Author Topic: AP lies about Rick Perry & his position on border fence  (Read 7016 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
AP lies about Rick Perry & his position on border fence
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:23:23 AM »
We need to get used to this, and figure out a way to combat it. If we thought it was bad in '08, look at the mountain the media is going to have to move in '12 to push Hussein over the top.

AP MISLEADS READERS ON RICK PERRY: Cherry-Pick His Statement on Border Security & Lie About Audience Reaction

[blockquote]Speaking to hundreds of Granite State voters at a private reception, the Texas governor was asked whether he supported a fence along the Mexican border.

“No, I don’t support a fence on the border,” he said. “The fact is, it’s 1,200 miles from Brownsville to El Paso. Two things: How long you think it would take to build that? And then if you build a 30-foot wall from El Paso to Brownsville, the 35-foot ladder business gets real good.”

The answer produced an angry shout from at least one audience member.[/blockquote]

But from a transcript of the actual speech...

[blockquote]“No, I don’t support a fence on the border,” he said, while referring to the long border in Texas alone. “The fact is, it’s 1,200 miles from Brownsville to El Paso. Two things: How long you think it would take to build that? And then if you build a 30-foot wall from El Paso to Brownsville, the 35-foot ladder business gets real good.”

Instead, Perry said he supported “strategic fencing” and National Guard troops to prevent illegal immigration and violence from Mexican drug cartels.[/blockquote]

The AP deleted the part of Perry’s speech that including using “strategic fencing” and National Guard troops on the border.

More on the supposed "angry shout" that witnesses say never occurred, at gatewaypundit...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: AP lies about Rick Perry & his position on border fence
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:02:21 AM »
But, I do believe he supported a Texas Dream Act

Offline Janny

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »
This may have been a distortion by the AP, but it doesn't change the obvious fact that Perry is soft on illegal immigration. I am wary of him for that reason. Particularly, I'm disturbed by his lack of support for Arizona's SB1070.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »
AP distortion or no, this issue is where I'm most suspicious about Perry.  He sounds eerily like Bush in this regard.

For how many years have we been told by the political class that a border fence is not practical?  Meanwhile the illegals just keep streaming in.

It's much like the argument that it's pointless to drill new oil wells or build new refineries.  "It would take X number of years to come online, so it wouldn't solve our present problem."  Well, if you just went ahead and did it instead of telling us why it can't or shouldn't be done, then it would be done by now.

As for the 1200 mile fence, just start construction at six or eight points along the border and build outwards from there.  It ain't rocket science.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:53:32 AM »
I think Perry's right that without troops, a fence is essentially useless. My question is whether he means it or not. I don't know enough about him to judge.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:08:10 PM »
It's an invasion from the Third World and we should treat it as one.  That means barbed wire, troops, and machine gun emplacements; perhaps minefields as well. 

That also means lots of dead Mexicans.  Most people are not willing to go there, but I am.  Our military should be protecting our own border and not nation-building in Crapghanistan.

The fact that nobody from either political party is taking this as seriously as it deserves just shows that our leadership has been thoroughly infiltrated by internationalists.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
This may have been a distortion by the AP, but it doesn't change the obvious fact that Perry is soft on illegal immigration. I am wary of him for that reason. Particularly, I'm disturbed by his lack of support for Arizona's SB1070.

Who is the electable candidate that has the strongest achievable position on border security?

Offline Janny

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »

Who is the electable candidate that has the strongest achievable position on border security?

First of all, you'll have to define "electable." I have a hunch that your idea of electable and mine might differ greatly.

Second, why don't you tell me who you think that candidate is? Then we can go from there.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »
It's an invasion from the Third World and we should treat it as one.  That means barbed wire, troops, and machine gun emplacements; perhaps minefields as well. 

That also means lots of dead Mexicans.  Most people are not willing to go there, but I am.  Our military should be protecting our own border and not nation-building in Crapghanistan.

The fact that nobody from either political party is taking this as seriously as it deserves just shows that our leadership has been thoroughly infiltrated by internationalists.

This.

In fact, I think the Border Patrol should be eliminated or relegated to operating official border crossings. Responsibility for defending against illegal border crossing (i.e., invasion) should be a military responsibility.

And as to these internationalist Ruling Class turds always and forever telling us what is and is not practical, we could have unmanned drones providing surveillance of every inch of our border 24/7/365 and the costs probably would not even be that significant.

Let's be clear about one thing, our border is porous and insecure because that's exactly how the powers-that-be want it. Nothing raises my ire more than when they spout off with their fait accompli arguments, that the sociopolitical trajectory that they have placed this country on is now inviolate and inalterable just because they say so.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »

None of the above

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »

I think troops on the border is about as hard a stance as I've heard from any of them.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »

I think troops on the border is about as hard a stance as I've heard from any of them.

Anybody thought to ask the next, most obvious question; "will they be armed -- and with ammunition -- and with orders to shoot to kill?"

Want to see the wind-chill effect from the spinning away from that answer.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »

Anybody thought to ask the next, most obvious question; "will they be armed -- and with ammunition -- and with orders to shoot to kill?"

No sh*t!!!  ::bows::

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »

First of all, you'll have to define "electable." I have a hunch that your idea of electable and mine might differ greatly.

Second, why don't you tell me who you think that candidate is? Then we can go from there.

Who is the most electable and what about that person's border security plan
makes it the more likely to be successful?

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »

IRRC, Perry has dispatched a unit of Texas Rangers in conjunction with Texas Highway Patrol, they have 5 helicopters and stuff and they are armed.  ROE, who knows, gotta tread lightly around the Fed.

Offline Janny

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »

Who is the most electable and what about that person's border security plan
makes it the more likely to be successful?

Electable by what criteria? Why don't you tell me what YOUR criteria is? Then maybe I can understand the point of your question, and figure out how to answer it?

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »

The traditional criteria: being selected to represent the Republican Party as candidate for President of the United States, then winning said election by garnering more votes from the electoral college than his opponent.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »

The traditional criteria: being selected to represent the Republican Party as candidate for President of the United States, then winning said election by garnering more votes from the electoral college than his opponent.

And the key to doing that is to attract enough independents without simultaneously pissing off the base. Unless and until we (as a party) come to terms with that we are going to end up with sloppy seconds like maccain.

Offline Janny

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 09:58:06 PM »

And which candidates meet that criteria, in your opinion?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 10:03:50 PM »

And which candidates meet that criteria, in your opinion?

I'm waiting for that answer with bated breath, too.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"