Author Topic: Wednesday Chronicle: GOP Debate Focus  (Read 4289 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
Wednesday Chronicle: GOP Debate Focus
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:38:34 AM »
Images are not displayed.

Read this on the Web at http://patriotpost.us/edition/2011/09/07/chronicle/

Chronicle · September 7, 2011

The Foundation

"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave."
 --Patrick Henry

Editorial Exegesis

GOP debate"Republican presidential candidates kick off the critical fall campaign season Wednesday night when they take the stage at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif. This would be a good occasion to abandon platitudes and begin hashing out concrete ideas for addressing the nation's most pressing long-term issue -- unsustainable spending on entitlement programs. Any serious plan to get our nation's fiscal house in order -- something that all GOP contenders have promised to do -- would have to involve fundamental yet politically controversial reforms of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Over the next decade, those three programs alone will cost taxpayers $21.4 trillion under the Congressional Budget Office's rosiest scenario. ... Within 10 years, the big three entitlements are projected to account for more than half of federal spending, at which point they will already be squeezing the government's ability to deliver other needed services. ... Thus far, the candidates have adopted the prevailing wisdom of the political class, which is that GOP emphasis on specific entitlement reforms will give President Obama a bludgeon with which to hammer Republicans. Yet a failure to confront the nation's long-term fiscal situation is hurting the economy now by creating a cloud of uncertainty for businesses. Even if Obama won't take the risk of tackling entitlements, the Republicans must for the greater good."
--The Washington Examiner

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Wednesday Chronicle: GOP Debate Focus
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »
This will be the first comparative test for Rick Perry, and the first higher-profile opportunity for Bachmann to reassert herself since Iowa. Romney can outperform Perry and Perry still survives. If Perry outperforms Romney, I don't see how Romney survives.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »
This will be the first comparative test for Rick Perry, and the first higher-profile opportunity for Bachmann to reassert herself since Iowa. Romney can outperform Perry and Perry still survives. If Perry outperforms Romney, I don't see how Romney survives.

That, just about sums it all up! ::thumbsup::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »
The part where Romney doesn't survive works for me.

PS-At the MN State Fair Bachmann won the straw poll vote at the GOP booth, not entirely surprising, but given the moderates infesting the state GOP it is a hopefull sign.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »
Although the Republicans are vying for the nomination, I sincerely hope they display the knowledge that it is Obama they're running against and focus their attacks on him, not on each other.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »

An untold part of the story is, technically, how she accomplished it and who was the adviser that made it happen.

We know that RP always wins these things and that his minions were there working it.  Bachmann not only
had to win the rational vote but overcome the RP machine.  I don't think Rollins was on board then and
her team and its manager deserves some credit.  I had expected the skills that won the poll would keep
her closer to the front than has happened.

It's good that Fox is hosting the debate tonight.  Whatever faults Fox has, they have run the best debates.
They cause and allow the participants to engage.

Is Trap going to be hosting a live blogging event here tonight?

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »
Although the Republicans are vying for the nomination, I sincerely hope they display the knowledge that it is Obama they're running against and focus their attacks on him, not on each other.

I thought Chris Wallace was wrong, and I liked what Newt Gingrich said early, after awhile he should have let it go though. That go around effectively took Pawlenty out of the debate. That is not what we need this early in the game!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Holy sh*t. Newt Frikkin Gingrich just brought a tear to my eye (video)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »
Where the heck is this kind of fire and laser-like focus from this pallet of candidates? A rare moment of clarity from the much maligned RiNO establishment Newtster...

Newt Gingrich Slams Media & Obama at Reagan Library Debate
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »
So far these PMSNBC asshats are trying to get Repub furballs going, but most are not biting.

Williams and especially this other jackass are typical lefty pukes.

::puke::

::mooning::

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:27:51 PM »

That, just about sums it all up! ::thumbsup::
Double ::thumbsup:: ::thumbsup::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
Re: Holy sh*t. Newt Frikkin Gingrich just brought a tear to my eye (video)
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:34:19 PM »
What do know even a blind squirrel can find a NUT ::doh::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Holy sh*t. Newt Frikkin Gingrich just brought a tear to my eye (video)
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
Where the heck is this kind of fire and laser-like focus from this pallet of candidates? A rare moment of clarity from the much maligned RiNO establishment Newtster...

Newt Gingrich Slams Media & Obama at Reagan Library Debate

I like Newt. If I only judge him for his efforts for America, he gets an "A". I don't think he can win, but I'd hope, whoever the nominee is, they would use his knowledge to bury obama.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »
He was dead right and while I was watching the debate and saw quickly where this was going...you could tell Newt was going to unload on the MFM putz...you'd think they'd have learned from last time, but proglodytes are stuck on stupid and the MFM is as stupid as they come so of course they are going to try to push such a stupid tactic.

Most handled this MFM trash well, but I don't think Santorum or Huntsman did.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »
My dream team has always been Sarah Palin with Newt Gingrich her Vice. He would be a great caddy, and she would hit a hole in One!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »
Newt's just made too many damned politically motivated stupid mistakes for my taste. Sitting by Pelosi in a Global Warming PSA? Shoveling sh¡t on Paul Ryan's budget just at the moment it needed support?

I can't imagine that pinch-faced, chubby-cheeked wonk becoming anything other than a Secretary of _________ in somebody else's administration. There's no question he has a lot to offer. But I just do not trust the guy as representing the American people, or conservatism.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
Newt's just made too many damned politically motivated stupid mistakes for my taste. Sitting by Pelosi in a Global Warming PSA? Shoveling sh¡t on Paul Ryan's budget just at the moment it needed support?

I can't imagine that pinch-faced, chubby-cheeked wonk becoming anything other than a Secretary of _________ in somebody else's administration. There's no question he has a lot to offer. But I just do not trust the guy as representing the American people, or conservatism.

It's why I want to judge him for his accomplishments......and try to ignore his stupidity with pelosi and the Ryan thing....I actually wonder if Newt does believe the global warming crap or if he fell into the trap. I do believe he would be great as Secretary of ________.  I certainly do not want to compromise my beliefs, but I also do not want to lock someone out who has the knowledge to do some good, especially when the liberal crap flies....Newt can handle it.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 11:42:34 PM »

It's why I want to judge him for his accomplishments......and try to ignore his stupidity with pelosi and the Ryan thing....I actually wonder if Newt does believe the global warming crap or if he fell into the trap. I do believe he would be great as Secretary of ________.  I certainly do not want to compromise my beliefs, but I also do not want to lock someone out who has the knowledge to do some good, especially when the liberal crap flies....Newt can handle it.

Newt may be able to "handle it", but he doesn't get the power to impose anything, in my book.

I'm with IDP.  Newt is too willing to stand on any bandwagon.

We use his brain; he gets no power.  AT. ALL.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 12:56:26 AM »
MSDNC Poll Results

Ron Paul    44.4%(23,543 votes)
Mitt Romney    20.9%(11,070 votes)
Rick Perry    16.2%(8,568 votes)
Jon Huntsman    7.6%(4,030 votes)
Newt Gingrich    4.1%(2,177 votes)
Herman Cain    3%(1,569 votes)
Michele Bachmann    2.7%(1,414 votes)
Rick Santorum    1.2%(651 votes)

What

A

Joke.

Gotta love the followup "analysis" at MSDNC with five of five hard leftists one of whom is an abject idiot (yeah, I know, which one? Sharpton can't analyze his way out of a paper bag).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:01:25 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 06:39:25 AM »
Why, on God's green earth, would the GOP agree to do a debate on MSNBC? They have choices, for Pete's sake. Not many, but they chose the worst of the worst.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 07:06:27 AM »

Don't forget, for a smart guy, he sure let Billy-Jeff get the drop on him on SocSec, and the Left has been playing that wither on the vine meme ever since!

::gaah::