as a stalking horse in order to throw the election for your Country Club.  Now you are scooting around the country shilling for them again and maybe another medical fiddle on the side to boot.  
It's all about control and money isn't it?

[blockquote]
Avera McKennan is a member of Avera Health, a regional health care family of 300 facilities in the five-state region of South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska.

More.

[/blockquote]

Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

[blockquote]
"Why am I here? I am here in large part because this issue as a doctor, as a policymaker is so critical in the fact that Avera for 10 years focused on quality, is making it a big push... it says that it's in the benefit of the people here in the region itself, but also globally," said Frist.

[/blockquote]

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
Don't care for him. Nope. No sir.
Never did buy his "special blend" of bullsh!t.

Lemme put it this way - I hold ron paul in higher regard.

!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
...the rest of its provisions will inject new money into the health care system, Frist said.

INJECT NEW MONEY??!!  From WHERE??! And a death panel!  And 150 new bureaucracies!!   ::gaah::

::gaah::

Did I say ::gaah::  ?!

They have no intention of reducing the size of government.  They just want to be the ones who administer it.

I know I did say something very similar just yesterday.

God Damn these people.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
Frist showed so much promise here at one point....But he proved in office he did not have the stomach for politics...he turned wimpy and apparantly, stayed wimpy.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:51:48 PM »
Don't care for him. Nope. No sir.
Never did buy his "special blend" of bullsh!t.

Lemme put it this way - I hold ron paul in higher regard.

!

Yikes!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 09:18:40 PM »
That's exactly how Steyn described the European "conservative" parties: reduced to arguing that they will make better caretakers of the left-wing state than will the actual left-wing parties who created it.

That really does describe much of the GOP, in my opinion at least half of it. Even more so in the Senate.

It's easy and ever-so-slightly therapeutic for us to dismiss these turds and hurl our anger at them via our keyboards because they're so out of phase with the ascendant movement of grassroots conservatism. But what troubles me most about what they do is that they give some patina of legitimacy or plausibility to the utterly asinine vision for this country that the left is pursuing. By conveniently offering up their proclamations as representing the "calm and reasoned" version of conservatism, they effectively push the nominal center point of the political spectrum further the the left because anything to their Right (i.e., real conservatives) then become "radicals".

And they know what they're doing. They have to.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »

I'm beginning to think they do.  They're so inebriated by power and hubris they are like the actor who believes his on press reviews.  Technically they are insane, they are completely disassociated from reality.  It has been so for every tyrant class that caused their nation's desolation.  What Ruling Class in history has ever intentionally destroyed their nation?
They never saw it coming.  Even if it was right before their eyes.

Had a marriage like that once.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 06:36:10 AM »
because the rest of its provisions will inject new money into the health care system

All he sees is more money coming his way (so he thinks...)  Just a rent-seeker, now.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
That's exactly how Steyn described the European "conservative" parties: reduced to arguing that they will make better caretakers of the left-wing state than will the actual left-wing parties who created it.

That really does describe much of the GOP, in my opinion at least half of it. Even more so in the Senate.

To expand this point, I just came across a quote from GK Chesterton I hadn't seen before, one that in my view pretty much perfectly describes these establishment GOP types:

“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.” — G. K. Chesterton
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 08:11:22 PM »

To expand this point, I just came across a quote from GK Chesterton I hadn't seen before, one that in my view pretty much perfectly describes these establishment GOP types:

“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.” — G. K. Chesterton

that sums it up all right

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."