Author Topic: Montana: The Next Battleground  (Read 1675 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Montana: The Next Battleground
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:23:25 PM »
Take a quick read through this commentary at BigGovernment.

It sort of makes what's going on in WI and OH look like pretty small potatoes by comparison.

Me?  I'll be cheering them on.  

Worst case scenario for conservatives?  It gives the leftists yet another opportunity for unforced errors in regard to their stance on liberty and freedom.

From the article:

In Montana, they are trying to right the ship by restoring a constitutional balance of powers that constrains the federal government’s habit of infringing on the rights of the people.

What the newly elected Republicans in Montana are saying is that they know their constitutional options, and that those options haven’t been recognized or respected by the federal government for some time now.

It appears that such options, embodied in the rights “reserved to the States respectively,” are about to be re-asserted one by one, as they re-enter the political lexicon. And what’s bothering the left is the fact that such a re-assertion flips their worldview on its head, because it reserves powers to the people that the federal government cannot control.

A linked article in the above story:

With each bill, newly elected tea party lawmakers are offering Montanans a vision of the future.

Their state would be a place where officials can ignore U.S. laws, force FBI agents to get a sheriff’s OK before arresting anyone, ban abortions, limit sex education in schools and create armed citizen militias.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:28:09 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Montana: The Next Battleground
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:32:47 PM »
I like it!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:58:50 PM »
"Don't tread on me!"

Seems I've heard that somewhere before...?   ;)

Dang, now I have a quandary...I kinda like Texas as a bolt-too state, but Montana if they carry through with this, is offering up a strong candidate!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 07:40:38 AM »
Why, they say "create armed citizen militias" like it's a bad thing! The states are supposed to have the power to raise and maintain their own militia, and the notion that they have them through the National Guard is a farce. Each state's NG has some veneer of accountability to the Governor, but they can be and have been federalized at the stroke of a pen.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:19:29 AM »
"Don't tread on me!"

Dang, now I have a quandary...I kinda like Texas as a bolt-too state, but Montana if they carry through with this, is offering up a strong candidate!

I have two words for you: WOOL SOCKS!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »
"Don't tread on me!"

I have two words for you: WOOL SOCKS!

Yah shuure, got dem already, dontchya know?!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.