Author Topic: The NFL hair-cape  (Read 3572 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
The NFL hair-cape
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
You know the look I'm talking about. The "hair-cape". NFL players with football helmets, long (dred)locks flowing about their shoulders as if they have a little cape made of hair draped around their necks. Mostly Black thugs, but not entirely. There's that guy from Green Bay, and the Polynesian dude Pauliomoolah or whatever the hell his name is.

If I owned an NFL team, the very first order of business would be to forbid hair protruding more than 1 inch from under the helmet. Period. It is a hazard on the field, and looks ridiculous. Aside from that, apparently it is completely legal to grab a player and pull him down by the hair, according to the video at the link.

The NFL hair-cape has got to be the stupidest, most impractical fad ever in the NFL. It springs from the same "culture" that found Michael Vick running a dog-fighting ring. Perpetually adolescent boys in giant mens bodies who think that a ghetto fashion statement is more important than avoiding being pulled to the ground by the hair to the detriment of your team.

In the interest of full disclosure, this critique is coming from me - a man who wore hair down to my waist until I was 41.

Video: Horse collar flag picked up because player was hair-tackled
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: The NFL hair-cape
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
In the interest of full disclosure, this critique is coming from me - a man who wore hair down to my waist until I was 41.

Yes, the hair cape looks stupid.

So finally a man I can ask about the long hair thing!

So what's with that?   
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »

Yes, the hair cape looks stupid.

So finally a man I can ask about the long hair thing!

So what's with that?   

Girls dug it (at least back when I had a bunch)  :o

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:13:36 PM »
I dug it.  His mother was, like, "I don't get it".

Gunsmith's hair, a beautiful, thick, vari-blonde mane was mid-back length until his very late 30's.  I'd braid'n'band  it for him when he had I-need-nothing-in-my-way work to do.  Eventually, he banded it at his neck every day and it got to be a hassle, so he was impatient to cut it off and did so before it got long enough to be saved for a wig for cancer patients.

I was sorry to see it go, but, you know what?  The nape of his neck is even sexier.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:11:47 PM »
...The nape of his neck is even sexier.

::lalanotlistening::  ::hysterical::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:51 PM »
...The nape of his neck is even sexier.

::lalanotlistening::  ::hysterical::

Well, it is.  It's so ... naked .....   ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:50:39 AM »
Damn.

My whole mental image of Gunsmith as a tough rustic badass dude is shot to hell in an instant!

::falldownshocked::

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:08 AM »
Damn.

My whole mental image of Gunsmith as a tough rustic badass dude is shot to hell in an instant!

::falldownshocked::

::hysterical::

I agree. ::hysterical::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »
Okay.  Think what ya want, but the man can climb a steel column using just his hands and feet.  Former ironworker.

And, thppptbbbt!  See if I tell you guys anything anymore .......

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »
okay

I figured that was the reason but no woman I ever asked over the years ever thought it was sexy...

maybe they just didn't see anyone who looked good  ::whatgives::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »
In my case, long hair was part of the "uniform" for rock musicians back in the day when I used to conform to such things. That's how it came to be. But as far as why I kept it for so long, I guess it was inertia, the approval of my wife, and the interesting dynamic it presented in interpersonal communications. People were always underestimating me because of it, and I took shattering first impressions as a challenge.

That last bit became unimportant to me when I became a Christian. Pride.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »
In my case, long hair was part of the "uniform" for rock musicians back in the day when I used to conform to such things. That's how it came to be. But as far as why I kept it for so long, I guess it was inertia, the approval of my wife, and the interesting dynamic it presented in interpersonal communications. People were always underestimating me because of it, and I took shattering first impressions as a challenge.

Well, IDP, you get a pass on it because it is the standard for the musician but some dudes I see walking around would do well to drop by a Great Clips...

I'm not opposed to it, I just haven't seen anyone yet who could pull it off

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »
I still sport a high & tight...just because I know with my size and block-shaped head it scares the scat out of liberals prey!

::whoohoo::

::asskicking::

;D

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 10:32:47 AM »
I still sport a high & tight...just because I know with my size and block-shaped head it scares the scat out of liberals prey!

::whoohoo::

::asskicking::

;D

::laughonfloor::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »
Lady V, ever seen Lord of the Rings? I haven't met a female yet who didn't think Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas, Faramir, or Eomer didn't rock the long locks of love.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 12:18:51 PM »
The Fabio-effect...never had it, don't plan on getting it...

Damn longhairs!

;D

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »
Lady V, ever seen Lord of the Rings? I haven't met a female yet who didn't think Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas, Faramir, or Eomer didn't rock the long locks of love.

Sure.  But movie magic (or the cover of some romance novel) is so unsatisfying

...haven't seen anyone who rocked it in real life...

<sigh>

not that it doesn't/didn't exist....no doubt you had your moments! ;D

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »

::thumbsup::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Update: The NFL hair-cape (video)
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 07:07:46 PM »
It looks like a breakaway reception headed for a TD - until the douchebag gets dragged down by the hair-cape.

As I stated upthread: If I owned an NFL team, the very first order of business would be to forbid hair protruding more than 1 inch from under the helmet. Period. It is a hazard on the field, and looks ridiculous. Aside from that, apparently it is completely legal to grab a player and pull him down by the hair, according to the video at the link.

Torrey Smith gets tackled by the dreadlocks (Video)

- Thomas Jefferson