Author Topic: Perry's new problem  (Read 1551 times)

charlesoakwood

Perry's new problem
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:04:48 PM »

Candidate Perry calling Social Security a Ponzi scheme was bad.  Then in the second debate he was thoroughly thrashed for his Gardisil error.  That's two strikes.

But those are superficial problems compared to these associations the  WaPo has found.

...one of the big questions about him has been whether he would seek the presidency more as an evangelist or as a job-creator.

Instead, the evangelical Christian governor spoke the language of the movement with ease. He talked about the many nights...

“It’s like he had somebody like Rick Warren helping him write,” *Cromartie added. “‘The Purpose Driven Life’ is about how there’s a plan for everybody. That’s what Perry’s trying to say, that God has a plan for him, and it’s a really big one — to be the next president of the United States.”

Revealing Perry's devotion as sincere, then as theologian *Cromartie exposes his shallow duplicity is a the perfect one two punch. It's strike three in Perry's campaign.  He will be howled off the stage.

*Link
"He is an advisory editor at Christianity Today and an adjunct professor at Reformed Theological Seminary, and was an advisor to the PBS documentary series “With God on Our Side: The Rise of the Christian Right in America.”

"Frequently asked to explicate the dynamics between religious faith and political convictions, Cromartie has been interviewed on numerous radio and television programs, including National Public Radio, CNN, ABC News, The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, MSNBC, and PBS. He has been quoted frequently in the Washington Post, New York Times, The New Republic, Christianity Today, Time, the National Catholic Reporter and U.S. News and World Report. He holds an M.A. in Justice from The American University and a B.A. from Covenant College in Georgia." [1]

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Perry's new problem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
I don't think calling Social Security the Ponzi scheme that it is was a bad thing at all. It's about time people get a dose of reality. I also think the mood of the country is right for these unpleasant truths, and the "conventional wisdom" echoed from all of punditry about it being a huge faux pas is the actual faux pas.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:35:50 PM »
I'm not sure I see the same problem that you do Charles... Or are you being sarcastic?
Perry was speaking at Liberty University - no secret friend to the socially conservative wing of the GOP. Speaking of his faith seems like a natural occurrence to that audience.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:39:35 PM »
I don't think calling Social Security the Ponzi scheme that it is was a bad thing at all. It's about time people get a dose of reality. I also think the mood of the country is right for these unpleasant truths, and the "conventional wisdom" echoed from all of punditry about it being a huge faux pas is the actual faux pas.

I agree. Having the guts to call Social Security out for what it is was a plus in my book.  Of course everything else is a negative.
No one will  "reform"  SS. No one will "reform" Medicare/Medicaid  which needs it even more. Because "reform" is just another word for default.
So GOP or Dem they will extend and pretend until the dollar is no longer the reserve, and we are a third world nation because of our lousy currency.. and that assumes a "soft landing" and no sudden panic.

We are doomed.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »

I'm not sure I see the same problem that you do Charles... Or are you being sarcastic?
Perry was speaking at Liberty University - no secret friend to the socially conservative wing of the GOP. Speaking of his faith seems like a natural occurrence to that audience.

Oh for sure.  The WaPo doing a hit piece on him after the MSM has spent two weeks and every debater on the stage except gNewt and Cain not only thrashed him but trashed the truth while doing so.  Now this.
He'll be the better man for it.

Personally, right now, he and Cane an, oh save me, even gNewt are the only persons on the stage with integrity.

...and Weisshaupt, we're not doomed, we're just in a bit of a sticky wicket right now.  All we need to do is work harder, pray more, live what we say, and beat the crap out of them.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:21:04 PM »
...Personally, right now, he and Cane an, oh save me, even gNewt are the only persons on the stage with integrity...

I have to admit, frikkin Gingrich has somehow managed to grab my ear. But dammit...

Newt Gingrich and Nancy Pelosi - We Can Solve It

Sorry: Gingrich Apologizes to Rep. Paul Ryan
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »

No, I'm not falling for him.  He who on a good day still has the same bright idea in the evening
he had that morning, not to worry, he belongs in an office at the end of the hall with two dedicated
interns.  He should be permitted a short audience once a week or so with the president.

Even with that he would not discipline himself to distill his presentation but simply come in with
the thought of the moment.  When one is as smart as he is whatever thought he is having is
superior to any other.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »
Candidate Perry calling Social Security a Ponzi scheme was bad.
Actually, that's the best thing I've heard from him.  He's dead accurate about that.  I've been saying it for at least a decade.

It's worse than a Ponzi scheme, because the operator of a Ponzi scheme has no power to force anyone to participate.

Then in the second debate he was thoroughly thrashed for his Gardisil error.
And rightfully so.

...one of the big questions about him has been whether he would seek the presidency more as an evangelist or as a job-creator.
The President of the United States is neither an evangelist nor a job creator!   ::bashing::

“It’s like he had somebody like Rick Warren helping him write,” *Cromartie added. “‘The Purpose Driven Life’ is about how there’s a plan for everybody. That’s what Perry’s trying to say, that God has a plan for him, and it’s a really big one — to be the next president of the United States.”
I don't know whether Perry actually believes that or not, but Cromartie is not doing him any favors by saying it in public.

Perry’s advisers say he neither wears his faith on his sleeve nor covers it up. He usually prays before meals and, as governor, has spoken at prayer services and has issued executive orders to pray for rain.
Oh, great.   ::facepalm::

---

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Romney is almost looking good compared to that doofus.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:24:35 PM »

I don't know whether Perry actually believes that or not, but Cromartie is not doing him any favors by saying it in public.

Look at Cromartie's CV, he is an obvious apostate.

---

A request is not an executive order.  They fully intend to use his religiosity against him to the fullest measure possible.  

That's the point of the sarcasm, they throwing everything but the kitchen sink at him to the point our own people are willing to join the lie in order to increase their on winning probability.  

Would the WaPo actually print an accurate article with true factual references about a conservative?

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 11:00:50 PM »
"Oh have you heard? Perry is R-E-L-I-G-I-O-U-S"   ::puke::  He (gasp) prayed for (gulp) R-A-I-N-.....For some reason, I just do not see republicans or conservatives having much of an issue with it.

Personally, i'm tired of anything religious becoming a strike against you. It is media driven hatred, for the most part. Flyover country has little to no issue if he professes faith and belief. I consider it a huge plus and have a much easier time forgiving him for any mistake he made as governor, understanding he stands for something.

I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 11:22:19 PM »
Flyover country has little to no issue if he professes faith and belief.

Right, but there are vast numbers of voters who would crawl across broken glass to vote against someone like that.  We need to keep that in mind, and stay on message, which is limited Constitutional government, individual liberty, private property rights, and free market capitalism.  Period.  Anything else is a distraction, is divisive, and will cost us votes.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »
Flyover country has little to no issue if he professes faith and belief.

Right, but there are vast numbers of voters who would crawl across broken glass to vote against someone like that.  We need to keep that in mind, and stay on message, which is limited Constitutional government, individual liberty, private property rights, and free market capitalism.  Period.  Anything else is a distraction, is divisive, and will cost us votes.

I'd contend the broken glass crawlers wouldn't vote for someone like that anyway. It's not getting off message because its not THE message....unless you happen to report and are athiest, agnostic or an obama ass kisser....then it becomes THE message, whether you want it to or not.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »
It's the same old razor's edge the GOP has been balancing on for years Rick. There are also vast swaths of reliable Republican voters who seek a candidate of faith and moral conviction, without whom a GOP candidate cannot hope to succeed unless they wish to appeal to another - less conservative - demographic. The GOP needs someone who represents and respects both wings, without alienating either.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 12:23:25 AM »
Please, not Rick Warren

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 07:41:42 AM »
Please, not Rick Warren

Same guy who played nice with Beelzebub, er Obama, right?

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 12:35:35 PM »
Invited the devil into his church.....That's what he did....He can take his book and stick it where the sun don't shine. Purposefully. Driven.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 12:52:13 PM »
Invited the devil into his church.....That's what he did....He can take his book and stick it where the sun don't shine. Purposefully. Driven.

::rolllaughing::

Agreed!

You dance with the  ::evil::  you can't complain latter why bad stuff happens!   ::mooning::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Southpaw

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
"Oh have you heard? Perry is R-E-L-I-G-I-O-U-S"   ::puke::  He (gasp) prayed for (gulp) R-A-I-N-.....For some reason, I just do not see republicans or conservatives having much of an issue with it.

(((Personally, i'm tired of anything religious becoming a strike against you. It is media driven hatred, for the most part.)))

Flyover country has little to no issue if he professes faith and belief. I consider it a huge plus and have a much easier time forgiving him for any mistake he made as governor, understanding he stands for something.

Me too!  And the more people criticize Perry, the more determined I am to vote for him in the primary.

Is there a candidate who doesn't have a few "warts"?  At least in the minds of those who don't like him/her.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »
Republicans muster up a big explosion of “men” to Ponzi-scheme rhetoric

9/16/2011 9:25:00 AM  Ed Morrissey

"With Republican candidates ginning up outrage over Rick Perry’s remarks on Social Security, one might think that some internal polling shows primary voters will punish Perry for his rhetoric calling the system a “Ponzi scheme.” Gallup
More..."

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/09/16/republicans-muster-up-a-big-explosion-of-meh-to-ponzi-scheme-rhetoric/

Be careful what you wish for! The more conversation about whether SS is a Ponzi Scheme, the more the Public understands. Now, Perry needs to explain what he will do about it!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:16:10 PM by jpatrickham »