Author Topic: Karl Rove's revvin' on up  (Read 2103 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Karl Rove's revvin' on up
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »
With a new master plan for the GOP, Karl Rove is revving up for a comeback.

... Rove shocked everyone last year by putting together a political-action committee, American Crossroads, that, along with its sister organization, Crossroads GPS, raised $71 million to support Republicans during the midterm elections. The two groups spent nearly $25 million on 30,000 TV ads to attack Democrats and support Republicans, helping Rove’s party take sixteen of the 30 House and Senate seats in races where American Crossroads invested.

It was high-fives all around for Rove’s old crew. Without him, “we never, ever, ever would have been able to make the gains we made, which were historic,” says Mary Matalin, the onetime aide to former vice-­president Dick Cheney.

“I concentrated some people’s attention,” Rove offers.

He’s just getting started. As he positions himself as Republican kingmaker in 2012, Rove is trying to make sense of a post-Bush party, one riven by ideological schisms and splintered into a dozen or more potential Republican nominees. To take back power and reestablish his dream of a permanent Republican majority ­(“Durable,” he now corrects. “I never said permanent”), Rove must carefully negotiate a new media world revolutionized by Sarah Palin and bring order to a restive party upended and realigned by tea-­party populists, who view Rove as the elitist Machiavellian who once played them like a Stradivarius for George W. Bush. But with W. down on his ranch in Texas, the Brain needs a new body to inhabit. And that body, he’s decided, is the Republican Party itself.

Not fond of Sarah Palin, either.  Long article.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Karl Rove's revvin' on up
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
With a new master plan for the GOP, Karl Rove is revving up for a comeback.

... Rove shocked everyone last year by putting together a political-action committee, American Crossroads, that, along with its sister organization, Crossroads GPS, raised $71 million to support Republicans during the midterm elections. The two groups spent nearly $25 million on 30,000 TV ads to attack Democrats and support Republicans, helping Rove’s party take sixteen of the 30 House and Senate seats in races where American Crossroads invested.

It was high-fives all around for Rove’s old crew. Without him, “we never, ever, ever would have been able to make the gains we made, which were historic,” says Mary Matalin, the onetime aide to former vice-­president Dick Cheney.

“I concentrated some people’s attention,” Rove offers.

He’s just getting started. As he positions himself as Republican kingmaker in 2012, Rove is trying to make sense of a post-Bush party, one riven by ideological schisms and splintered into a dozen or more potential Republican nominees. To take back power and reestablish his dream of a permanent Republican majority ­(“Durable,” he now corrects. “I never said permanent”), Rove must carefully negotiate a new media world revolutionized by Sarah Palin and bring order to a restive party upended and realigned by tea-­party populists, who view Rove as the elitist Machiavellian who once played them like a Stradivarius for George W. Bush. But with W. down on his ranch in Texas, the Brain needs a new body to inhabit. And that body, he’s decided, is the Republican Party itself.

Not fond of Sarah Palin, either.  Long article.

Rove could do so much good if he didn't turn into a republican elitist.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:40:33 PM »

Karl Rove = POS

Which sixteen did he help win? POS I'd like to see that list. POS
I know some he helped lose. POS

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 07:24:44 AM »
He's about the Party. People like him, it's party first, country second. Such people are not wed to any philosophy beyond sweeping generalities, and even those are subject to revision if it is deemed to help the party. I was never exactly a fan of his, but any ambivalence I had was brushed aside in his now-infamous comments on Hannity's show following O'Donnell's win over the Uber-RINO Mike Castle. He chose to poison the well and salt the fields rather than get behind the winning candidate. The whole primary season was one big, long temper tantrum by the party establishment, and he was their poster boy.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:35:02 AM »
He's about the Party. People like him, it's party first, country second. Such people are not wed to any philosophy beyond sweeping generalities, and even those are subject to revision if it is deemed to help the party. I was never exactly a fan of his, but any ambivalence I had was brushed aside in his now-infamous comments on Hannity's show following O'Donnell's win over the Uber-RINO Mike Castle. He chose to poison the well and salt the fields rather than get behind the winning candidate. The whole primary season was one big, long temper tantrum by the party establishment, and he was their poster boy.

Amen!
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »
he won barely 50% in a time when Republicans won 60%.

Color me less than impressed.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »
He had a big hand in the "Hispandering" advocacy of some Republicans during the W era. Look for more of the same. The establishment appears to be working to head the Tea Party off at the pass by getting a template established early, a template that the eventual nominee will "need" to fit into.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:58:18 AM »

Down in Texas the governor, Perry, does his Hispandering with 5 state trooper patrol helicopters patrolling the border in conjunction with the Texas Rangers.

Oh yeah, he received a larger Latino vote than Bush.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »

Down in Texas the governor, Perry, does his Hispandering with 5 state trooper patrol helicopters patrolling the border in conjunction with the Texas Rangers.

Oh yeah, he received a larger Latino vote than Bush.

Exactly. It is just a lie that Hispanic Americans living here legally are in lockstep with those who advocate for illegal immigrants. If Rove intends for the nominee to advocate amnesty for illegals, that will be challenged from outside the establishment just like any other unsatisfactory position.

Rove was successful in undermining O'Donnell, and somewhat successful in undermining Palin (although I've yet to be convinced that her political future is mortally wounded). But in the case of O'Donnell, Delaware is not an accurate representation of the US electorate, nor is every potential non-establishment GOP candidate going to be as weak as O'Donnell. Undermining her was easy. Rove will not have that kind of success with the electorate in general. The blowback for any attempt will be immense.

I think if he GOP wants to guarantee a third party run that has the potential to relegate the GOP to third party status going forward, then the Rovians should attempt to assassinate the character or credibility of whomever emerges as the Tea party favorite in the primaries.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:43:38 AM »
What an arrogant piece of trash!  I don't call him The Butthead without cause!

This prick stabbed conservatives in the back time and again...and some in the GOP still think he's worth a damn?

His record of success cannot match the heft Palin had in 2010, this megalomaniac little usurper thinks he can swoop in and don his self anointed crown as party savior and continue to sabotage the conservative cause?!

Fvck him and the useless idiots riding with him!

Castle, a centrist?  Yeah, and I'm then Jolly Green freaking Giant!  Throw O'Donnell under the bus to support that crap that got trounced in the primary?  Unforgivable!

Look what happened when Palin & Perry teamed up, The Butthead's darling Hutchinson got her ass handed to her!

I hope they team up some more, and the Tea Party, and kick this despicable trash to the curb!

Two quotes that ought to tell you all you need to know about The Butthead if your a conservative and support the Tea Party agenda -

1)  As a former White House official who worked closely with Rove says, “Karl Rove is not a conservative. Karl Rove is a man who wins elections.”

2)  “That’s the part that Karl doesn’t like,” says Tom Pauken, a conservative Republican in Texas who has been a longtime Bush antagonist and specifically a critic of Rove. “This whole tea-party thing, he can’t control.”

And now that I see The Butthead calls Mitch Daniels his "close friend " is enough for me to scratch Daniels off any list permanently!

And Jeb Bush?   ::gaah::  You've got to be freaking kidding me!   ::mooning::

The Butthead represents the worst of the old guard Ruling Class country-clubber GOP hacks...I don't need his Machiavellian unprincipled fingers touching anymore candidates...anything he touches will always be tainted and will always disappoint...to hell with all that!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 12:17:02 PM »

.anything he touches will always be tainted and will always disappoint..

Hey, Karl Rove! ::mooning::