Author Topic: A Shameless Plug  (Read 3899 times)

CatholicCrusader

Re: A Shameless Plug
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 02:20:57 AM »
The word of God is perfect, but man's interpretation/translation is not necessarily so. That is why we have different denominations of Christianity. We can't all agree because we are imperfect, including the pope.

That is an excellent observatrion, and it actually fits right in with my outlook.

Yes, when people interpret the Bible on their own they come up with different stuff, and thus we have denominations. But that is because men started to rely on their own interpretations instead of that of the Church, which was established by Christ to "teach".

The Pope is not perfect: I would never say otherwise. Peter was not perfect either. In fact, he was quite the sinner. Yet he was infallible when he wrote 1 Peter and 2 Peter. See what I mean? When God deemed it neccessary, He prevented Peter from making an error when Peter wrote his epistles.

That is the essence of infallibility from a Catholic POV: Being prevented by God from making an error at a particular point in time.

It's not the infallible part that bothers me. It's the "we are the only ones who have it right"' attitude of so many Christian sects. I don't beleve ANY of them have interpreted the entire bible accurately, and that's why I have a serious problem with ALL "organized religion."

My two cents....

"Organized religion" is a derogatory modern catch-phrase. In  fact, God "organized" the Israelites, with father Abraham, then the fathers of the 12 Tribes, the judges, etc.

And based on this model, Christ’s Church was is also hierarchical. He chose 12 apostles, made Peter the leader, and gave them authorities that all the other disciples did not have. Later, in Acts, the hierarchy develops further. The apostles appoint Deacons (greek - diakonos ), Priests (greek - presbyteros ), and Bishops (greek - episkopos), and each have different duties. It is the same today in the Catholic Church