Author Topic: Computer help, plz?  (Read 3864 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Computer help, plz?
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »
*Something* appears to be glitchy on my laptop with Firefox, causing some sites to take forever to load.  I'm using Windows on the desktop and am having no problems with those sites there.

Halp!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: Computer help, plz?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:57:11 PM »

Knowing nothing I:
                                dump history
                                run C Cleaner  reboot
                                right click AVG > open AVG interface  > scan computer
                                go to FF help, if you can reduce the problem to 3 or less words
                                defrag

and an off topic comment: I prefer xp to 7

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »
Did you get it ironed out Pan? Not sure what to suggest. Sometimes a slowdown is not in your computer, but happening at your ISP.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »
Nope, didn't get it fixed yet.  Does the ISP have anything to do with being able to easily one site and not another?  I don't know.

I fired up the Internet Explorer browser and the same thing is happening with the same pages, so, I don't 'bout this either.

Tomorrow when Gunsmith has some more time, he'll troubleshoot.  In the meantime,  ::outrage::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »
Looking for some consistency here.

Site A takes 12 seconds to completely load.

Site B takes 28 seconds to completely load.

Both sites have about the same amount of graphics and you've been to both sites many times before.

Is this similar to what your problem is?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »
Looking for some consistency here.

Site A takes 12 seconds to completely load.

Site B takes 28 seconds to completely load.

No, a bit longer.  The local forum, and it's new; just started yesterday.  Gateway Pundit takes minutes.

Both sites have about the same amount of graphics and you've been to both sites many times before.

Is this similar to what your problem is?

No.  The forum has almost none, Gateway many.

As I said, new as of yesterday.  IAL and Grouchy's load in a blink, Gateway always took a LITTLE bit long longer; local forum was in between.

Something's going on with the damn laptop.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.  I hatez this sh*t.

Oh, and thanks for asking, Soup.  I'd hoped you would.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
And does the local forum continue to respond in a similar timeframe to resolve after a fresh reboot? Or is it faster?

I do most of my stuff on a laptop but I also have a desktop at home. It's the one I use on the weekends. Lately it has started weirding out of the IAL site. every other site will load OK but I get a "Connection timed out" error on IAL until I reboot. Then it's fine again for a day or two.

Do all the pages on the local forum load at about the same rate? You said that this was Firefox.....do you have any Extensions installed? Did you recently get an upgraded version? Have you recently installed any other applications or had any significant events occur (power outages, etc)?

What version of Firefox are you running?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:36 PM »
And does the local forum continue to respond in a similar timeframe to resolve after a fresh reboot?

Yes.

Or is it faster?

No.

I do most of my stuff on a laptop but I also have a desktop at home. It's the one I use on the weekends. Lately it has started weirding out of the IAL site. every other site will load OK but I get a "Connection timed out" error on IAL until I reboot. Then it's fine again for a day or two.

Do all the pages on the local forum load at about the same rate?[/quote]

Yes

You said that this was Firefox.....do you have any Extensions installed?

Don't know; I don't even know where to look for that info.

Did you recently get an upgraded version?

No.

Have you recently installed any other applications or had any significant events occur (power outages, etc)?

No and no.  Have protection in case of the latter anyway.

What version of Firefox are you running?

Don't know the number; I allowed the update today just to see if that was the trouble, so it's the newest.

I knew you were going to ask a bazillion questions; I just am unsure of the answers.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:14:50 PM »

Top left is File - Edit- History - Bk marks - Tools - Help

Left click help, the last one on the bottom is "About" click it and it will tell you the FF version.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 11:21:05 PM »
OK, as for extensions if you don't know you likely don't have any installed. Unlike MS's Internet Explorer, Firefox offers all these add-on extensions for all sorts of purposes - I have one that allows me to selectively block cookies, one to download videos from u-toob, and a text formatting toolbar (for HTML).

You don't have so we can dismiss that as a possibility.

If you click on "Help" and then "About" it will tell you what version you are running.  

The fact that you can connect to the site (even if it is slow to completely load) is a good sign (as opposed to not finding the site at all). The slow load implies a problem with formatting or content with the site. Interestingly, I went to the Chatham site and the sidebar graphics that they had been displaying are gone. If you are still getting slow load times then that would suggest behind~the~scenes formatting or coding as the culprit. If that is the case there isn't much that you can do - it's (mostly) all their fault.

did you dump your local cache? I've seen instances where a badly coded page (that had gotten cached) continued to plague response times for all subsequent pages until I barfed it all out.

Are the load times similar between Firefox and IE?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »
OK, as for extensions if you don't know you likely don't have any installed. Unlike MS's Internet Explorer, Firefox offers all these add-on extensions for all sorts of purposes - I have one that allows me to selectively block cookies, one to download videos from u-toob, and a text formatting toolbar (for HTML).

You don't have so we can dismiss that as a possibility.

If you click on "Help" and then "About" it will tell you what version you are running.

Thanks.  6.0.2  

The fact that you can connect to the site (even if it is slow to completely load) is a good sign (as opposed to not finding the site at all). The slow load implies a problem with formatting or content with the site. Interestingly, I went to the Chatham site and the sidebar graphics that they had been displaying are gone. If you are still getting slow load times then that would suggest behind~the~scenes formatting or coding as the culprit. If that is the case there isn't much that you can do - it's (mostly) all their fault.

did you dump your local cache? I've seen instances where a badly coded page (that had gotten cached) continued to plague response times for all subsequent pages until I barfed it all out.

I dumped the history and re-bookmarked the page.

Are the load times similar between Firefox and IE?

Yes, on the laptop.

Gateway, on the other hand, runs a banner on the top stating FireFox has "prevented this page from automatically reloading".  Click allow?  It comes back up and up and up.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »
Look at the graphic on this page: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Options%20window%20-%20Advanced%20panel#General_tab

Under the Accessibility portion the last entry is: Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page. By default this should be unchecked. Is it?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 11:47:02 PM »
Oh, and you'll get to that page in Firefox be clicking; Firefox/Tools > Options > Advanced > General : Accessibility

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:50:48 PM »
Look at the graphic on this page: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Options%20window%20-%20Advanced%20panel#General_tab

Under the Accessibility portion the last entry is: Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page. By default this should be unchecked. Is it?

Whew!  Thanks for the map!

No, it's checked.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 11:51:32 PM »
How does your laptop connect to the Internet, compared with your desktop? i.e. is the laptop wireless and the desktop wired? I would try rebooting the router.

I also like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a general purpose scanning and cleaning tool. It's free and the scanning database is updated several times daily. I recommend running it on the laptop and see if it turns up anything.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 06:55:08 AM »
At home I'll have Norton AV, SpyBot Search & Destroy and SpyWareBlaster running and sweep regularly with CCleaner (Piriform) and I am running an older Dell desktop with increased RAM and the latest version of FF and have had no problems.  I get Norton free via cable company and the other programs listed are all available free on the web.

Does the laptop have enough RAM?

'Puter issues bite, hope you get it figured out!  Get tech support (Gunsmith) on that right away!

;D

OK, back to my desk...

::rolllaughing::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 09:58:41 PM »
Got your 'puter up and runnin' again?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 10:21:40 PM »
It's been up and running, just some sites load really sloooooowly.  It's got something to do with the google ads scripts.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 10:29:01 PM »
Damn Google!

I try to scrub off all toolbars and other crap from my browser...hate that stuff...if I need something I'll search for it myself, I don't need their demonic algorithms always humming in the background!

::outrage::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
Damn Google!

I try to scrub off all toolbars and other crap from my browser...hate that stuff...if I need something I'll search for it myself, I don't need their demonic algorithms always humming in the background!

::outrage::

If I can't scrub it I search for that particular toolbar file and rename it.  I make it simple, if the file folder is "Googletoolbar" I rename it
"No_Googletoolbar". That way if I make it worse I can go back and fix it.

I like the "Add-ons". I use "Add blocker" and "Adblock plus".  
I went to >Help >FF Help and typed in "using Add-ons".
I now use the FF bookmarks tool bar.  Why did I wait so long?  ::hammer::

ETA: I haven't had a kickback from renaming any of those stinky files.