Author Topic: Enviro-mental moonbats long for a little nuclear war to reverse global warming  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Just a little nuclear war, mind you....

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/02/110223-nuclear-war-winter-global-warming-environment-science-climate-change/

Even a regional nuclear war could spark "unprecedented" global cooling and reduce rainfall for years, according to U.S. government computer models.

Widespread famine and disease would likely follow, experts speculate. (ed: Oooh, bonus!)
To see what climate effects such a regional nuclear conflict might have, scientists from NASA and other institutions modeled a war involving a hundred Hiroshima-level bombs, each packing the equivalent of 15,000 tons of TNT—just 0.03 percent of the world's current nuclear arsenal. (See a National Geographic magazine feature on weapons of mass destruction.)

The researchers predicted the resulting fires would kick up roughly five million metric tons of black carbon into the upper part of the troposphere, the lowest layer of the Earth's atmosphere.
Earth is currently in a long-term warming trend. After a regional nuclear war, though, average global temperatures would drop by 2.25 degrees F (1.25 degrees C) for two to three years afterward, the models suggest.
For a time Earth would likely be a colder, hungrier planet.

"Our results suggest that agriculture could be severely impacted, especially in areas that are susceptible to late-spring and early-fall frosts," said Oman, of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.

"Examples similar to the crop failures and famines experienced following the Mount Tambora eruption in 1815 could be widespread and last several years," he added. That Indonesian volcano ushered in "the year without summer," a time of famines and unrest. (See pictures of the Mount Tambora eruption.)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
They don't give a wild crap about anything but the bonus:  human population will be decimated and that's the source of their woody.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Why does it have to be a war then dip-wads? Why not just use your computer models to figure out exactly how many of what sized nuclear explosions we need to set off in what locations, and then mother Gaea will sprout unicorns and shoot double rainbows.

Yosemitebear Mountain Giant Double Rainbow 1-8-10

This...

Might piss off these guys though...

Hippies Wail For Dead Trees

But I don't see how it helps this guy in the short term...

And these guys don't seem to give a sh*t...

And we might bomb....

Back to....

But....

...probably won't care because he's more concerned about making sure....

stays out of jail so he can do this...

So we can all end up...

Which kinda brings me back to thinking that maybe we should go ahead and...

It just might cool things down a degree or two.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Awesome! A rant made visual. I like it.

And yes, did you notice the article's complete absence of any sort of "obviously, the mere possibility of lowering temperatures 2 degrees would hardly be any consolation for millions of dead" statement?

I'm so sick of these people.

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
One of the comments at the link nailed it. He said something like "would these be the same computer models that concocted the global warming myth in the first place?" LOL

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
When I first read this story I was like "huh, what?", but then you realize what type of moron you're dealing with when you talk about these true believer eco-terrorists and you realize these people truly would like to eliminate all those they view as enemies of forests and critters.  The clip with the tree-weepers had me rolling though, do these idiots go into such wailing when they devour carrots, or are they  :o meat-eaters?!

Bunch of lunatics.  But they sure make me want to push a button.   ::gaah::
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:06:56 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Why just a couple of hundred 15 kt bombs when just one MK-41 25 mt will suffice at say San Francisco. I'm just dying to see if those earthquake resistant structures can withstand the shock wave.  ;D Isn't this a worthwhile endeavor to promote science? ::laughonfloor::  If ground zero is properly located you might get a bonus with Oakland having the same fate and THAT is a bonus even if nuclear winter is a myth which it is perpetuated by those that demanded disarmament.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:01:11 AM by warpmine »
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Delta Force

• Likes the place
  • "You can run, but you'll just die tired!"
Why just a couple of hundred 15 kt bombs when just one MK-41 25 mt will suffice at say San Francisco. I'm just dying to see if those earthquake resistant structures can withstand the shock wave.  ;D Isn't this a worthwhile endeavor to promote science? ::laughonfloor::  If ground zero is properly located you might get a bonus with Oakland having the same fate and THAT is a bonus even if nuclear winter is a myth which it is perpetuated by those that demanded disarmament.

Besides, they don't grow much actual food in 'Frisco and Oakland, so what could it hurt?

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Bingo! ::beertoast:: BTW, at least wait until San-Fran Nan comes home to visit.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Why just a couple of hundred 15 kt bombs when just one MK-41 25 mt will suffice at say San Francisco. I'm just dying to see if those earthquake resistant structures can withstand the shock wave.  ;D Isn't this a worthwhile endeavor to promote science? ::laughonfloor::  If ground zero is properly located you might get a bonus with Oakland having the same fate and THAT is a bonus even if nuclear winter is a myth which it is perpetuated by those that demanded disarmament.

What if it was detonated underwater on the bottom of the Bay? We could have tsunami activity in both SF and Oakland. If placed right, it could overwash SF and send it all right out into the Pacific.

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
We are long overdue for a major asteroid or comet strike.  That would pretty much end things right there.  They don't call them the dinosaur killers for nothing.

That's why these people who propose experimenting (because that's what it is) with nukes are nuts.  Purposefully lowering the earth's temp (if it is even possible) would result in mass extinction.  Not just humans.  It would kill of plant life, plankton, animals...everything.

Tough arguing with the mentally unstable, though.  Not a recommended practice.  We used to keep them locked up so they wouldn't hurt themselves and/or others.  Today they're actors and actresses.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Why just a couple of hundred 15 kt bombs when just one MK-41 25 mt will suffice at say San Francisco. I'm just dying to see if those earthquake resistant structures can withstand the shock wave.  ;D Isn't this a worthwhile endeavor to promote science? ::laughonfloor::  If ground zero is properly located you might get a bonus with Oakland having the same fate and THAT is a bonus even if nuclear winter is a myth which it is perpetuated by those that demanded disarmament.

What if it was detonated underwater on the bottom of the Bay? We could have tsunami activity in both SF and Oakland. If placed right, it could overwash SF and send it all right out into the Pacific.

Unfortunately, tests in the Pacific just vaporize and send most of the water into a plume.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
We are long overdue for a major asteroid or comet strike.  That would pretty much end things right there.  They don't call them the dinosaur killers for nothing.

I also like to remind people that our Sun will eventually run out of fusible hydrogen, but long before that it will have swollen in size and consumed the Earth, but long before that its growth will have baked the Earth so much that the oceans boil away. And I'm supposed to support upending our entire civilization because they think we're causing Global Warming? They can KMA.

- Yours Truly