Author Topic: Little stuff - rechargeable batteries info in here too  (Read 8271 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Little stuff - rechargeable batteries info in here too
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 05:18:37 PM »
You know where I first saw the steel wool trick? "Survivorman". The key is that you need some dry tinder because the heat will dissipate rapidly. The video above is exactly how Survivorman did it. Rub it, get some good spark, blow on it, and get it onto the tinder ASAP. Good thing to know in a pinch.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »

Ultra course.

Steel wool is not that expensive if you shop around.

Copy that.  We usually have some on hand, of various grades.  Was just wondering if yer standard pot-scouring pad would make do.

You don't want ultra coarse you want the finest you can get,the package will have 0000 size designation on it. It's sized by Zeros on the package 0 being the coarsest. As long as were at it I would tell you that dryer lint is flamable as hell also and lord knows we can get our hands on that in a pinch.

I was just wondering if a Brillo pad would do in a pinch.  Guess I'll try it and see.

Already been saving dryer-lint for a bit as well, in the BOB, for fire-starting purposes.  See if that doesn't make ya feel like a nutcase to admit that in public.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 06:46:52 PM »
I was just wondering if a Brillo pad would do in a pinch.

Just make sure it isn't soap-impregnated. You'll only end up making a stinky mess.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »

Ultra course.

Steel wool is not that expensive if you shop around.

Copy that.  We usually have some on hand, of various grades.  Was just wondering if yer standard pot-scouring pad would make do.

You don't want ultra coarse you want the finest you can get,the package will have 0000 size designation on it. It's sized by Zeros on the package 0 being the coarsest. As long as were at it I would tell you that dryer lint is flamable as hell also and lord knows we can get our hands on that in a pinch.

I was just wondering if a Brillo pad would do in a pinch.  Guess I'll try it and see.

Already been saving dryer-lint for a bit as well, in the BOB, for fire-starting purposes.  See if that doesn't make ya feel like a nutcase to admit that in public.

I admit to nothing to the public. I know nothing have nothing and am scared to death about everything. I need a bunch of them showing up for help.

A stranger in need is a pain in the ass. BTW I just started packing rice with the new food saver,that thing works nice.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 07:22:19 PM »
This here is "the public" I was referring to.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »
This here is "the public" I was referring to.

This is family.The public is out there someplace. You know the people that walk by you like you don't exist.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
Bought a sack of 0000 steel wool at the Dollar Store today.

Cost $1.15

ETA: 1lb 12oz, Hunts tomatoes w/basil - - $1.15 per
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:46:27 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline michelleo

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 08:10:31 PM »
I just tried this trick with very coarse #3 steel wool, and got sparks but the whole pad didn't catch fire like in the video.  You definitely want the very fine steel wool.  So cool.  Great to know.  And if you still want homemade fireworks, you can try this....

Steel Wool FireWire Burning

charlesoakwood

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »

Pretty.