Author Topic: Those Post-9/11 -isms and -ologies: A Look Back at a Decade  (Read 1379 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Those Post-9/11 -isms and -ologies: A Look Back at a Decade
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
A truly outstanding piece by Victor Davis Hanson.

Like millions of Americans, I did not sleep much on the night of September 11. I was horrified all day, but by the evening of September 11, 2001, increasingly angry. Horrified because 3,000 innocents had been murdered not just by 7th-century fanatical terrorists, but by cruel Dark-Age murderers who, in the best parasitical fashion, had managed to gnaw at their distracted host from the inside.

That duplicity was eerie and creepy — the premeditated design of Middle Easterners to live among and blend in for months with the very culture they despised and wished to destroy. Their hatred soon translated into sixteen acres of ash in Manhattan and a smoking Pentagon. Most of us could no longer watch the tape of those jumping off the World Trade Center, calibrating in extremis whether it was worse to implode on the concrete or be incinerated in their offices. Those images have never left us.

The entire day was ghoulish, and by evening, like some of you, I was worried that a number of post-modern Western ideologies of the last three decades were not only known to bin Laden’s gang, but comprehensively so to the point they would be used serially against the West in brilliantly sinister fashion. Was 9/11 the beginning of something even worse? No civilization could endure three or four successive attacks such as those on September 11.

Excellent comments, too.  Read 'em all.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Those Post-9/11 -isms and -ologies: A Look Back at a Decade
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:10:21 AM »
Most of us could no longer watch the tape of those jumping off the World Trade Center ...

What tapes?  We watched almost all day, every day, until Thursday, without seeing anyone jumping off the Trade Center.  We were told briefly that it happened, but the images of it were obfuscated.

And, to this day, we're still not allowed to see them, unedited.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:21:19 AM »

There is a scene from inside one of the towers, the Priest who died was there talking with some others - one must have been a reporter with a camera man, all the while there was this thumping - thump... ....thump... ...thump thump, someone asked, what is that? Bodies, he replied.

There was a porta cache in front and they were landing on its roof. thump

Palestinians celebrating the fall of the twin towers on 911

Never Forget

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:15:52 AM »
I, too, don't remember any video of people jumping on that day.  But honestly, though I watched all day I can't recall what I saw and I barely left the tv.   It was too much.  What I remember now is what I saw days and months later. 

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:30:08 AM »
I also don't remember seeing video of people jumping that day.  I was otherwise occupied.  (See here and scroll down almost to the bottom.)

But I do remember seeing pictures in the newspapers and reading descriptions and accounts.  There were a lot of jumpers.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »
I also don't remember seeing video of people jumping that day.  I was otherwise occupied.  (See here and scroll down almost to the bottom.)

But I do remember seeing pictures in the newspapers and reading descriptions and accounts.  There were a lot of jumpers.

I don't remember Monday, September 10th.  I can guess what I was doing--the same thing I would've been doing any week day back then.  No idea that in just 24 hours I would be gripped by fear and anger I'd never experienced before.  I remember the minutes leading up to when my husband called from the other room,  "Turn on the tv now!" I know what I was doing.  And to this day I think about the people killed--and their families and what they were doing. 

I heard the other day that it's estimated that around 200 people jumped.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 02:59:46 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c6Rb5B0vrgI

Comment: Link

What a beautiful tribute to an ugly sad day. I was watching Fox when the first reports came in and couldn’t walk away the rest of the day or week for that matter. Other than God and family, I love America most. Having lived oversea’s, my husband served in the Air Force for 24 years, I can honestly say, there is no other place like America. We can not allow it to be taken from us by people who see death more sacred than life. The song only added to the feeling of loss. Does anyone know who the singer was? Her voice is familiar but can’t place it.

HT:  REDSTATE

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
I didn't catch his name, but Fox had a gentlemen on aroun 11-12 oclock (central) and they were showing pics of some who had jumped.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »
My blood still boils whenever I revisit this!

::gaah::

Words like respect, restraint and coexistence lose their meaning in the face of such evil...I want every last one of them and all who spawned them obliterated!

I heard on Fox thins morning some lady say the remains of thousands are to be entombed in a basement beneath the memorial in NYC, anybody confirm this?  She sick at the tohought of this and wondered why we cannot have an above ground tomb like the Tomb of the Unknowns.  I agree.  It seems as if they are being made a footnote and it seems disrespectful in the extreme to me.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 09:00:40 AM »
I didn't catch his name, but Fox had a gentlemen on aroun 11-12 oclock (central) and they were showing pics of some who had jumped.

I caught that segment too.  He'd been working fashion week when he got a call to head over to the WTC. 

Someone I was listening to yesterday pointed out that it's impossible to know who jumped, who fell or otherwise got pushed out the windows.  Apparently, some were observed trying to use makeshift parachutes when they jumped only to have the fabric ripped from them as they fell.