Author Topic: NFL Regular Season Thread  (Read 5786 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
NFL Regular Season Thread
« on: September 11, 2011, 01:03:36 PM »
I have not been able to slavishly devote myself to sitting on the couch eating popcorn and drinking beer while watching football for the last couple of years and this one looks to be largely no different from those.

Nevertheless, I will try to make an effort to see at least one game a week (maybe two with Monday night thrown in). That said, I have already made my self imposed quota for this week by catching the season opener between New Orleans and Green Bay.

That was actually a pretty decent game and was competitive all the way to the very end. Green Bay scored first and New Orleans blew their first possession with a fumble turnover on their first set of downs. That allowed Green Bay to score again and they were pretty much in command with New Orleans playing catch up for the rest of the game. There was one particular play that stood out in my mind...I think it was a kickoff return...where the receiver did what amounted to a head first barrel roll at midfield, landed on his feet, and continued to go down the field for a touchdown...a 100 yard kickoff return. Even my non-sports enthusiast spouse was amazed by that.

Today I will be out of the house for a large part of the day so I won't be able to see the afternoon games. Hope to see the evening game.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: NFL Regular Season Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »
My team is the Panthers. Should be a dismal season.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »
The opening with the giant American flag opened across the field and the National Anthem belted out, followed by the fans chanting USA was the best part.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 04:38:21 PM »
I loved the  intro(s) by the NFL. It was amazing. I watched the Chicago pre game. Another one of my (many) gripes about Chicago is there insistance to cheer thru the National Anthem......But on this occasion, it seemed quite appropriate.

In the other hand the Titans, uh, looked like a 6 win team....maybe. Hurry up hockey season.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Janny

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »
Urlacher!

Enough said!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »
Nice to see the Vikings haven't forgot how to give it away in the 4th quarter...

::facepalm::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Janny

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »
Nice to see the Vikings haven't forgot how to give it away in the 4th quarter...

My condolences....

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »
Dallas blows it big time.

I thought they had it in the bag early in the third with a fourteen point lead.

But inexplicably the Jets pulled off a miracle win inside the two minute warning.

The Jets did what New Orleans couldn't do on opening night.

Unreal.

The Cowboys had NEVER lost a game with a fourteen point lead before tonight.

Never. Until now.

Great 9/11 win for the home team.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »
28 passing yards for the Vikes. I can't recall a team ever being held to 28 yards passing. I'm sure it's happened, or the announcers would've been gushing on and on over the stat. But that's damn low.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Janny

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 11:03:35 PM »

But inexplicably the Jets pulled off a miracle win inside the two minute warning.

Unreal.

Never. Until now.

I only saw the 4th qtr. What an odd finish to that game. The Cowboys looked like the Keystone Cops!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 11:43:42 PM »

Unreal.

Never. Until now.

I only saw the 4th qtr. What an odd finish to that game. The Cowboys looked like the Keystone Cops!

They were in complete command until that point. And then it all sort of unravelled. Still without that late turnover the Jets wouldn't have had a chance. It was the Cowboys' game to lose and they did just that. The Jets had never had the lead until they won the game.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 07:18:14 AM »
Dallas is slow to realize that the real problem with their offense is at QB, with the talent they have, they should be much better, but Romo has a habit of blowing it in big games.

As for McNabb, 39 yards and 47.9 rating, good for dead last.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2011/seasontype/2

I'd rather see the rookie play...

::unknowncomic::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 07:40:36 AM »
I'm gonna have a tough time tonight alternating between MNF and the Republican debate.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 07:43:09 AM »
Another debate?  Dare I ask who is hosting this one?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 07:51:42 AM »
Another debate?  Dare I ask who is hosting this one?

Tea Party Express broadcast on CNN with Wolfie as moderator. And there had better be some damn questions about the economy this time.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 08:07:22 AM »
Another debate?  Dare I ask who is hosting this one?

Tea Party Express broadcast on CNN with Wolfie as moderator. And there had better be some damn questions about the economy this time.

Wolf Blitzed?

Well, maybe if he shows up half gassed it might at least be entertaining...

Economy?  Economy is kicking ass right?  Oh, asses kicked to the curb is not the right kinda kick ass....riiiight!

::hysterical::

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 09:12:52 AM »
I didn't get to it until the middle of the 4th quarter but the Steelers had their butts handed to them by the Ravens

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »
I have DirecTV and for just the day allowed NFL package. I am still trying to recover. Why on earth would anyone subject themselves to trying to consciously try and pay attention to all those games. Got a kind of hangover. My team the Colts, folded their tent. Sat this one out. Must be looking for a high draft pick for next year. Just in case Peyton Manning doesn't come back.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
I didn't get to it until the middle of the 4th quarter but the Steelers had their butts handed to them by the Ravens

I'm a Steelers fan and I wasn't worried about the game till about 1/2 way through the second quarter, by that time the black and gold had turned over the ball 3 times and I thought that they looked terrible.  By the end there were 7 turnovers by the Steelers. :'(  I hope that this was all the bad games rolled up into one and that it is all behind us now.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »

I'm a Steelers fan and I wasn't worried about the game till about 1/2 way through the second quarter, by that time the black and gold had turned over the ball 3 times and I thought that they looked terrible.  By the end there were 7 turnovers by the Steelers. :'(  I hope that this was all the bad games rolled up into one and that it is all behind us now.

Wasn't it a strange day? The Steelers, Falcons, Colts, and Chiefs should have stayed home. I assume by yesterdays debacle, the Patriots will have their head handed to them! ::bashing::