Author Topic: TV evangelist "typing in tongues" on facebook  (Read 3726 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: TV evangelist "typing in tongues" on facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 11:48:42 AM »
The thing that bothers me...how do you really know who is on the other end of the line?

::whatgives::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 11:49:47 AM »

It originated in California in 1906.  
OK, that tells me everything I need to know.

I believe he said much of the controversey started then, not tounges themselves.

The thing that bothers me...how do you really know who is on the other end of the line?
 ::whatgives::

You can never really prove that a miracle took place, but you can weed out a lot of the fakes.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 12:51:57 PM »

[blockquote]
The Pentecostal "speaking in tongues"

Pentecostal:what is sometimes called classical pentecostalism grew out of the late 19th century holiness movement in the united states. The holiness preacher charles fox parham began preaching (1901) to his topeka congregation that speaking in tongues was objective evidence of baptism in the spirit. After the los angeles mission of parham's apostolic faith sect became the center of a great revival (1906) the movement quickly spread around the world. Over the next two decades the movement split along doctrinal and racial lines. Of the many pentecostalist denominations in the united states today, characterized by belief in the experience of holiness or christian perfection. This perfection is climaxed by an "infilling of the holy spirit," as evidenced by "speaking in tongues," ecstatic utterances frequently unintelligible to listeners,
[/blockquote]

My understanding of speaking in tongues is as has been said, "Those who spoke in tongues during Pentecost were said to be speaking in a recognized foreign language. That is, they could be understood by foreigners but not by natives...they spoke in languages that they did not know."

In ignorance I had thought that Pentecostalism was a continued practice from the beginning not something "perceived" by a Kansas preacher.  No disrespect to Pentecostals but this enlightening information causes it to be a no go for me.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »
I went looking for a quick youtube to demonstrate what speaking in tongues sounds and looks like for those who may not have any experience to inform them re; what we're discussing here. But instead, I found this ABC report, and as a tongues skeptic, I found it quite interesting. This piece explores tongues from a scientific point of view, taking a surprisingly neutral journalistic position. The MRI brain-scan stuff comes after the first few minutes. I won't say that it demonstrates what the Christian folk say it demonstrates, but it does show some interesting things to contemplate.

Speaking in Tongues Medical Study proves Holy Spirit praying
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson