Author Topic: Kaline, Colavito & Cash: The Boys of October-and Other Baseball Memories  (Read 1440 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
September 26, 2011

by Mark W. Hendrickson

Topic: The DNA of Greatness  
“The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball.”
—Terence Mann (played by James Earl Jones), Field of Dreams

"For over 100 years, baseball has been a cultural reference point for millions of Americans. Just as certain songs are associated with special times in our lives, so many of us remember our past in terms of: “That was the year Player A or Team B did this or that.”

Having grown up three-and-a-half miles north of the Detroit city line, I have been a lifelong Tigers fan. It has been a half-century now since that magical 1961 season when the Tigers, led by the awesome trio of “Kaline, Colavito, and Cash” in the heart of their batting order, made a legitimate bid for the American League pennant for the first time in my living memory.

As October approaches and baseball fans root for the team they want to win the World Series, it is also a time for nostalgic reminiscences. Here are some of my dearest baseball memories:

As a kid, I rooted for National League teams in the World Series to beat whatever team (usually the hated Yankees) had beaten my Tigers in the American League. Thus, I exulted when Lew Burdette won three games to lead the Braves to victory over the Yankees in 1957. The Soviets launched Sputnik during the series.

I thrilled when a now-forgotten pitcher named Larry Sherry led the Dodgers to victory over the White Sox in 1959, pitching in four of the six games, saving two and winning two. (Sherry also batted .500 in one of the great individual series performances of all time.) In the game-six finale, the Dodgers’ Hall-of-Fame manager, Walter Alston, did something that you’ll probably never see again. He handed the ball to Sherry, his closer, in the fourth inning, and watched Sherry blank the ChiSox for the rest of the game.

In 1960, I had the privilege of watching Ted Williams play at Tiger Stadium. The Splendid Splinter is the greatest hitter I ever saw. His presence in the batter’s box was majestic; he was lord of that domain. My other 1960 highlight was Bill Mazeroski’s walk-off homer to complete the David-beats-Goliath upset victory of the Pirates over the Yankees—the most exhilarating moment in World Series history.

In 1961, my beloved Tigers made their move to get into the Fall Classic. Norm Cash led the league, batting .361 with 41 homers. Hall-of-Fame right-fielder Alkaline was third in the league in hitting. Rocky Colavito, who rivaled Kaline for having the best throwing arm of all American League outfielders, batted cleanup and clubbed 45 homers. (Incidentally, Colavito had the most poetically rhythmic name in pro sports: Rocco Domenico Colavito.) The pitching staff was led by Yankee-killer Frank “Taters” Larry (23-9), future Hall of Famer and U.S. Senator Jim Bunning, and the crafty southpaw Don Mossi."

http://www.visionandvalues.org/2011/09/kaline-colavito-cash/

I was very fortunate to have my Grandpa. He was at Yankee Stadium Opening Day. He, along with George M. Cohan, helped sell tickets. He told me of Ty Cobb, and Honus Wagner, and of course the Babe. My Grandfather died in 1980, and was buried close to Babe Ruth's grave. The driver stopped so I could snap a picture. My Grandfather would have been proud.

Well, they tore it down, and with it went Baseball with a little help from Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire. I was at Shea Stadium the day Casey Stengel retired for good. He was sitting right behind me. Nearly fainted. I will sincerely miss Baseball, and I will always remember my Grandpa!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:36:58 PM by jpatrickham »

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Kaline, Colavito & Cash: The Boys of October-and Other Baseball Memories
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:26:52 PM »
In 1960, I had the privilege of watching Ted Williams play at Tiger Stadium. The Splendid Splinter is the greatest hitter I ever saw. His presence in the batter’s box was majestic; he was lord of that domain. My other 1960 highlight was Bill Mazeroski’s walk-off homer to complete the David-beats-Goliath upset victory of the Pirates over the Yankees—the most exhilarating moment in World Series history

That was when baseball was America's sport.
Players played the whole game.
Before the DH and all the situational, statistical crap that goes on now

The 1960 Pirates were my team.

I was in 4th grade (I think) and the school allowed the game to be on,
Every kid was on the edge of their seats.
It was so unlikely that the Pirates could beat the Yankees because the Yanks  3 wins were blow outs.
I think one game was 16-1.

It's been said, sometimes still, that Maz was the best second baseman ever.  But not known for his bat or power.
Roberto Clemente was on that team. If he wasn't a contemporary of Mays, Mantle and Aaron, he would have been recognized even more for his greatness

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:38:30 PM »
Probably one of the greatest Game 7's ever.  A little before my time, though.  I was only two years old so I didn't know about it.

The Yankees won their three games 16-3, 10-0, and 12-0.

The Pirates won their four 6-4, 3-2, 5-2, and 10-9.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1960/YPS_1960.htm
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
Oh, and baseball fans have been saying things like "The game just isn't what it used to be" and "Today's players are soft and pampered compared to the old days" since the 19th century.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:54:54 PM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:49:05 PM »
And have I mentioned that Retrosheet is the greatest f*cking website in the universe?
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
Hey, rickl.
Thanks for turning me on to the link

As far as athletes, I'm sure today's are better.
But the game isn't

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:38:30 AM »
Hey, rickl.
Thanks for turning me on to the link

As far as athletes, I'm sure today's are better.
But the game isn't

I'd go along with that.

And for me the golden years were Oliva, Killebrew & Carew!  (There were others to be sure, but those were the big 3 all kids wanted to see swing the bat!)

My father used to be a stadium vendor to pick up cash after he left the Air Force, still knew a lot of these guys...we used to get Twins tickets at the old Met that were awesome!  Right behind the plate, behind dugouts...going to the game back then, the atmosphere, players were players and not businessmen...it just had that right feel to it all.  Haven't had felt that feel in quite a while...

Ahhh, the good old days...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.