Author Topic: Computer help, plz?  (Read 3806 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Computer help, plz?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »
That'd probably be good advice, CO, if I had even a slight inkling of whathehell you're talking about. 
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 12:17:55 AM »
Open your FF browser, click Help, click FF Help.  

ETA - or: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/home?as=u

A new page will come up,"Need Help With Firefox?"  below that will be a box for you to type in "keyword or words",  something such as "using add-ons" .  You're page will be directed to information about using add-ons.  It's pretty much like going to CNET and downloading an application.

You may also choose to type in Ad blocker or Adblock plus or you may type in, well just go there, it becomes obvious pretty quickly.  It's all set up by FF and FF users so you are in friendly company.

Just for the hoot you may want to click tools, then add-ons and it will bring up any that you have, you may be surprised. Then you can back out and start your help search.  FF has a lot of neat things (add-ons).

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:31:50 AM by Charles Oakwood »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 10:01:15 AM »
Okay, then.  Thank you.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »
Adblock is definitely a good plug-in. It will strip away most ads, you'll never see them or even see where they were meant to be. You can setup exceptions for particular sites if need be.

I would also recommend giving the Opera browser a try. I find it snappier and more responsive than Firefox, to the point that it has become my everyday browser. There are similar plug-ins available for it too.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 06:30:55 AM »
Opera is nice, especially for forums, seems like it is a lot easier to read!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 09:11:29 AM »
Unfortunately, no suggestions worked.  (I didn't switch to Opera).

I narrowed the problem down to "pagead2.gogglesyndication.com" trying to load was what was hanging the pages.  One site suggest loading a FireFox plugin, "NoScript", so I did that and that's what worked.  Mostly.  I'm having other slight issues with stuff appearing that hasn't before, on this site as well, but with this I can deal.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »
What kind of things are appearing that haven't before?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
At the bottom of the reply box, before "post", this:

+ Additional Options...

Notify me of replies.    Lock this topic.
Return to this topic.    Sticky this topic.
Don't use smileys.    Move this topic.
Attach:    (more attachments)
Maximum attachment size allowed: 50000 KB, per post: 4

And "Attach:", with two spaces, each with a "Browse" function.

I can't seem to make it all go away.

Some days, I feel like "the government"; for every problem I "solve", I create two others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
So when you click on the + it won't do anything? Sounds like a Javascript issue. My guess is that "NoScript" plugin has disabled Javascript, so that control is rendering its default state (i.e., pre-expanded).

Does the NoScript plugin have its own configuration options? Maybe you could define an exception for itsaboutliberty.com.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 11:21:37 AM »
So when you click on the + it won't do anything? Sounds like a Javascript issue. My guess is that "NoScript" plugin has disabled Javascript, so that control is rendering its default state (i.e., pre-expanded).

Does the NoScript plugin have its own configuration options? Maybe you could define an exception for itsaboutliberty.com.

That's exactly what I did.  There's a "NoScript" (S) symbol at the extreme bottom right of the ... rats! I don't know what it's called -- when the page finishes loading, a "Done" appears at the way at the left in the same bar.  Clicked on, it's got a long list of options, which I now have to get acquainted with, but clicking on one of them did the trick.

Sheesh.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »

...Clicked on, it's got a long list of options, which I now have to get acquainted with, but clicking on one of them did the trick.

So the page is rendering properly now?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »

...Clicked on, it's got a long list of options, which I now have to get acquainted with, but clicking on one of them did the trick.

So the page is rendering properly now?

Yes, it is.

The other sites with which I was having such difficulty, such as Gateway Pundit, are loading quickly now too.  Finally.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 12:39:26 PM »

I've tried no script and junked it.  It reads OK but java is necessary.

When you become accustomed to "adblock plus" you will see that you may select things such as "pagead2.gogglesyndication.com" and block it.  I also recommend fanboy's subscription list it's set up
for the US and it's extensive.