Topics > Faith & Family

A Shameless Plug

(1/5) > >>

CatholicCrusader:
>>>>

A shameless plug I know, but a great video:

"Epic :120" Catholics Come Home

IronDioPriest:
That's a nice video. I was raised Catholic, and left the church behind upon confirmation. It wasn't until I felt the pull of Holy Spirit around the time I turned 40, that I began to seek God again. Instead of Catholicism, I sought out a non-denominational evangelical church, and re-ignited my relationship with God.

Many of the reasons I left Catholicism behind are still there. I have an inherent suspicion of man-made constructs, and am only interested in what the Bible says about God. I found much of Catholicism to be man-made construct, so I threw the baby out with the bathwater, so-to-speak, and left God behind altogether.

But I've found that my remedy for man-made constructs was not in the evangelical church either. I've discovered that for all their talk about a relationship with Jesus, a man-made construct is a man-made construct. I'm wondering if perhaps there is no way to be involved in an organized church without the taint of man; his lust for power; gossip; control; pride, etc.

So my view on the Catholic church has changed again. I'm not ready to sign-up or anything, but I've regained a healthy respect for the endurance of the institution, and the reverence for God inherent in its traditions and doctrine. I believe it is a man-made construct, but if all churches are, and I cannot escape that reality, then it is upon me to decide with which man-made construct - if any - I will align. I may just have to have my relationship with the living Christ within the confines of a man-made construct! And the Catholic church is not out of the question for me any longer.

There is an awfully impressive list of historic accomplishments listed in that video. To pick one:
[blockquote]"We are the largest charitable organization on the planet."[/blockquote]
Without question, an undeniable truth.

CatholicCrusader:
Name one thing you think is a man-made construct. Not a bunch, just one, of your choice.

IronDioPriest:

--- Quote from: CatholicCrusader on September 01, 2011, 02:17:41 PM ---Name one thing you think is a man-made construct. Not a bunch, just one, of your choice.

--- End quote ---

Nah, it's OK. I don't want to get into a debate with you over the merits of Catholic doctrine, because I have no interest in saying anything that would make you feel like I don't respect your faith, because I do.

So no, I'd rather not go there... unless you insist.

CatholicCrusader:

--- Quote from: IronDioPriest on September 01, 2011, 02:23:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: CatholicCrusader on September 01, 2011, 02:17:41 PM ---Name one thing you think is a man-made construct. Not a bunch, just one, of your choice.

--- End quote ---

Nah, it's OK. I don't want to get into a debate with you over the merits of Catholic doctrine, because I have no interest in saying anything that would make you feel like I don't respect your faith, because I do.

So no, I'd rather not go there... unless you insist.
--- End quote ---

Nope, that's okay.

But if you ever want the other side, this is a pretty neat booklet: http://www.catholic.com/library/pillar.asp

::thumbsup::

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version