Author Topic: Morning Examiner: Debates Matter  (Read 834 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
Morning Examiner: Debates Matter
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:49 AM »
By Conn Carroll

Two debate moments have defined the Republican presidential primary race so far. One sent a campaign into a slow death spiral, the other solidified a new entrant as the frontrunner.
The first moment came in June at the New Hampshire Republican debate when former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty failed to back up his “Obamneycare” charge with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney on stage with him. The exchange made Pawlenty look weak and his poll and fundraising numbers only fell after that point.
The second moment came last night when Politico’s John Harris challenged Texas Gov. Rick Perry to defend the statements he made about Social Security in his book, Fed Up! Unlike Pawlenty, Perry did not back down. He even repeated the charge from his book that the program is “a Ponzi scheme … and it’s not right.”
For Republican primary voters who are looking for a candidate who is not afraid to take on our most sacred entitlement programs, someone who will have the courage to stare down Democrats and help pass a Paul Ryan-like entitlement reform plan, Perry proved he can be that candidate last night. No other candidate has proved that yet.

Debate Reactions

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/morning-examiner-debates-matter

Me thinks all won last night and, the Marxist Moderator Williams and that Politico flunkie lost big time. About broke myself in half, jumping up and clapping a few times! Boy it hurt!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:13:06 AM by jpatrickham »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Morning Examiner: Debates Matter
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:15:46 AM »
"For Republican primary voters who are looking for a candidate who is not afraid to take on our most sacred entitlement programs, someone who will have the courage to stare down Democrats and help pass a Paul Ryan-like entitlement reform plan, Perry proved he can be that candidate last night. No other candidate has proved that yet."

That statement is simply not true. Anyone who does not see the same strength of character and conviction in Michele Bachmann has not been paying attention. One can argue her electability, but to say that she has not shown her fearlessness and conviction is just false.

It angers me when punditry purposely and purposefully overlooks people that do not fit the mold they want to place in the machine.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
"For Republican primary voters who are looking for a candidate who is not afraid to take on our most sacred entitlement programs, someone who will have the courage to stare down Democrats and help pass a Paul Ryan-like entitlement reform plan, Perry proved he can be that candidate last night. No other candidate has proved that yet."

That statement is simply not true. Anyone who does not see the same strength of character and conviction in Michele Bachmann has not been paying attention. One can argue her electability, but to say that she has not shown her fearlessness and conviction is just false.

It angers me when punditry purposely and purposefully overlooks people that do not fit the mold they want to place in the machine.

I agree, Michele Bachmann has proven her worth, and metal. She is a long ways from out of this thing!

Another view!

http://patriotupdate.com/articles/who-won-the-gop-reagan-library-debate

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »
I don't know if she's a long ways from out or not - it appears that her star may be waning. But I would attribute that at least in part to the establishment punditry's dismissal of her since the straw poll victory. Some of her wounds are self-inflicted, to be sure. But whether she has a legitimate shot at the nomination or not, it cannot be said that she lacks the courage of her convictions.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »
She is not only fearless, she was the first to express it as a candidate, she's double fearless.
I think/feeel that she has attenuated herself.  Early on she was more expressive and now more modulated.
I think it's those big time "experts" she's hired to help her with the major league opponents and that's a judgement
problem on her part.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
I said once Perry got it in it would be the Perry/Romeny show, and apart from various interludes with the others it is appearing that is the way it is shaping up.  I don't think it is so much Bachmann fading/waning as it is having a big state Gov like Perry wade in and draw attention.  All Michele has to do is bide her time and hone her message and wait for one of the big boys to knock off the other.  You can't go all-in every hand and expect to survive long, folding some pots to win a bigger one can be an effective strategy.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »
Quote from: Charles Oakwood link=topic=2792.msg31461#msg 31461 date=1315500605
She is not only fearless, she was the first to express it as a candidate, she's double fearless.
I think/feel that she has attenuated herself.  Early on she was more expressive and now more modulated.
I think it's those big time "experts" she's hired to help her with the major league opponents and that's a judgement
problem on her part.

I love Michele, I think she was inspired by Sarah Palin and maybe has got caught up in a little to much. Personally, I would love to see Michele Bachmann introduce Sara Palin, and announce to the World Sarah's intentions to run for President. Also she could announce her own intention to drop out and give 100% support to Sarah Palin. That would truly be one magnificent moment.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 01:00:48 PM »
Video: Newt wins the debate … against the moderators

9/8/2011 9:25:02 AM  Ed Morrissey

Earlier, I wrote that the Republican frontrunners won’t soon push Newt Gingrich out of the primary debates after his second attack in as many events on the moderators, and here’s why. Greg Hengler brings us the clip from last night’s
More...

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/09/08/video-newt-wins-the-debate-against-the-moderators/ ::hysterical::