Author Topic: Obama's outreach toward Muslims is limited at home  (Read 924 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
Obama's outreach toward Muslims is limited at home
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
Filed under Culture, Ethics, Featured

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a leading Muslim civil rights organization, occupies one floor of a red-brick office building on Capitol Hill. Visitors must use an elevator pass code to reach the suite, the only one in a building of tenants that is secured against attack.

On the wall of its conference room hangs a framed front page of a newspaper showing a U.S. president, standing shoeless in a mosque and reaching out in dramatic fashion to Muslim Americans.

It’s not Barack Obama, who pledged early in his presidency to combat negative stereotypes of Islam “wherever they appear.”

The clipping depicts George W. Bush. Within a week of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Bush visited the Islamic Center of Washington to remind an angry and frightened nation that “the face of terror is not the true faith of Islam.”

“That was huge,” said Nihad Awad, CAIR’s executive director, who accompanied Bush on his visit. “His statement and his visit made a big impact at home and in the world.”

Continue reading at www.washingtonpost.com

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Obama's outreach toward Muslims is limited at home
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:56:49 PM »
Yep, I'm sure it did.  One of things for which I could cheerfully smash him.

He set the "tone" and govt has only gotten chummier with and stupider about the religion of pieces.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"