Author Topic: Dad's on the bong and won't come out  (Read 1034 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Dad's on the bong and won't come out
« on: September 06, 2011, 01:52:20 AM »
I found this at Salon.com while reading Trap's earlier link about Obama voters with regrets.  I just had to link it because the title was so awesome.

Dear Cary,

My best friend from college got married late (around 40) and had two cute kids in fast order. It was something she'd always wanted. But now, several years later (her kids are 2 and 4), it's nearly impossible for me, her married with no-kids friend, to see her. Her husband, who stays home with the kids, doesn't let her go out often, and usually it has to be post-8:30 after the kids are in bed. She works, he doesn't, and he smokes a lot of pot, which I think makes him unmotivated to leave the house, and slightly incredulous that anyone else would want to.

The result of this is that it's very, very hard to see her, even if you go to her house and hang out with her and her kids. There are rules about times or day, etc. Like if you try to come for dinner after 7, that's a no-go, because she has to put the kids to bed. If you ask her on a kid-free activity, she'll ask if we can do pedicures at 9 o'clock at night or ask if she can bring the kids (which is sometimes fine, but they can't come to the symphony!). If there's a long-scheduled girl's night, there's a high probability that her husband will come up with a last-minute home DIY project and she won't be able to come. It's gotten to be that I won't even ask most of the time now. I feel too much like she's taken some sort of weird vow. She complains that she doesn't see mutual friends (most of them with kids); I think it's because they come up against a similar wall.

I've adapted by going over to her house more often to watch movies, during which her husband sits back in his study and gets stoned (I see the bongs, I smell the weed). Sometimes he's so gone by the time I leave that he can't even say goodbye.

But the comments are ten times better than the article.  I kinda got sucked into reading them.

Oh, the outrage that hubby retires to his study when you pull into the driveway.

Obviously if he doesn't feel like sitting on the couch to hang on your every brilliant word your friend is in some bad, abusive relationship. Something must be done to save her!

And the audacity of him not to work while your friend slaves away at a job. What does he think he is, a damn woman or something?

Time to call the hens together to have an "intervention". You will of course have the kid's welfare uppermost in your minds as Mr.Muggles is hauled off to the clink.

Another family destroyed, another flock of feminists empowered.

MYOB or get yourself a couple of young kids and we'll see how often you spend running with your dear friends from school days.

Anyone that has smoked pot more than once knows that it isn't possible to get so stoned that you don't say goodbye to someone when they leave your home. Even if you are smoking some 26% THC Sativa dominant chemdog variant, you say goodbye to people you like.

That the LW can't see that her friend's husband simply doesn't like her, and hence doesn't want to hang out and "watch movies" or be around her or say good bye, and instead blames his bong for this behavior, should tell you everything you need to know about LW's empathy. I imagine him feeling her judgmental eyes burning holes through him whenever she has line of sight.

Oh, boy, can I relate to that.  I have a friend who is living with a woman who is an utter moron, and she Will. Not. EVER. Shut. Up.  I cannot tolerate being in the same room with her.  Needless to say, this has been a source of friction.  And it has nothing to do with pot smoking.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Dad's on the bong and won't come out
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:07:27 AM »
Yeah, funny stuff. I thought that libs were all tolerant of alternative lifestyles and crap. I wonder how it would go if the woman in question had married a muslim and had to wear a sack in public? Anyway, found this comment:

It's disgusting that your friend so flagrantly violates that provision of the universe that everything revolves around you. I think it's atrocious that your friend isn't changing her schedule to better accommodate you- why should you, free of larval crotch-droppings, have to come at a different time than baby bedtime? The fact that this 'husband' dares to engage in an activity you don't partake in rather than one of your prescribed hobbies is an affront to all humanity. I recommend a divorce and internal exile for hubby. The property can be divided in such a way as to allow your friend to spend her nights partying with you outside the house, as you assume(wait, I mean know-) she's dying to.

This one was pretty outrageous, too...almost certainly a troll but funny nonetheless:

Parents usually want to bed down pretty early as the demands of children tax their energy. Since he likes to toke he probably also enjoys the late night sex, and having you around tends to ruin that, not to mention getting in the way of producing more kids.

You are an annoyance to him, not the other way around. It's his household, and you are a boring female that can't compete with his reefer-induced reveries.

Though maybe if you offered to join them for a threesome he might lighten up a bit, no pun intended.

Otherwise, butt out you meddlesome, moralizing wench.

I'm kind of surprised that no one invoked the spirit of WC Fields (or was it Churchill?) and said something to the effect of, "Yeah, well in the morning I'll be sober but you will still be a shrew."
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:20:40 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »
Daddy's telling lies, baby's eating flies
Mommy's on pills, baby's got the chills
I'm friends with the president, I'm friends with the Pope
We're all making a fortune, selling daddy's dope

Sitting here in Queens, eating refried beans
We're in all the magazines, gulpin' down Thorazines
We ain't got no friends, our troubles never end
No Christmas cards to send, daddy likes men

We're a happy family
We're a happy family
We're a happy family
Me, mom and daddy

Seriously, Dear Abby for leftists?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »
Mr. Muggles?  Lol.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:01:17 AM »
Mr. Muggles?  Lol.

Close.  The Ramones.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:12:11 AM »
I read stuff like this and while I may chuckle at some inanities...I mostly get annoyed with everyone involved and would just like them all to go away!!!

Must be some sort of dysfunction overload...

::puke::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Janny

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
I came away from this very confused. They personally attacked the woman who wrote the piece, but had no criticism at all for the deadbeat, pothead dad who is constantly stoned around the two year old and the four year old? Am I in the Twilight Zone? Or am I an old prude?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
I came away from this very confused. They personally attacked the woman who wrote the piece, but had no criticism at all for the deadbeat, pothead dad who is constantly stoned around the two year old and the four year old? Am I in the Twilight Zone? Or am I an old prude?

It's Salon; consider the source.  They're lefties.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 04:41:18 PM »

Whether it's a Salon or a Saloon, go there and the probability of leaving with something you don't want is almost certain.

Offline Janny

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »

It's Salon; consider the source.  They're lefties.

Okay, I guess that's all the explanation I need!  ::thumbsup::

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »
It's not my fault I'm stoned all the time. WTF
Get an F'n job you dirt bag. ::rockets:: ::cussing::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »
Another illustrative example of how leftism, despite its pretenses to tolerance/alternative, is in many ways really just an ersatz belief system built around I-wanna-do-whatever-I-want-without-consequences-and-just-who-are-you-to-judge-me?!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly