Author Topic: Wednesday Chronicle: GOP Debate Focus  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Wednesday Chronicle: GOP Debate Focus
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 07:07:18 AM »
MSDNC Poll Results

Ron Paul    44.4%(23,543 votes)
Mitt Romney    20.9%(11,070 votes)
Rick Perry    16.2%(8,568 votes)
Jon Huntsman    7.6%(4,030 votes)
Newt Gingrich    4.1%(2,177 votes)
Herman Cain    3%(1,569 votes)
Michele Bachmann    2.7%(1,414 votes)
Rick Santorum    1.2%(651 votes)

What

A

Joke.

Gotta love the followup "analysis" at MSDNC with five of five hard leftists one of whom is an abject idiot (yeah, I know, which one? Sharpton can't analyze his way out of a paper bag).

PaulBots strike again...jeez...they're like the plague!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

CatholicCrusader

Re: Holy sh*t. Newt Frikkin Gingrich just brought a tear to my eye (video)
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 07:08:27 AM »
Where the heck is this kind of fire and laser-like focus from this pallet of candidates? A rare moment of clarity from the much maligned RiNO establishment Newtster...

Newt Gingrich Slams Media & Obama at Reagan Library Debate

For my money, this was the highlight of the night. People can talk about RINO's and all that stuff, but the truth is that Newt is the smartest guy on the stage and could probably do the best job as President.

Newt had the best moment of the night, and Romney beat Perry. Romney may well have a lock on this election.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:14:28 AM by CatholicCrusader »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 07:12:21 AM »
Why, on God's green earth, would the GOP agree to do a debate on MSNBC? They have choices, for Pete's sake. Not many, but they chose the worst of the worst.

One would think there are still Ruling Class morons in the GOP who think giving such treats to reliably hostile networks will earn them points with the MFM...

Ignorance can be cured, stupid lasts for eternity...

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 07:17:38 AM »
Why, on God's green earth, would the GOP agree to do a debate on MSNBC? They have choices, for Pete's sake. Not many, but they chose the worst of the worst.

One would think there are still Ruling Class morons in the GOP who think giving such treats to reliably hostile networks will earn them points with the MFM...

On the other hand, if Republicans only appear on Fox, they feed into the sterotype. And lets face it: Independents are going to decide who is president in 2012 whether we like it or not.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 07:24:57 AM »

On the other hand, if Republicans only appear on Fox, they feed into the sterotype. And lets face it: Independents are going to decide who is president in 2012 whether we like it or not.

The have been running away from SCoaMF faster than the Dem's...so we don't have to abase ourselves too much to the MFM, hell even CNN would be better than PMSNBC!

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 07:40:23 AM »
The have been running away from SCoaMF faster than the Dem's...so we don't have to abase ourselves too much to the MFM, hell even CNN would be better than PMSNBC!

I don't disagree with you, and I despise MSNBC too. I'm just sayin'............

Besides, the debate didn't come of too bad.
Of course, I didn't dare watch the after-debate gobbldeygook. THAT panel was like a meeting of the Politburo

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 08:41:01 AM »
The whole thing about "we need to moderate the message to woo independents" has been a contrived foil for the GOP establishmentarians for decades now. This is not to say there's never a kernel of truth to it, but there is nothing conventional about 2012. The left has shown its colors over the past few years, and the vaunted independents can't run away from it fast enough. Now is not the time for a moderate squish, for two major reasons: 1) it's not necessary, the independents are already unlikely to endorse 4 more years of this and 2) only stalwart conservatism has the slightest chance of correcting course.

I stopped watching the debate when Mr. Moderator posed a question, I think it was to Rick Perry, about the income disparity between blacks and whites in his state and what he thought should be "done" to "solve" it. I'm just beyond sick of the premise that it is the duty of government to assure equality of outcome and condition. Any answer other than that only feeds the false premise.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
Going into the leftist camp for a debate is OK.  It allows us to view how our potential candidates will deal with these fools as president.  

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »
Newt Gingrich is the smartest Person in the room, any room. Having said that, he is also a jerk but, I believe most Politicians, Musicians, and Actors are. They all seem to suck at real life. Maybe they have been coddled to much? Trouble is whom ever takes the reins as our next President, God willing, is going to have to clean up a mess maybe worse than Abraham Lincoln inherited. If that person was me, Newt Gingrich would be my first choice to help. Gingrich has a horrible track record in his personal life, so do I but, no one loves their Country more, and in these dismal times, that is what really matters.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »

He's the smartest man in the room and quite possibly the most undisciplined man in the room.
We need a president who can chart a course from point A to point B and stick with it.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »
The whole thing about "we need to moderate the message to woo independents" has been a contrived foil for the GOP establishmentarians for decades now. This is not to say there's never a kernel of truth to it, but there is nothing conventional about 2012. The left has shown its colors over the past few years, and the vaunted independents can't run away from it fast enough. Now is not the time for a moderate squish, for two major reasons: 1) it's not necessary, the independents are already unlikely to endorse 4 more years of this and 2) only stalwart conservatism has the slightest chance of correcting course.

I stopped watching the debate when Mr. Moderator posed a question, I think it was to Rick Perry, about the income disparity between blacks and whites in his state and what he thought should be "done" to "solve" it. I'm just beyond sick of the premise that it is the duty of government to assure equality of outcome and condition. Any answer other than that only feeds the false premise.

There is a kernal of truth...but this election it is a small kernal. If you call yourself a "moderate" and you are voting for obama, just how "moderate" are you??? Matter of fact, if you call yourself moderate and still undeicied over obama, how moderate are you???

This country in right leaning or if we must, we can call it middle right. There is nothing middle about obama. There is a reason he is left handed.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 10:58:20 AM »
Newt Gingrich is the smartest Person in the room, any room. Having said that, he is also a jerk but, I believe most Politicians, Musicians, and Actors are. They all seem to suck at real life. Maybe they have been coddled to much? Trouble is whom ever takes the reins as our next President, God willing, is going to have to clean up a mess maybe worse than Abraham Lincoln inherited. If that person was me, Newt Gingrich would be my first choice to help. Gingrich has a horrible track record in his personal life, so do I but, no one loves their Country more, and in these dismal times, that is what really matters.

Well put.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »
It is the LEFT that must moderate obfuscate its views in order to attract the middle and win over independents. They've been lying about their true aims to win national elections ever since I started paying attention. The establishment of both parties would have us believe that the same applies to Republicans. This is a lie.

Conservatives win when they articulate conservatism. The "tack to the middle" strategy has been a failure every time it has been tried.

Reagan articulated conservatism and asked the rest of the nation to join him. He won two landslides.
George HW Bush articulated conservatism and won, then betrayed it, and lost.
Dole Tacked to the middle, and lost.
George W. Bush / Karl Rove invented "Compassionate Conservatism" - articulating fiscal and social conservative principles that could be sold to the base with populist appeal, while offering bigger and more powerful federal government as a solution to a myriad of issues.

Bush lost the popular vote, and Rove's "carve 'em up" electoral vote strategy delivered the Presidency, at great, great cost to the party and the nation.

But my point here isn't to rehash Bush, but to say that George W. Bush told us exactly who and what he was, from square one. He didn't present himself as one thing, and then morph into something else for the general election. He remained consistent through two elections and two terms as president. He wore his agenda on his sleeve, as it were.

But his appeal to the middling independents that won the White House was Karl Rove's cynical strategy to divide the American people for the benefit of a big government GOP machine. They would have us believe that only appealing to the middle can win, when the reality is that appealing to the middle was just a strategy to get a semi-conservative elected. Rove's divisive electoral map was designed to be successful winning the presidency on a semi-conservative platform, and it worked. Rove's strategy worked the way Bush needed it to work to get a semi-conservative elected, but that doesn't mean Bush was elected because the country wanted a semi-conservative. Now the intelligentsia would have us believe that only a middling Republican can get elected. Hogwash.

So for any of these GOP candidates (Romney and his supporters) to rest on the notion that the GOP nominee must be someone who can appeal to the independent middle on mushy, unprincipled ground, is a lie. You dump the Rove strategy, look at how you can divide the electoral map to get a conservative elected, and find a candidate who can appeal to that independent middle on conservative ground.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:05:04 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »

Yes, you're correct.

And the middle will respond to clarity and dependability, it is a secure comfort zone.  They did not expect Obama to destroy America, they expected him to cure the ills and they see the promise corrupt.  Conservatism clearly stated with a conviction of dependability will win everything. 

Perry said, for example,  SS is a Ponzi scheme, it is a lie to all the young people to tell them it will be there for them, he will transition out of it and that the promise will be kept to those too old to participate in the transition.  A clear truth and the pundits are calling it a faux pas.  It's a winner.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 11:39:49 AM »
I am becoming more and more disgusted with our choices as this goes on.
And the process

No, I didn't watch the debate. I was at work.

I've always subscribed to the great man(woman) theory of history.
In times of crisis, a great leader will come forth.
We're definitely in a crisis.
Who, among this bunch, looks one iota of having greatness?

Sorry, I'm on my curmudeonly, cranky old man roll

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 11:57:41 AM »
"It is the LEFT that must moderate obfuscate its views in order to attract the middle and win over independents. They've been lying about their true aims to win national elections ever since I started paying attention. The establishment of both parties would have us believe that the same applies to Republicans. This is a lie."

Great Post, we had the first and the last real true Conservative in Ronald Reagan, and for some reason, ain't no more. What happened to the Reagan Revolution? Moderate won't cut it anymore. No more stinking Liberals, and Moderates, only ushers in the next Obama or Clinton. Treachery and Lechery, ain't no way to bring up your Kids!

ttomm46

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »
No matter who you like Glen Beck said it best..the MSLSD bunch were trying their best to nullify Perry... ::thinking::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 12:07:21 PM »
True, but they and that Politico asshat hate all non-proglodytes, Perry just happened to be the new guy from a big state they had a Jones to tease!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
Very well said, IDP.  ::beertoast::

Charles, you made a good point as well -- it's past time for a conservative nominee to stand on and teach those principles and to tell the truth to people, particularly about Social Security.  Any young person halfway paying attention knows by now the "system" will not be operational for them and it makes people very cynical when they realize they're being lied to.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »
The left made a tactical error with obama, imo. I believe they feel no need to obfuscate to the "moderates" as long as the press is supporting thier diversions of the people, but hussian obama has lurched left without pretense. Mistake. He is violating the comfort zone of the uninformed and all conservatives need to do is be real conservatives.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.