Author Topic: Bachmann: Abolish the Department of Education (video)  (Read 792 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Bachmann: Abolish the Department of Education (video)
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:49 PM »
Video linked @ realclearpolitics....

Michele Bachmann Open To Eliminating Department Of Education

"Because the Constitution does not specifically enumerate nor does it give to the federal government the role and duty to superintend over education that historically has been held by the parents and by local communities and by state governments. To put that in to the federal government as we saw with the Department of Education in the late 1970s, has eviscerated the Constitutional that the control of education truly lies with the parents. That's just one example," Presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) said at Sen. Jim DeMint's "Palmetto Freedom Forum" on Monday.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

Re: Bachmann: Abolish the Department of Education (video)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »

::heartbeat::

"Palmetto Freedom Forum", what the hey?  It wasn't reported here which indicates no participant here knew
there would be a "Palmetto Freedom Forum?  What's up with the blogosphere?  How did this event happen and
we not know about it?

It's about time she got out some good news.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:58:43 AM »
Fed's should not be involved, period.  Leave it to the states and local municipalities.

First I heard of this Forum too... ?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:21:55 AM »
Tina Korbe @ HotAir says:
"This all brings me back to why I love Bachmann as a presidential candidate (if not necessarily as the GOP nominee or actual president): She says what needs to be said to move the public dialogue in a productive direction. Sometimes, she does that by simply speaking truth. Sometimes, as now, she does it by offering up views that can then be debated, discussed, shaped and molded into a more palatable — yet-ever-so-slightly-more-conservative — position in the immediate term — while leaving the possibility of her so-called “extreme” solutions open in the long term."

I'm of the opinion that we don't have time for "more palatable - yet-ever-so-slightly-more-conservative" positions to slowly give way to "so-called extreme solutions" in the long term.

But I think Tina has it just about right. Bachmann's presence accomplishes much for the conservative movement, regardless of whether she wins the nomination.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »
She is correct Sir. ::cool::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »

Push 'em right, push 'em right, harder, harder.
                                                                Goooooo Michele.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 08:37:28 PM »

Push 'em right, push 'em right, harder, harder.
                                                                Goooooo Michele.

::cool::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:36:13 PM »
I would not come out too hard on this but rather wait for after the election to do the deed.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »
I would not come out too hard on this but rather wait for after the election to do the deed.

I would tend to agree. As much as I would like to see the Department of Indoctrination and Propaganda given the heave-ho, it is part of the unholy leftist triumvirate of power; education, social security, and welfare.

Baby steps.