Author Topic: WOW. Michigan governor signs law capping welfare benefits at 48 months  (Read 1677 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I'm sure the Leftists are shopping for a federal judge to overturn this.

Mich. governor signs 48-month welfare limit

Gov. Rick Snyder on Tuesday signed into law a stricter, four-year lifetime limit on cash welfare benefits, prompting advocates for the poor to warn that tens of thousands of residents will find themselves without cash assistance on Oct. 1.

Michigan's first-year Republican chief executive said the state will offer exemptions to the limit for those with a disability who can't work, those who care for a disabled spouse or child and those who are 65 or older and don't qualify for Social Security benefits or receive very low benefits.

More from AP at the link...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

Re: WOW. Michigan governor signs law capping welfare benefits at 48 months
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:01:39 AM »

Michigan could be a dynamo state.  It has an ideal location for commerce and manufacturing and good farm land too/
So what's the problem Michigan, why did Detroit a prosperous city of 2,000,000 dwindle to a city of 700,000? 
Nobody did this to you.  You did it to yourself. 
Kudos Governor Rick Snyder.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:01:57 AM »
I don't think a court case can stand.

I'd be more worried about backtracking down the road.  What's law today gets repealed tomorrow...

People need to keep their eye on the ball if they hope to maintain momentum.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:06:37 AM »
Good try but I can already envision an army of welfare recipients suddenly declared to be permanently disabled. Especially with ADA advocates now pushing for "ugliness" as a disability.

If the system can be scammed it will be scammed.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:18:40 AM »

Idunno Libertas. If a federal court can declare it unconstitutional for a state to prevent non-citizens from receiving welfare benefits, I can easily see a federal court saying that there is a "right" to welfare.

I'd be more worried about backtracking down the road.  What's law today gets repealed tomorrow...

True enough.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »

Idunno Libertas. If a federal court can declare it unconstitutional for a state to prevent non-citizens from receiving welfare benefits, I can easily see a federal court saying that there is a "right" to welfare.

True enough.

But if the court case gets high enough, it'll get shot down, too many states have done this and there is nothing unconstitutional about it, or of the illegal case, they just haven't got passed the loony lower courts where judge shopping is easier...most Appellate & SCOTUS I think would side with the states.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 07:59:19 AM »
You know, I like red meat as much as anybody but that really is small potatoes in the whole budget thing.  Impress me governor.  How about a bill to limit state employees from collecting welfare, until they're age 67, just like the rest of us.  THAT is what is killing budgets.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »
You know, I like red meat as much as anybody but that really is small potatoes in the whole budget thing.  Impress me governor.  How about a bill to limit state employees from collecting welfare, until they're age 67, just like the rest of us.  THAT is what is killing budgets.

...and no double-dipping.

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 04:19:55 PM »

...and no double-dipping.
It's the double-dipping that really pisses me off.
I work for a community college and I bet 1/2 the adjuncts are 6 months retired and back for more. ::gaah:: ::cussing::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »

Michigan's first-year Republican chief executive said the state will offer exemptions to the limit for those with a disability who can't work, those who care for a disabled spouse or child and those who are 65 or older and don't qualify for Social Security benefits or receive very low benefits.

Well, who the hell is left to be affected by this law? ::facepalm::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."