Author Topic: George Will Nails High Speed Rail  (Read 1247 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
George Will Nails High Speed Rail
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:37:12 AM »
High Speed Insolvency - Why Liberals Love Trains

"Although prostrate from its own profligacy, (California) will sink tens of billions of its own taxpayers’ money in the 616-mile San Francisco–to–San Diego line. Supposedly 39 million people will eagerly pay much more than an airfare in order to travel slower. Between 2008 and 2009, the projected cost increased from $33 billion to $42.6 billion."

Why? Will correctly believes that the independence of automobile traffic is not consistent with the goals of Progressivism. "So why is America’s “win the future” administration so fixated on railroads, a technology that was the future two centuries ago? Because progressivism’s aim is the modification of (other people’s) behavior."

Finally:

"To progressives, the best thing about railroads is that people riding them are not in automobiles, which are subversive of the deference on which progressivism depends. Automobiles go hither and yon, wherever and whenever the driver desires, without timetables. Automobiles encourage people to think they—unsupervised, untutored, and unscripted—are masters of their fates. The automobile encourages people in delusions of adequacy, which make them resistant to government by experts who know what choices people should make.

Time was, the progressive cry was “Workers of the world unite!” or “Power to the people!” Now it is less resonant: “All aboard!”

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/02/27/high-speed-to-insolvency.html
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: George Will Nails High Speed Rail
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:25:59 AM »
He nails it alright. Even social engineering through transportation policy has a motive aside from social engineering.

Progressivism is evil.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Delta Force

• Likes the place
  • "You can run, but you'll just die tired!"
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
As someone who is a rail fan, modeler, and enjoys train travel, this high speed rail BS is ludicrous.  If it were to create jobs, they would only be temporary, as once the project is completed, the majority of the work force would be laid off.  This helps how? ??? ::thinking::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
Ya just have to keep cranking out new track and trains, DF!  It's all about spending!  Sustainable to a demonrat is always about what sustains it to the next election!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.