Author Topic: NFL Regular Season Thread  (Read 5775 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: NFL Regular Season Thread
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 02:20:50 PM »
I believe we found out today how valuable Peyton Manning is to the Colts. You can't trot out that defense if you can't score.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »
I believe we found out today how valuable Peyton Manning is to the Colts. You can't trot out that defense if you can't score.

Also, there lackadaisical style starting a new season. Always seems the first few games, they aren't ready. It really sowed up without Manning. Caldwell had better pull a miracle from his bag of tricks! Also Manning is 35 years old. Time to shop for a heir apparent in the next draft. Love the Quarterback from Arizona St. or Arizona. He is six foot eight, mobile with a rifle arm. Could be picked up early in the second round unless others notice him.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 11:17:14 PM »
I didn't get to it until the middle of the 4th quarter but the Steelers had their butts handed to them by the Ravens
...and I was fortunate to be there to witness the spectacle. Hines Ward will be seeing stars for the near future. I supposed he opened his mouth one to many times. Worthlessberger was running for his life most of the game(great to see) Alas the NFL(Not for Long) did what thety could to even it up calling into questionable penalties par for the course but te crowd noise was deafening and I was certainly glad to participate. ::newyear::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 06:47:20 AM »
Miami should be banned from the league!  They let a QB have over 500 yards passing?  I don't care who they play, that is pathetic.  And letting a shrimp receiver score a 99 yard TD?

::puke::

Yes, I am PO'd, this candy-pants defense cost me my FF game!

Rotten fish!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 10:01:18 AM »
Miami should be banned from the league!  They let a QB have over 500 yards passing?  I don't care who they play, that is pathetic.  And letting a shrimp receiver score a 99 yard TD?

Rotten fish!

Everything is set up for Brady to pad his record. Can't stand them, act like a College team. Not afraid to run a score up on a team but, when the shoe is on the other foot, cry and wine like a bunch of babies. Trouble is, they look like the class of the AFC again.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
Miami should be banned from the league!  They let a QB have over 500 yards passing?  I don't care who they play, that is pathetic.  And letting a shrimp receiver score a 99 yard TD?

Rotten fish!

Everything is set up for Brady to pad his record. Can't stand them, act like a College team. Not afraid to run a score up on a team but, when the shoe is on the other foot, cry and wine like a bunch of babies. Trouble is, they look like the class of the AFC again.

I'm hoping Baltimore will have something to say about that.

ETA - And don't forget the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 10:21:32 AM »
Miami should be banned from the league!  They let a QB have over 500 yards passing?  I don't care who they play, that is pathetic.  And letting a shrimp receiver score a 99 yard TD?

Rotten fish!

Anybody but the Patriots. To many Liberals up there.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »

Rotten fish!

Anybody but the Patriots. To many Liberals up there.

Hey, we got Dan up there, he alone offsets at least a thousand of that other ilk!

::whoohoo::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »
My team looked better than I expected they would. Mainly I'm glad to see that Cam Newton is showing signs that he could be the real deal. It's still gonna be an ugly season though. They can't establish their usually-solid ground game and the DBs are getting torched at will.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 08:04:42 PM »
My team looked better than I expected they would. Mainly I'm glad to see that Cam Newton is showing signs that he could be the real deal. It's still gonna be an ugly season though. They can't establish their usually-solid ground game and the DBs are getting torched at will.

That young Man has Talent. I look forward to seeing him play!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 06:32:04 AM »

They do have to get D-Will & Stewart going, otherwise you get pass happy and the defense bears the brunt of the time of possession, and no defense can sustain that imbalance for long.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 10:49:17 PM »
Doesn't help that Jon Beason is out for the season, one of the best inside LBs in the league. Really though for the first time in several seasons they will actually be interesting to watch, with a genuine eye toward future improvement. It would seem that Denver is now getting a taste of the coaching regime Carolina finally sh*tcanned after 9 seasons.

They play Green Bay this Sunday, a match up that has inexplicably solicited advance trash talking by cheeseheads on the Panthers forum. Uh, there's a reason we had the #1 draft pick this year. Talking trash about beating Carolina is like going home with the fat chick at closing time and bragging about it.

I do love football season.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 06:41:34 AM »
Doesn't help that Jon Beason is out for the season, one of the best inside LBs in the league. Really though for the first time in several seasons they will actually be interesting to watch, with a genuine eye toward future improvement. It would seem that Denver is now getting a taste of the coaching regime Carolina finally sh*tcanned after 9 seasons.

They play Green Bay this Sunday, a match up that has inexplicably solicited advance trash talking by cheeseheads on the Panthers forum. Uh, there's a reason we had the #1 draft pick this year. Talking trash about beating Carolina is like going home with the fat chick at closing time and bragging about it.

I do love football season.

::laughonfloor::

Heh, good one. 

Yeah, you guys finally had all your top LB's together for the first time in a few years and then Beason goes down.

::facepalm::

But the Vikings play you guys Oct. 30th on your turf and I am sure Halloween will come a day early for someone, and I bet my merry band of faeries will make that fat chick look hot by comparison!

::unknowncomic::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 06:44:17 AM »
I predicted the Viqueens collapse, glad they didn't disappoint...

::)

Now it is on to KC for the battle for the bottom!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »
The Lions, Bills, and Raiders are strong teams this season. Frogs should be falling from the sky any minute now.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »
The Lions, Bills, and Raiders are strong teams this season. Frogs should be falling from the sky any minute now.

::hysterical::

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »
My middle name is Optimism. ::danceban:: Lions and the Bills in the Super Bowl. Colts go 0 and 16, win Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning takes him under his wing. DYNESTY!  ::hat-tip::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »

I was out on Gull lake walleye fishing, and we landed at Ernie's for lunch. Watched the first half of the game, Vikes up 20-0. We discussed the collapses from weeks one and two, and wondered if they had it in them to blow yet another 1st half lead.

WTF is going on with this team? They look like super bowl contenders in the first half. Either the players are giving up in the 2nd half; the coaching staff is making incorrect adjustments to the game plan in the 2nd half; or the opponents are making adjustments to their 2nd half game plan, and the Vikings have no answer to those adjustments.

If I gave a sh*t, it would be infinitely frustrating. But I disavowed myself from real concern with professional sports as a whole back in 1998, when the Vikings went 15-1 and then blew it in the first round of the playoffs. I can't bring myself to care. But it's still a mystery to me, how one franchise can seemingly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory over, and over, and over again, decade in and decade out. I think the Vikings are unique in the NFL for squandering opportunity as a primary attribute of the franchise over the entirety of its history.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »

I was out on Gull lake walleye fishing, and we landed at Ernie's for lunch. Watched the first half of the game, Vikes up 20-0. We discussed the collapses from weeks one and two, and wondered if they had it in them to blow yet another 1st half lead.

WTF is going on with this team? They look like super bowl contenders in the first half. Either the players are giving up in the 2nd half; the coaching staff is making incorrect adjustments to the game plan in the 2nd half; or the opponents are making adjustments to their 2nd half game plan, and the Vikings have no answer to those adjustments.

If I gave a sh*t, it would be infinitely frustrating. But I disavowed myself from real concern with professional sports as a whole back in 1998, when the Vikings went 15-1 and then blew it in the first round of the playoffs. I can't bring myself to care. But it's still a mystery to me, how one franchise can seemingly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory over, and over, and over again, decade in and decade out. I think the Vikings are unique in the NFL for squandering opportunity as a primary attribute of the franchise over the entirety of its history.

Vikings fans and enduring shame...it's a package deal.

Correction on 1998, that was the team of Cunningham, Smith, Carter, Moss & Co.  They beat Arizona in the divisional round and then blew the NFC championship game AT HOME!  Remember the famous Denny Green lets-take-a-knee-at-halftime-even-though-we-have-a-team-that-can-score-at-will moment and Gary Anderson who made ALL his FG's that year blows a 38 yarder and the worn out defense let the Falcons tie it up and then drive down and knock a kick through for the win.  Pretty disgusting.

The fumblepahlooza in New Orleans 2 years ago was just more lore for the sorry purple legend.

And this season is shaping up to rival the Les Steckl era for most pathetic regular season.  I think J-Pat's Colts are going to have to work harder to lose games...MN & KC seem to be winning that race.  Hell, even the rancid T-Jack led Seahags won this week!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 02:48:44 PM »
Yeah, my bad - NFC championship. That's definitely the game I'm referring to though.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson