Author Topic: Chinese sweet and sour sauce  (Read 4282 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Chinese sweet and sour sauce
« on: September 09, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »
This is lunch today...rice with whatever plain meat/vegs I have and this poured over.
Faster than driving to the restaurant.  My kids love it.   

1/3 c white vinegar (I use rice vinegar)
1 c water
3/4 c sugar
dash salt
dash black pepper

2 T cornstarch
2 T water
1/2 t worcestershire sauce

3 T ketchup
1/2 t ginger
1/2 T sesame oil
1/2 T cooking oil

Bring the first 5 ingredients to a boil.  Mix the next 3 ingredients and add to boiling mixture. Cook until thickens.  Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.

modified from a recipe at food.com

I think the rice vinegar and sesame oil give it a better flavor but regular would work too. I add red pepper on occassion for some heat.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Chinese sweet and sour sauce
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
Mmm!!! Definitely want the red pepper too!

::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »
That does sound good! 
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
It keeps for weeks.  Perfect for last minute meals.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:22:20 AM »
LV, I'd add some drops of Sriracha sauce.  You can go from warm to screaming hot very easily.  Tobasco and Sriracha sauces:  Both good sources of heat.

Or add some hot chili oil, like that found in spicy black bean sauce.

And I'd add a crushed garlic clove or two.  Ginger and garlic are the base ingredients in all my Chinese cooking.  You also might want to add some sliced scallions.  Plus, kill the salt and add a splash of soy, dark mushroom soy probably being a good flavor.

White sugar or brown sugar?  I normally use brown sugar in my Chinese sauces (more flavor).

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:15 AM »
All excellent suggestions RickZ.

I have to add my soy at the table because one kid doesn't like soy sauce--makes her feel "funny".

Garlic would be good--I add it to most everything anyway just hadn't thought to add it to this sauce.  Hmmm, have to try a different sugar.  I have something labeled natural cane sugar and it's brown and a bit of a different flavor.  Might try that next.

I like this sauce because it can be played around with and my kids can make it for a quick meal.  One of my girls who's looks so tiny but eats like a high school boy made a double recipe yesterday so she could make extra meals whenever she needs one.

I have a low mein recipe I've been wanting to try out since that's one of kid's favorite. There's only one restaurant in our area that makes it the way she likes it so I hope I can get close to it since they're far from us and we don't go there often.

RickZ

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »
LV,

If you have that 'rocky' natural cane sugar, be careful; I've used it before.  You might want to add it by the Tablespoon until you find out how much you need as it's a bit chunkier and the measurement won't be the same.

But yes, something like cane sugar or one of the brown sugars (no Mick jokes) adds a lot of flavor and flavor is the name of the game.  Whenever I saw Yan Can Cook on PBS, he always used brown sugar whenever he used sugar.  Usually a Tablespoon or so in a quick stir-fry sauce.

And one more suggestion.  Whenever I use oil other than sesame oil in a Chinese recipe, I always use peanut oil.  Again, a subtle flavor enhancement.  Peanut oil works great because I add peanuts to a lot of my dishes.  What can I say?  I'm from the Virginia coast, the Tidewater area, and peanut country was never far away.

Now I want me some of that peanut soup.  I'll have to pick up the ingredients Friday.  And some bread.  To make snippets for dipping.

It's funny, but a lot of Chinese recipes call for ketchup.  All that vinegar, tomato and salt combo.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
LV,

If you have that 'rocky' natural cane sugar, be careful; I've used it before.  You might want to add it by the Tablespoon until you find out how much you need as it's a bit chunkier and the measurement won't be the same.

But yes, something like cane sugar or one of the brown sugars (no Mick jokes) adds a lot of flavor and flavor is the name of the game.  Whenever I saw Yan Can Cook on PBS, he always used brown sugar whenever he used sugar.  Usually a Tablespoon or so in a quick stir-fry sauce.

And one more suggestion.  Whenever I use oil other than sesame oil in a Chinese recipe, I always use peanut oil.  Again, a subtle flavor enhancement.  Peanut oil works great because I add peanuts to a lot of my dishes.  What can I say?  I'm from the Virginia coast, the Tidewater area, and peanut country was never far away.

Now I want me some of that peanut soup.  I'll have to pick up the ingredients Friday.  And some bread.  To make snippets for dipping.

It's funny, but a lot of Chinese recipes call for ketchup.  All that vinegar, tomato and salt combo.

Thanks RickZ.

Peanuts--yeap i tend to throw a handful in even if it doesn't call for it whenever I do Chinese or Thai.  I like peanuts.  Don't have peanut oil (I must have 5 others right now but not that one)--I'll have to pick that up next shopping trip.  I'm always in for adding flavor.  I figure if I have to cook might as well make it good.  :)
I've never made peanut soup--I'm looking that one up.

I grew up on boiled peanuts.  Whenever we went to visit family my mom made a point of getting us some. 

RickZ

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 03:05:52 PM »
The peanut soup I ate in Williamsburg, VA, in the historic district at one of the 3 eateries; the one I ate at was called the King's Arms Tavern.

We liked it so much, my ex and I made it at home.  The first time sucked, it wasn't thick enough; the chopped peanuts garnish must float.  So we made the recipe again, and this time boiled the chicken stock.  Worked like a charm.

I'd search for 'Williamsburg peanut soup recipe' as a starting point.

Believe me, it is delicious.  Of course, you have to like peanuts and peanut butter, but it is a very nice winter soup.  Thick and hearty, served with bread, those snippets, which resemble biscotti but much softer, softer than a crouton.  But they are slightly toasted dipping sticks (haven't ever made those yet as I used bakery fresh sesame sticks at home).  But the soup is really good.  I always had the pan fried rabbit for dinner and pecan pie for dessert.  A rum punch to start things off.  Always liked going to Williamsburg in the cooler weather.  Less tourists and no lines for the restaurants.  And the food can be quite entertaining, if you go for entertaining 'theme' food.  They also have frog legs.  Stuff the colonials would have eaten as it was the stuff that grew around them.  Pewter plates, heavy silverware but with that stupid 3 tine fork.  I always recommend going to one of the restaurants if one ever goes to Williamsburg.  It really is part of the experience.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »

Always liked going to Williamsburg in the cooler weather.  Less tourists and no lines for the restaurants.  

I always recommend going to one of the restaurants if one ever goes to Williamsburg.  It really is part of the experience.

I like going anywhere with less tourists! lol  Homeschooling the kids means we can go off season a lot of times.  Been a few years since we went to Williamsburg.  I'll remember to put a restaurant on the schedule next time.

And here's a link to the recipe from that tavern for anyone else who's interested:

http://www.history.org/Almanack/life/food/fdpnutsp.cfm

(looks like a lot of interesting stuff to click on at this website also--just found this--they post recipes from the 18th century updated for today. http://recipes.history.org/  )
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:23:43 PM by LadyVirginia »

RickZ

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 05:28:05 AM »
Not in the mood for soup yet, so I opted for ham salad.

It's sad that today, one sees chicken salad, egg salad and tuna salad, but hardly ever does one see the best of the bunch, ham salad.

I guess that's why I make it.  I also want some string beans, and they are connected.

I buy that Cook's Smoked Ham Steak, packed in water (I suppose).  So I take the center ham bone(s) and, in a cup or so of water, bring them to a boil, then a slow simmer to reduce by 40-50%.  Once done, I strain it, then let it cool and either refrigerate it or have it ready to use a little later.

I take the ham steak and cut into thin strips then, cutting across, almost shred the strips.  Because there's so much water, I then take a handful of chopped ham and squeeze it over a bowl.  I then put the ham onto a paper lined plate to pat dry.  The key here is getting all the liquid you can out of the ham.  I found this out the hard way.  The first time I made this last year, I did not squeeze the ham.  After a couple of days I ended up with what could charitably be called chilled ham soup.  So I squeeze, and squeeze hard.  The liquid is now going to go for the beans, along with the quick stock.  Trim and cut the string beans in halves/thirds.  Put into something like a skillet with a lid.  Add the string beans, black pepper, and the two liquids.  (You can add a touch of unsalted butter at ths point.)  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a slow bubble and remove the lid.  Cook, stirring infrequently, for about 10-15 minutes, or until they are done to your taste (I like them a little on the crispy side).  If you see the liquid going before they are cooked, reduce the heat further and cover with the lid to finish to the desired doneness.  Once cooked, I taste for salt, then, removing with a slotted spoon to drain the liquid, I serve topped with with some slivered almonds that were lightly toasted in butter and allowed to cool.

The ham salad is the squeezed ham, some minced gherkins, 2-3 TBS minced shallots cooked in a few drops of olive oil, horseradish, dijon mustard, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper and dried tarragon, all to taste.  But keep the salad stiff, not even moist.  Just damp.  Some water will come out over time.  But once it refrigerates and sets, it becomes a very scoopable salad.  Not only is it good for sandwiches and the like, but this can turn into party finger food as well.  Lightly stuff the ham salad into endive leaves, making ham salad boats.  On those, you could even top with a little fresh cut green onion or minced chive.  Very pretty, tasty and imminently holdable.  A fun use for endive.

But yeah, the ham salad's good AND I get string beans out of the deal.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »
Ah, ham salad.  Haven't had that in years.  In fact, I  mentioned it the other day while my daughter was eating a ham sandwich and she wanted to know what it was.  My mom used to make it when I was a kid.  I never got in to making all the salad type sandwiches like my mom did.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »
Just finished up some home made ham salad.
I did a ham a week or so ago and when we were done eating chunks and slices, wife made ham salad

Dinner today when my daughter gets home from school is crock pot country ribs and fried green tomatoes.

We had the tomatoes the other day and I was pretty my daughter wouldn't like them but she agreed to try them
She loved them and wanted more.

My wife usually makes the ribs but today it's my job.

Scouted out some recipes and customized my own.

Brown sugar, mustard, bbq sause and teriyaki sauce.
Don't know how it will turn out but smells good

RickZ

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
Just finished up some home made ham salad.
I did a ham a week or so ago and when we were done eating chunks and slices, wife made ham salad

My now deceased aunt and I always made a ham salad out of the leftovers every Thanksgiving at her house on Pokey (short for Pocahontas) Mountain in West By God, right on the Virginia border.  (The house was in West Virginia, but the town at the bottom of the hill with the post office was in Virginia; that always led to some entertaining moments.)  Boy, was that some good ham salad.  We picked through twice to get rid of fat/gristle (I followed her and she followed me), then used one of those table attachment hand crank cast iron grinders.  The only change I made was I like to add the dried tarragon.  I also substituted for pickles (which I do not like) with gherkins (and some juice), which I seem to enjoy.  Maybe because they're so small, but I've always liked cornichons.  Gherkins seem to give a sweetness offset by the horseradish.  But one must use tarragon judiciously as it is easily overdone. There's a point, though, where the smoky sweet licorice mustard horseradish pig mayo flavors meld into what can only be described as Nirvana, at least Nirvana for those who like and appreciate ham salad.  And stiff.  Spreadable but not loose.  And always cold.  Hell, use crackers if you have to.  A great dip for something hefty, like a good cracker.  But I never put ham salad on toast.  It's always soft bread, wheat or white.  You can cut it into 4 squares if you want to be cute or to make canapes.  Maybe with a toothpick and half a green olive in the center.

As you can tell, I like thinking about dishes, not just taste, but presentation.  It's part of my joy of cooking.  And . . . it seems to work.  I mean, what I just wrote sounds good to me.  Now if I could just find some wench to make it for me.  Alas and alack.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:16:32 AM by RickZ »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »
LV, I'd add some drops of Sriracha sauce.  You can go from warm to screaming hot very easily. 

I've found this to be an excellent experimental sauce in a lot of dishes that lend themselves to being toyed with on the "heat meter". It's flavor is less distinct than other hot sauces, so it can add heat without messing up flavor. I wish they sold a smaller bottle though. It gets used so sparingly that I never, ever finish one before I need to replace it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 01:12:19 PM »
 Hell, use crackers if you have to.  A great dip for something hefty, like a good cracker.

That made me smile.  I used to do just that as a kid-- couldn't be bother making a sandwich.  Ate it straight out of the bowl.  Usually mom had Ritz in the house so I used those.

I mean, what I just wrote sounds good to me.  

Sounds good to me too.  :)

RickZ

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 02:34:38 PM »
I've found this to be an excellent experimental sauce in a lot of dishes that lend themselves to being toyed with on the "heat meter". It's flavor is less distinct than other hot sauces, so it can add heat without messing up flavor. I wish they sold a smaller bottle though. It gets used so sparingly that I never, ever finish one before I need to replace it.

I don't know when I got my first bottle, 2004-05, somewhere in there, maybe 2006 but no later; I saw it on many a cooking show and was . . . intrigued.  I'm on my second large bottle now, almost gone.  I use the stuff in almost everything.  Honest to god, but it is a great flavor - with heat.

The thing that takes me the longest to use is my gigunda pound bag of dried Thai chilis.  I bought a bag somewhere around 1991-92, and only finished the bag sometime around 2006.  I'm on my second bag, and this one, too, will last years.  I use the dried chilis ground up in a coffee grinder (I have 2, 1 for coffee and one for cooking), either rough cut or fine.  I saved one of my spice jars and use that for crushed red pepper.  I also dry roast the dried chilis and add to things, as well as not dry roasting but adding whole chilis to things (and later removing).  I love the versatility of dried chilis.

I also used another empty small spice jar to create a pizza topper:  Thyme, basil, oregano, black pepper, red pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.  Keeps in a screw lid jar for some time.  Just shake and sprinkle.  Fresh grated cheese neva hoit.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »

... Usually mom had Ritz in the house so I used those...

Speaking of Ritz... you know how they intermittently put the "Mock Apple Pie" recipe on the back of the box? I've never made it, but out of curiosity, I tried cinnamon applesauce as a dip for Ritz Crackers once, and it is absolutely delightful. I still keep the combo around, and everyone I've ever turned onto it loves it.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 09:12:48 PM »

... Usually mom had Ritz in the house so I used those...

Speaking of Ritz... you know how they intermittently put the "Mock Apple Pie" recipe on the back of the box? I've never made it, but out of curiosity, I tried cinnamon applesauce as a dip for Ritz Crackers once, and it is absolutely delightful. I still keep the combo around, and everyone I've ever turned onto it loves it.

Always wondered what that pie would be like.  But the crackers never lasted long enough for me to rmember trying it.  Struck me that it would be like eating layers of crust flavored like apple pie.

I can see the applesauce/cracker combo working---have to mention that one to my daughters.  :)