Author Topic: John F. Kennedy: Tea Party Favorite  (Read 2187 times)

CatholicCrusader

John F. Kennedy: Tea Party Favorite
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:32:14 AM »
>>>>>

My oh my, don't Kennedy's statements on taxes sound awfully familiar:

"It is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now ... Cutting taxes now is not to incur a budget deficit, but to achieve the more prosperous, expanding economy which can bring a budget surplus."

– John F. Kennedy, Nov. 20, 1962, president's news conference

"Lower rates of taxation will stimulate economic activity and so raise the levels of personal and corporate income as to yield within a few years an increased – not a reduced – flow of revenues to the federal government."

– John F. Kennedy, Jan. 17, 1963, annual budget message to the Congress, fiscal year 1964

"It is no contradiction – the most important single thing we can do to stimulate investment in today's economy is to raise consumption by major reduction of individual income tax rates."

– John F. Kennedy, Jan. 21, 1963, annual message to the Congress: "The Economic Report Of The President

"A bill will be presented to the Congress for action next year. It will include an across-the-board, top-to-bottom cut in both corporate and personal income taxes. It will include long-needed tax reform that logic and equity demand ... The billions of dollars this bill will place in the hands of the consumer and our businessmen will have both immediate and permanent benefits to our economy. Every dollar released from taxation that is spent or invested will help create a new job and a new salary. And these new jobs and new salaries can create other jobs and other salaries and more customers and more growth for an expanding American economy."

– John F. Kennedy, Aug. 13, 1962, radio and television report on the state of the national economy

"The largest single barrier to full employment of our manpower and resources and to a higher rate of economic growth is the unrealistically heavy drag of federal income taxes on private purchasing power, initiative and incentive."

– John F. Kennedy, Jan. 24, 1963, special message to Congress on tax reduction and reform

"This administration pledged itself last summer to an across-the-board, top-to-bottom cut in personal and corporate income taxes ... Next year's tax bill should reduce personal as well as corporate income taxes, for those in the lower brackets, who are certain to spend their additional take-home pay, and for those in the middle and upper brackets, who can thereby be encouraged to undertake additional efforts and enabled to invest more capital ... I am confident that the enactment of the right bill next year will in due course increase our gross national product by several times the amount of taxes actually cut."

– John F. Kennedy, Nov. 20, 1962, news conference

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: John F. Kennedy: Tea Party Favorite
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:11:28 AM »
hmmm, not my favorite ... always suspicious of anyone the media likes...    ::thinking::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:13:31 AM »
JFK would not survive the Democrat primaries of today...that is a fact.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »
His conservative view on taxes is probably why he was killed.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:26:56 AM »

Curious as to why you think that?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 09:36:44 AM »

He was hawkish on national defense, as most Democrats back then were, maybe not as much as Nixon or Goldwater, but in todays terms he was.  And he was for lower taxes and wasn't out to destroy the capitalist system like latter day Democrats.  He was more liberal on social issues, but that would not be enough to get a party endorsement today.  If latter day Democrats were not captives of the hard left, then people like Sam Nunn and Zell Miller would have a shot at capturing a nomination, not Mondale, Dukakis, Kerry & Obama!  Having said that do not take this as an endorsement, I'm just stating the facts as I see them.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 09:45:54 AM »
And part of our problem is that so many, particularly older, Democrats believed for decades that their party was still that party of yesteryear. My parents are the first generation of Republicans in my family. All of the older generation were Democrats just "because". And these were conservative people, too. I think that continues to be a problem even today. Everyone who is a Republican knows why they're a Republican. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 of Democrats hold views that don't coincide with their party's platform.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 10:16:06 AM »
Far too conservative and hawkish.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »
And part of our problem is that so many, particularly older, Democrats believed for decades that their party was still that party of yesteryear. My parents are the first generation of Republicans in my family. All of the older generation were Democrats just "because". And these were conservative people, too. I think that continues to be a problem even today. Everyone who is a Republican knows why they're a Republican. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 of Democrats hold views that don't coincide with their party's platform.

True dat.

One of my brothers favorite sayings is, "You cannot reason someone out of a notion they were never reasoned into." If it is an emotion-based bias or prejudice - especially an inherited one - it's tough to ever break oneself away from.

I once witnessed a fascinating exchange. I was working for a company that had world-wide branch offices and international employees. Two men are in a conference room having a casual conversation when one, a muslim, discovered that the other was a Jew. What had been a perfectly ordinary conversation instantly turned into a tense confrontation.

An ancient mindless prejudice was the only thing that had changed.

I bet most of you have encountered democrats who, when asked why they are democrats reply, "Our family has always voted democrat." How many of you know Republicans who say the same?

By and large we are conservative because we think our way through issues and problems. It is our introspection and reflection, and questioning that differentiates us from democrats who are readily willing to accept what they are told.

Assassination saved the Kennedy legacy from ignominy. He was a lousy president who spent most of his time philandering. A playboy who never worked an honest day in his life, he approached nearly every aspect of American life as an outsider. He didn't relate to us and didn't care. He blundered his way into the Cuban Missile Crisis and nearly got us all killed.

And, as IDP suggests, his tax policies went against the grain of his fellow democrats.

The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 11:24:48 AM »

True dat.

One of my brothers favorite sayings is, "You cannot reason someone out of a notion they were never reasoned into." If it is an emotion-based bias or prejudice - especially an inherited one - it's tough to ever break oneself away from.

I once witnessed a fascinating exchange. I was working for a company that had world-wide branch offices and international employees. Two men are in a conference room having a casual conversation when one, a muslim, discovered that the other was a Jew. What had been a perfectly ordinary conversation instantly turned into a tense confrontation.

An ancient mindless prejudice was the only thing that had changed.

I bet most of you have encountered democrats who, when asked why they are democrats reply, "Our family has always voted democrat." How many of you know Republicans who say the same?

By and large we are conservative because we think our way through issues and problems. It is our introspection and reflection, and questioning that differentiates us from democrats who are readily willing to accept what they are told.

Assassination saved the Kennedy legacy from ignominy. He was a lousy president who spent most of his time philandering. A playboy who never worked an honest day in his life, he approached nearly every aspect of American life as an outsider. He didn't relate to us and didn't care. He blundered his way into the Cuban Missile Crisis and nearly got us all killed.

And, as IDP suggests, his tax policies went against the grain of his fellow democrats.

The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy.

Both y'all make excellent points and I find no error in any of them!

::thumbsup::

I have old Dem friends that fit that "our family always" category...when I tease them about this they go nuts, I've told them a million times JFK would get his political ass handed to him today and they turn pale, I list the reasons why they spit and sputter and 99 times out of a 100 try to deflect by bringing up Richard F'n Nixon!
 ::hysterical::

Some leftards are incurable!  But I do like holding mirrors up to their faces and torturing them!

::danceban::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »

Yeah, well back then they just made sure you didn't survive.  He was killed by a lefty, and while its all conspiracy theory, I would not be surprised if LBJ had a hand in it. After all , JFK had served his purpose, and was now more useful as a martyr to "the cause" - especially since he was turning out to not be an adherent to it.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 12:03:42 PM »

http://www.therightbrothers.com/audio/two/this_aint_your_daddys_party.mp3

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
Describes perfectly what I often hear from older folks here:  always been democrats; my daiddy was a democrat, my daiddy's daiddy was a democrat, my daiddy's daiddy's daiddy was a democrat .........

Ya gotta wonder if they think it's DNA-specific ........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 01:36:52 AM »

• Big on military defense, especially build-up of nuclear missile capability.
    Low Tax Advocate
    Catholic
    Fought union corruption

RickZ

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 07:01:46 AM »
Another pro-TEA Party plank:  Kennedy hated commies (probably because Krushchev handed him his lunch at their first summit).

Like so many current old-school Dems have stated, the Democrat Party has left them, not the other way around.  Today, Kennedy would make a nice Scott Brown squishy Massachuestts RINO, but defintiely not a Democrat presidential candidate.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »

He probably would have switched Parties!

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »

As a matter of fact , I say that quite frequently . What I actually say is ; " My family has been Republican ever since it stopped being Whig ."  With damned few exceptions , the bones of my family have been buried in this country since before The Revolution and those were conservative , freedom loving , hard working bones .

I see nothing wrong with a long family line of people who have , by and large , lived and voted responsibly .

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 08:51:18 PM »
hmmm, not my favorite ... always suspicious of anyone the media likes...    ::thinking::

Don't fret, the media conveniently leaves these little speeches and proposals from JFK Just like they did for Ronaldus Magnus because it suits them to do so. Unethical, you bet but who said they had any to begin with. ::gaah::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.