Author Topic: The 9-13-2011 Special Election For The Weiner Seat  (Read 6683 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
The 9-13-2011 Special Election For The Weiner Seat
« on: September 03, 2011, 02:06:30 AM »
I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that the Democrats lose this one. I will further predict that they will spin this loss (somewhat correctly) on having a moron as a candidate. The larger truth, though, is that even an incredible jackass like Weprin could win Weiner's seat if there were not a SCOAMF in the WH. This is NY after all.

Turner Weprin Debate 08-22-2011
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: The 9-13-2011 Special Election For The Weiner Seat
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 02:09:02 AM »
Weprin looks like Cliff Klaven except without the ability to recall even useless trivia.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:45:55 AM »
Well, well, well...isn't this interesting?!

Republican Bob Turner holds a six-point lead in next week's special election to replace disgraced former Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., according to a new Siena College poll released early Friday that shows voters in the overwhelmingly Democratic district are poised to deliver a stinging rebuke to President Obama and his party.

Turner leads Democratic Assemblyman David Weprin in the poll, 50 percent to 44 percent. Six percent of likely voters in the Sept. 13th election are undecided.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2011/09/poll-republican-2.php

Beating a Dem in that district would be an enormous upset!  And it is funny to see both trashing/running away from Obama...he's that toxic!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
Oh, y'all are gonna loooove this, from The New York Observer:

"The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee just released their new attack ad against Bob Turner, the Republican candidate for the NY-9 seat vacated by Anthony Weiner. There’s something slightly…off…about the timing of the ad. [UPDATED.]

Just three days before tenth Anniversary of September 11th seems an inopportune time to use an image of a private jet buzzing right by the Manhattan skyline to illustrate Bob Turner’s lax stance on corporate tax reform. Right?

Any other week, it’d be a huge stretch. Yet there’s something about seeing replays of the attacks ad nauseum on broadcast news, and commemorative/memorial ceremonies taking place city-wide that makes it much, much worse. It’s not a rhetorical question: Is there truly no better way to illustrate Turner’s commitment to corporate interests twelve seconds into an attack ad?

UPDATE: Azi Paybarah at Capital New York noted that they’ve removed the old ad (which is why the video above no longer works) and doctored the spot to remove the skyline from it, an hour and a half after we posted it. All told, pretty quick work on the DCCC’s part. One more time, now you see it:

Now you don't ..."

Full, updated vid at link.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »

Sir Obama has succeeded in alienating one of the largest demographics in his base.  
The New York contingent of that base is turning on him, they are withholding support and supporting his opponent.  
In a rational world they would realize that Republicans are their true friend and ally.  

The Hill

some prominent local Democrats have endorsed Republican Bob Turner because of Obama’s handling of Israel,
Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch, a Democrat who has endorsed candidates of both parties in the past, is backing Turner because he believes Obama needs to be sent a message on Israel.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »
Call me a cynic, but I think the Dems still win this one.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:16:44 AM »
Stereotypical Secular New York Jew, could have been replaced with a Secular Catholic, you know the ones who vote for Abortion without any thought. Liberal Talking Points, the words are the same, just, millions parroting them. You know like Bob Beckel on The Five. Even an Old Fool like me, can see that! 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 11:32:50 AM »
Gotta call this something else...I mean who wants to inherit the "Weiner Seat"?!

::speechless::

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »
Gotta call this something else...I mean who wants to inherit the "Weiner Seat"?!

Call it a Weeeeener!

Maybe it could be called Portent 2012 ::newyear:: .

Sep 14, 12:00 AM EDT

GOP wins in NY House race, seen as Obama rebuke

Republicans have scored an upset victory in a House race that became a referendum on President Barack Obama's economic policies.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »

And the survey says... Barney Frank?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:47:20 PM »
Call me a cynic, but I think the Dems still win this one.

You are a cynic. And, thankfully, you were wrong on this one.

I did expect the win but I didn't think the margin would be as big as it turned out to be. This has got to be giving certain Democrats a serious case of indigestion this evening. I sure hope that this is a harbinger of the next election.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 11:47:48 PM »

GOP wins in NY House race, seen as Obama rebuke

Republicans have scored an upset victory in a House race that became a referendum on President Barack Obama's economic policies.

Link

After casting his vote Tuesday, Turner, creator of the The Jerry Springer Show  ::hysterical:: , said the election "is the only contested national election on the federal level, so it is in a way a referendum on President Obama's policies."

Link

Despite the district’s more than 3-to-1 Democratic voter registration advantage, his massive fundraising lead and his campaign’s enormous voter identification and get-out-the-vote effort, Weprin came up short.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:50:50 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:51:34 PM »
...who wants to inherit the "Weiner Seat"?!

Most of Nancy Pelosi's constituents. Weiner seats are allegedly a bit pricey so if you can inherit one, woo-hoo.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 12:54:20 AM »
BREAKING NEWS: GOP Candidate Bob Turner Wins NY-9 Race

Reply |FoxNews.com foxnews@newsletters.foxnews.com to me
show details 12:04 AM (1 hour ago)

In an upset victory, GOP candidate Bob Turner wins New York special House election for former seat of Rep. Anthony Weiner

More headlines from FoxNews.com:
http://email.foxnews.com/t?ctl=13E0C:551F40EA9E802BA74A751F3F2650DAB6&

Watch Fox News Channel for complete coverage of this story and all breaking news. ::newyear:: ::whoohoo::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 01:03:06 AM »
Link            

[Turner won] New York’s 9th District, :

Anthony Weiner’s district                                   
it was Chuck The Schmuck Schumer’s district
and previously it was Geraldine Ferraro’s district
and hasn’t been Republican since 1923

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:06:43 AM by Charles Oakwood »

RickZ

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:13:55 AM »
Link            

Even though the odds are good that NY-9's seat will be redistricted out of existence what with NYS/NYC population loss, this is by no means a Pyrrhic Victory.  Let's hope the loud {GASP} you just heard was Democrat representatives and senators across the country thinking WTF?  (And certainly not Win The Future.)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 01:19:37 AM »
I eagerly await the moronic spin from the mutant poodle woman, Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Should be good for a chuckle.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 01:43:27 AM »
But while I'm waiting, there is abject panic over at the PuffHo in the comment section of this article.

Fear and loathing.

And denial. Lots of denial.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 01:45:07 AM »
Link            

Even though the odds are good that NY-9's seat will be redistricted out of existence what with NYS/NYC population loss, this is by no means a Pyrrhic Victory.  Let's hope the loud {GASP} you just heard was Democrat representatives and senators across the country thinking WTF?  (And certainly not Win The Future.)

Yeah, Obama's, "pass it now" has taken on an all new meaning.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 02:03:00 AM »
DailyKos is similarly distraught.

The comments make for amusing reading.

Or good source material for a psych term paper.