Author Topic: Little stuff - rechargeable batteries info in here too  (Read 8278 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Little stuff - rechargeable batteries info in here too
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »
Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by johnflorida on Dec 6, 2010, 9:14pm

Toilet paper and the like.Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by libertasinfinitio on Dec 6, 2010, 9:23pm

Could be quite valuable in the event of a long breakdown in basic services. Bulky to store though. CostCo!Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by alphabetsoup on Dec 6, 2010, 9:59pm

In the ongoing conversations I have with my brothers I am reminded of the camping trip analogy that we use. Planning for Armageddon is like planning a camping trip - just one that you're never coming back from.

I have a supply list that has served me well for 20 years of camping. I carried a hard copy on the trip and would write down the "Ah G-d dammit" stuff that I would forget. Over the years it got to be pretty good for anticipating most of the contingencies.

Now If I could just forecast how long I may need to stay camping...Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by johnflorida on Dec 6, 2010, 10:20pm

I'm talking about suff like fishing gear. Sugar salt coffee tea.....Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by rickl on Dec 6, 2010, 11:40pm

About a year ago I bought a 30-roll pack of toilet paper at BJ's. I'm about halfway through it. Time to buy another one.Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by glock32 on Dec 6, 2010, 11:43pm

I might cash out my 401k denominated in one dollar bills. That should last a long time.Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by charlesoakwood on Dec 7, 2010, 12:10am

Tooth repair kit.

Inexpensive, comes with antiseptic, analgesic, glue, filler and implements.
Chip a tooth, lose a filling, pop a crown, you never know.

Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by rickl on Dec 7, 2010, 12:49am

Eek.Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by johnflorida on Dec 7, 2010, 10:08am

Band aids Gauze, tape,ace bandages.....wicks for lanterns....Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by Pandora on Dec 7, 2010, 12:56pm

Peroxide, alcohol and baking soda ...

The latter two can be used for cleaning as well. I dump a little alcohol into ammonia and water for cleaning glass and mirrors and bathroom fixtures; baking soda can be used for teeth as well as toilets.

eta: A bottle or two of liquid "Benadryl" (I don't know the chemical name off-hand -- di-something or other). Bargain/off-brand names are just as good and cheaper. For allergic reactions.Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by irondiopriest on Dec 7, 2010, 2:14pm

Dec 7, 2010, 12:10am, charlesoakwood wrote:
Tooth repair kit.

Inexpensive, comes with antiseptic, analgesic, glue, filler and implements.
Chip a tooth, lose a filling, pop a crown, you never know.

Post by glock32 on Dec 7, 2010, 2:28pm

Salt. Do you know how valuable salt used to be? Roman soldiers used to be paid in salt, hence the word "salary" (i.e. saline).

It can be used as a meat preservative, and a tonic for all manner of wounds and infections. Keeping with the toothache theme, a strong solution of warm saltwater is effective at providing temporary pain relief because it draws out fluids which in turn reduces pressure.Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by johnflorida on Dec 7, 2010, 2:47pm

Re-chargeable batteries.Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by glock32 on Dec 7, 2010, 3:04pm

Dec 7, 2010, 2:47pm, johnflorida wrote:
Re-chargeable batteries.

I'm looking at getting a solar powered charger. Do you know anything about those? I've read a bit and most people say you need a current regulator too. I figure with that and a bunch of rechargeable batteries, you could keep basics like flashlights and radios operating indefinitely.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:34:58 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Little stuff - rechargeable batteries info here
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
Post by johnflorida on Dec 7, 2010, 4:57pm

AA batteries can be charged using your solar lawn light fixtures and ify to have a generator you can charge the rest anytime you run it for anything else.

these guys have a pretty good selection of solar and wind generation equipment.

Post by johnflorida on Dec 7, 2010, 11:16pm

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/N....matchallpartialRe: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by libertasinfinitio on Dec 7, 2010, 10:41pm

Northern is pretty good when it comes to equipment, but their tools are not always the best/most durable...you can go elsewhere for that. But if it takes liquid (fuel/oil) returns are almost impossible, be sure to do your research and be sure of what you are buying and why.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:59:48 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
Post by libertasinfinitio on Dec 8, 2010, 7:40am

Dec 7, 2010, 11:16pm, johnflorida wrote:

Dec 7, 2010, 10:41pm, libertasinfinitio wrote:
Northern is pretty good when it comes to equipment, but their tools are not always the best/most durable...you can go elsewhere for that. But if it takes liquid (fuel/oil) returns are almost impossible, be sure to do your research and be sure of what you are buying and why.

I use it a lot as a place to get ideas and go from there. But I also buy stuff to keep the catalogs coming every couple of years.

Great reading in the morning(if you catch my drift). ;D

It's either that or hunting or gun magazines to, er, help pass the time, eh?!

;DRe: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by michelleo on Dec 8, 2010, 12:03pm

For toilet paper: in a TEOTWAWKI situation, I plan to use cut up wash cloths that you wash and reuse. I hate to be gross, but from someone who self-washed cloth diapers for a year, this is no big deal.

The bigger issue is SOAP. I've been tempted by bulk soapmaking supplies and this handcrank oil press :
But I haven't yet purchased.Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by johnflorida on Dec 8, 2010, 1:03pm

Some times my own blindness amazes me!! I sit most mornings on the patio drinking coffee and waking up. Some of the things we discuss on this thread goes through my head. One of the things we discussed was Water,storage filtration and so on.

What Inever thought about was looking back at me every morning I spent out there.

I have a 10,000 gallon pool looking me in the eye and I'm working on how to store enough water?? I have an irrigation well and I'm trying to figure out how to get WATER.

I'm not sure if it was blindness or just stupidity on my part.

THERE ARE NONE SO BLIND AS THOSE THAT DO NOT SEE!!!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »
Post by johnflorida on Dec 8, 2010, 5:56pm

Dec 8, 2010, 5:07pm, glock32 wrote:
One thing I recently thought of is nuts, bolts, nails, etc. I want to build up a large assortment of SAE and metric sizes, different thread pitches, and so on. If we're in some long term scenario of disruption, the ability to repair and modify equipment will be important, but what are you going to do without the right fasteners? To that end I also have a good tap and die set.

Ive been collecting that stuff for years because I try to build fix my own stuff.

To that list I would like to add Spark plugs for anything you would need and motor oil. 99% of my stuff is already converted to synthetic and since it doesn't go bad it doesn't matter how much you have on hand. That might also make a good barter subject.

Not to mention cooking oil I use Pomace oil for most things I fry and its stable also and it sell for between 11 and 13 dollars a full gallon as opposed to 34 dollars for 3 liters extra virgin i buy,Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by charlesoakwood on Dec 8, 2010, 9:31pm

Dec 8, 2010, 5:07pm, glock32 wrote:
One thing I recently thought of is nuts, bolts, nails, etc. I want to build up a large assortment of SAE and metric sizes, different thread pitches, and so on. If we're in some long term scenario of disruption, the ability to repair and modify equipment will be important, but what are you going to do without the right fasteners? To that end I also have a good tap and die set.

Post by nolan on Dec 8, 2010, 11:17pm

Hey G, speaking of salt...
My wife came across a preventative measure for winter colds etc. Gargle w/ salt water. A small mouthful of a solution, not sure how salty it needs to be, but we have it a little more than just able to taste the salt. We have young kids who hang out at snot-lockers w/ other little germ spewers, and for the last few years, we've had somebody hacking, wheezing and dripping, us included, from Oct to Apr! Last year we had a case of 'environmentally induced asthma', what ever that is, but my daughter would get serious croup at night if she spent anytime outdooors on cold days. We also have had at least one yearly case of pneumonia, w/ 3 last year, by this time. This year, we started this regimen in Oct.and have had one junky nose for about 2 days! That's it!
I don't know the mechanism, the physiology behind it, but I will absolutely swear by it. (knock on wood) I'll let ya' know if it changes.

The dental repair kit is a great idea, 'cuz dental hygiene, and hygiene in general, is something that goes a loooong way in not just physical health, but mental health too. I have dust masks and surgical gloves, antibiotics and H2O2, good gloves to keep from getting small nicks and cuts on the hands. Anti-bacterial hand wash is good too. Infections can turn serious and w/ no pharmacy around the corner, things can turn sour if not treated.
Synthetic oil and spark plugs I just started collecting now that I have a generator. I think more oil is a good idea JF, and it's all synthetic. Not breaking down is a good reason, but my manual said synthetic can be used for hot or cold operation. Extra stuff for the car, too, will be handy, but weigh that against how much use it'll see. Tools and hardware I've been collecting for years and can equip a small store, but I do want more. Tap and die is an excellent set to have, as well as a breaker bar and stripped-bolt remover. And lots of WD-40. And thread-lok.
Extra eyeglasses and repair kits.
Toner and paper for a computer if you think you'll use it. I plan on circulating stuff around the 'hood in the event, 'cuz I'm not having much success now. Also, I have too much info stored on disk. I have been printing some of the more important stuff, like medicinal info for the antibiotics I got.
Comfort items would be good for morale. My wife is a diet coke-aholic and I've been trying to rotate in a few extra 12 packs for her. I don't anymore, but smokes are also good for barter. I don't drink coffee, but I have dozens of the 5hr energy drinks. Swear by that stuff, too. Booze...I think I'll use it sparingly, if at all, but we have about 3 dozen bottles of hard stuff left over from parties and such. Bunches of wine bottles. Nothing I drink now, but again, might be good for barter.
I have a mountain of TP and paper towels, but Michelle's idea of re-using rags isn't bad. BUT (no pun intended) make sure you have lots of aloe, too. Hell, get lots anyway.
Soap is in supply here, as is shaving cream and razors. Hair cutting kits are good, too. Hygiene and morale are affected, not just appearance. Short hair will stave off critters. Long messy hair will add to a sense of despondency. I'm not a form over function guy, but for this sort of thing, the form is helpful to the function. Look good, feel good. Feel good, do well. Feel sh*tty, do sh*tty. A good mental state will be crucial.
Extra socks and comfortable shoes/boots. I rarely throw out good footgear and the wife calls me Imelda. As in Marcos.
Pens/pencils and notebooks/pads. A good watch, whistle and I even have a couple hand-held air-horns. And hand-held 2 ways. Just 2, but I would love several more. I would even consider getting a mega-phone so I could feel all official and sh*t! Just kidding about the power trip, but I do think it'd be helpful if addressing a crowd. It's way down on the list, though.
Good rain gear. Boots and overalls as well as a good jacket. Running out to fix something crucial during a storm is easier if you stay dry. Less of a chance of getting sick after, too, I think.
Snow shoes if you live in the right (wrong?) region. Or x-country skis.
One thing I want to do is learn how to operate vehicles that I haven't learned to yet, like a motorcycle. Or ride a horse. I don't ever want to be stuck somewhere or forced to walk if I need to get somewhere in a hurry. Or get out of someplace in a hurry.
A lock-pick set is high on my list, as is learning how to hot-wire a vehicle. I have a slim-jim, but no practical knowledge of how to use it, just theory.

That's my brain-dump. Hope it helped somebody.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »
Post by johnflorida on Dec 9, 2010, 12:12am

You got a generator!!!Congrats!!!!Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by michelleo on Dec 9, 2010, 11:31am

Thanks, Dan! Great info.

Post by nolan on Dec 9, 2010, 5:18pm

Hope something is useful Michelle.
And thanks JF. It's a big item I've ben waiting for, but I regrettably had to buy it at Home Depot. The rewards card from my wife's co. only worked there, not Lowe's, and I'm boycotting HD due to their war on traditional families and their embracing the gay agenda.
BUt I have it now.

Post by johnflorida on Dec 9, 2010, 6:48pm

Dec 9, 2010, 5:18pm, nolan wrote:
Hope something is useful Michelle.
And thanks JF. It's a big item I've ben waiting for, but I regrettably had to buy it at Home Depot. The rewards card from my wife's co. only worked there, not Lowe's, and I'm boycotting HD due to their war on traditional families and their embracing the gay agenda.
BUt I have it now.

You can live to fight another day. HD isn't one of my places but you need the generator more that you need to hold a grudge and I know from holding Grudges( I learned from my mother)

So what did you get spill the beans already??

Post by Pandora on Dec 9, 2010, 8:12pm

Yes, Dan; tell Mr. Generator Man all about it. ;D

::snerk::

Post by johnflorida on Dec 9, 2010, 9:01pm

Dec 9, 2010, 8:12pm, Pandora wrote:
Yes, Dan; tell Mr. Generator Man all about it. ;D

::snerk::

HEH HEH!!Still sore HUH?

Post by Pandora on Dec 9, 2010, 11:39pm

Yep. You have well-deserved penance to do and I'll decide at some future time when you've done enuff.

Til then, suck it up.

Post by Pandora on Dec 9, 2010, 11:50pm

BTW, Epsom Salts ought to be in your storage toolbox. Soak a potentially infected part in very warm water/epsom salts and it brings the infection to head for lancing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »
Post by glock32 on Dec 9, 2010, 11:55pm

Vodka or grain alcohol. Useful as an antiseptic/disinfectant, and a bartering commodity.Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by charlesoakwood on Dec 10, 2010, 12:10am

Having a store of 1/2 pints may be very valuable in stressful times.

Re: Who's got the biggest tank? I don't; however,

I do possess two, in excellent shape, out of date propane bottles (10 gal ea. I think). They are from my old travel trailer and are fine except Uncle Sam declared that design unsafe even though that design was used for 40 years with no problem.

I would like to utilize them. Is there a way to fill them at home from modern bottles or some other way to keep them functional?

Post by johnflorida on Dec 10, 2010, 12:41am

Dec 10, 2010, 12:10am, charlesoakwood wrote:

I do possess two, in excellent shape, out of date propane bottles (10 gal ea. I think). They are from my old travel trailer and are fine except Uncle Sam declared that design unsafe even though that design was used for 40 years with no problem.

I would like to utilize them. Is there a way to fill them at home from modern bottles or some other way to keep them functional?

I think you need a vaccume punp to get them to fill and they uses to sell the adaptors for those but I haven't seen any around but I'll look.

BTW you probably could dump them off on a tank exchange place. You know swap a full opne for an empty. ::) I know the dates on them will stop anyone from refilling them.

I just did some looking around and they don't have the conversion valves that I can find. Trade them oin or dipose of them.

I just thought of something you could check into. Call some welding gas suppliers out there they may be able to get new valves for those tanks.Re: Have we covered all the little stuff?
Post by Pandora on Dec 10, 2010, 3:56am

Dec 10, 2010, 12:10am, charlesoakwood wrote:

John has a point there. A propane dealer may have the new valves and will make the conversion for you. We had it done to ours but it was right after the Feds stuck their nose in this with their new law.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »
Post by johnflorida on Dec 10, 2010, 9:52am

And I believe the tanks can be re-certified.

Post by alans on Dec 10, 2010, 12:35pm

One note about the energy drinks and a few other items. Make sure of the shelf life. I know somethings only last for so long before they go bad.

Post by johnflorida on Dec 10, 2010, 2:51pm

Dec 9, 2010, 11:50pm, Pandora wrote:
BTW, Epsom Salts ought to be in your storage toolbox. Soak a potentially infected part in very warm water/epsom salts and it brings the infection to head for lancing.

I buy epsom salt in 40/50 pound bags for 18 bucks at a local fertilizer supply. I use it on the palms and any other plant I want to green up fast. Garden peppers love it too.

Post by nolan on Dec 10, 2010, 6:44pm

Salt for gardening produce? I would have though that makes it go bad, as in salting the enemies fields. BUt clearly I'm wrong... Is it sold at gardening supply places in bulk? You say fert supply, but not sure if we have something equivalent around here.

The gen is a Honeywell (good name) rated for 550 continuous and 6875 start-up. Had decent reviews so I got it. Not as big as I wanted, but big enough for current needs. I went over budget by almost $200, but it was worth the ass-kickin' I got from the CFO. Checking it off the list is worth the grief.

Epsom salts are on my list now.
Dates are entered in a spreadsheet in order to track and rotate. Or is that way too anal?
The tanks are easily traded at no cost.
I also have laxatives and immodium AD for any uncomfortable days. I believe that staying as healthy and as comfortable as possible will go a long way. The fewer distractions the better.

Post by johnflorida on Dec 10, 2010, 9:56pm

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:11:40 PM »
Re:  Have we covered all the little stuff
Post by johnflorida on Dec 10, 2010 9:56pm

I use Epsom salt to green plants up it's not sodium chloride so it doesn't have the same affect on plants I got the tip for using it on peppers from an old TV show called Crockett's Victory Garden over 20 years ago.The point for listing it was that Pandora mentioned it foe soaking and I wanted to point out that it has more than one use.

I'm luck enough the have a fertilizer manufacture down here about 25 minute drive so I buy everything for the yard there(I'm known as Johnnies Lawn service) I pay about 13.00 for a 10K sq.Foot bag of lawn stuff and 18 dollars for weed and feed.

At home depot weed and feed is about 38 dollars for the same size bag. All my friends buy there and the last time I went I had 1500 pound of all manner of lawn and tree stuff on the truck for the inner circle of friends.

BTW that's a good size Generator you gut there it should serve you well.

The company I buy from is called Helena chemical.

Post by johnflorida on Dec 11, 2010, 12:26am

Dec 7, 2010, 3:04pm, clock32 wrote:

Dec 7, 2010, 2:47pm, Florida wrote:
Re-chargeable batteries.

I'm looking at getting a solar powered charger. Do you know anything about those? I've read a bit and most people say you need a current regulator too. I figure with that and a bunch of rechargeable batteries, you could keep basics like flashlights and radios operating indefinitely.

Or you can check into one that works off your cigarette lighter in the car.

Post by nolan on Dec 11, 2010, 9:14pm

The gen specs should read 5500, but I guess you figgered' that from the peak output. It should suffice.

I remember that old show, actually, but wasn't in the frame of mind to sit and watch it back then.

Thanks for the tip.

Post by johnflorida on Dec 11, 2010, 9:19pm

Dec 11, 2010, 9:14pm, nolan wrote:
The gen specs should read 5500, but I guess you figgered' that from the peak output. It should suffice.

I remember that old show, actually, but wasn't in the frame of mind to sit and watch it back then.

Thanks for the tip.

That's a good size for the greater part of the public out there. I doubt you will need anything bigger unless you're running stoves and hot water off electric.

BTW I added corn meal(polenta) to the must have list I forgot how far that stuff goes.

Post by libertasinfinitio on Dec 12, 2010, 11:23am

Anybody mention hydrogen peroxide? Good general disinfectant, can use it to clean bacteria off veggies, wipe down surfaces, highlight your long flowing hair... ;D

Post by johnflorida on Dec 12, 2010, 12:27pm

Dec 12, 2010, 11:23am, libertasinfinitio wrote:
Anybody mention hydrogen peroxide? Good general disinfectant, can use it to clean bacteria off veggies, wipe down surfaces, highlight your long flowing hair... ;D

I won't need much for my hair.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 03:15:10 PM »
Post by libertasinfinitio on Dec 12, 2010, 1:26pm

Apparently those with more neutral hair color, light brown, dishwater blond, can get light highlights if they apply some to their hair.

Some of the claims (toe fungus, teeth brightener etc) are considered unproven, but it is a good general anti-bacterial agent.

Here's some quick links I found (first one on hair)...

http://www.hydrogen-peroxide.co.uk/hydrogen-peroxide-uses

http://1greengeneration.elementsintime.com/?p=1325

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hydrogen-peroxide-uses.html

http://www.educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml

Post by Pandora on Dec 12, 2010, 2:07pm

Hunh. That's interesting, libertas; thanks.

Post by johnflorida on Dec 12, 2010, 2:30pm

I think there are a few more here:

http://www.afullcup.com/forums/saving-wh....n-peroxide.html

Post by johnflorida on Dec 12, 2010, 2:34pm

Dec 7, 2010, 3:04pm, glock32 wrote:

Dec 7, 2010, 2:47pm, johnflorida wrote:
Re-chargeable batteries.

Are you talking abpout one of those solar generators they have been advertsing??

I just took a look in the sunday paper and Brands Mart is advertising a small 3250 generator for 228.88 which would be great for small jobs.It puts out 20 amps at 120 voilts.

charlesoakwood

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Little stuff - rechargeable batteries info in here too
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 12:23:35 AM »
Ooooo!  Cool!  Magnesium?

Where can I get some?

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 12:29:55 AM »
Wow, that's cool. Speaking of fire... Y'all may already know this already, but I didn't until last week, so I'll share. I learned that an standard 9 volt battery and a bit of steel wool will almost instantly start a fire. Is this just common knowledge and I'm late to the game?

Steelwool and 9 volt: making fire
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:31:51 AM »
Don't think it's magnesium, it wouldn't be that easy to extinguish and it would stay hot. I think.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP221-1.html

Just found this place they have a lot of gear, reviews, and a telephone.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 12:35:56 AM »
Wow, that's cool. Speaking of fire... Y'all may already know this already, but I didn't until last week, so I'll share. I learned that an standard 9 volt battery and a bit of steel wool will almost instantly start a fire. Is this just common knowledge and I'm late to the game?

Steelwool and 9 volt: making fire

Holy god of fire!!  I did not know that either.  I wonder if it's got anything to do with how "charged" the 9V is?  I will find out and report.

Make note; the finer the steel wool, the better.  Wonder how fine the "wool" is in yer standard Brillo pad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 12:36:58 AM »
I learned that an standard 9 volt battery and a bit of steel wool

Had read steel wool is good tender but no *knowledge*.  
That illustration is super.  

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 12:38:05 AM »

Ultra course.

Steel wool is not that expensive if you shop around.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 12:41:29 AM »
Another thing most people don't know, those 6V lantern batteries are usually just an array of smaller batteries. D cells or sometimes AA cells. It's a good thing to know in a pinch. Cut one open and you'll find them in there, neatly lined up.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 12:52:18 AM »

Ultra course.

Copy that.  We usually have some on hand, of various grades.  Was just wondering if yer standard pot-scouring pad would make do.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 12:53:33 AM »
Another thing most people don't know, those 6V lantern batteries are usually just an array of smaller batteries. D cells or sometimes AA cells. It's a good thing to know in a pinch. Cut one open and you'll find them in there, neatly lined up.

Gunsmith's converted some of our battery-run radios to 9V on that principle.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »

Ultra course.

Copy that.  We usually have some on hand, of various grades.  Was just wondering if yer standard pot-scouring pad would make do.

You don't want ultra coarse you want the finest you can get,the package will have 0000 size designation on it. It's sized by Zeros on the package 0 being the coarsest. As long as were at it I would tell you that dryer lint is flamable as hell also and lord knows we can get our hands on that in a pinch.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie