Author Topic: Presidential Election Watch 2012: The Democrat Edition  (Read 90857 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Presidential Election Watch 2012: The Democrat Edition
« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »

Things aren't what they used to be.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #241 on: August 19, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »

::hysterical::   ::rolllaughing::   ::laughonfloor::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
Just read that article Trap and see that you posted it, yup, rats bailing the sinking ship, SS Obongo is taking on lots of water.

To the bottom of the sea with thee!

Seven thousand comments and still going strong. The leftists are coming unglued over this. Drudge still has it up as his headline and will probably keep it up into the afternoon atracting even more of the unhinged. You can't buy this entertainment at any price.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »
LINK

President Barack Obama’s campaign team, celebrated four years ago for its exceptional cohesion and eyes-on-the-prize strategic focus, has been shadowed this time by a succession of political disagreements and personal rivalries that haunted the effort at the outset.

Second-guessing about personnel, strategy and tactics has been a dominant theme of the reelection effort, according to numerous current and former Obama advisers who were interviewed for “Obama’s Last Stand,” an e-book out Monday published in a collaboration between POLITICO and Random House.

The discord, these sources said, has on occasion flowed from Obama himself, who at repeated turns has made vocal his dissatisfaction with decisions made by his campaign team, with its messaging, with Vice President Joe Biden and with what Obama feared was clumsy coordination between his West Wing and reelection headquarters in Chicago.

The effort in Chicago, meanwhile, has been bedeviled by some of the drama Obama so deftly dodged in 2008 — including, at a critical point earlier this year, a spat that left senior operatives David Axelrod and Stephanie Cutter barely on speaking terms — and growing doubts about the effectiveness of Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

The e-book, produced as part of a two-month reporting project that included interviews with two dozen current and former members of Obama’s team, illuminates how the mood and character of the 2012 reelection effort is flowing from the top — with Obama’s own personality and values shaping his campaign just as powerfully as he did four years ago.

If, at this point, the "doubts" about mutant poodle woman are merely growing then the situation is far, far worse than this e-book could possible describe. BTW, I wouldn't give the POLITICO a dime. It's an e-book...anything even vaguely worth reading or knowing will be all over the internet in a news cycle or two.

Many of Obama’s advisers have quietly begun questioning whether they should have picked Wasserman Schultz, an outspoken Florida congresswoman, as his DNC chairwoman. She has clashed with Chicago over her choice of staff and air-time on national TV shows — and they think she comes across as too partisan over the airwaves.

Congenital political tone deafness...otherwise known as an echo chamber...and its consequences. Their bench sucks. Without the press to cover for them and prop them up it would be embarrassingly obvious to even the most uninterested of the public.

Obama really doesn’t like, admire or even grudgingly respect Romney. It’s a level of contempt, say aides, he doesn’t even feel for the conservative, combative House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, the Hill Republican he disliked the most. “There was a baseline of respect for John McCain. The president always thought he was an honorable man and a war hero,” a longtime Obama adviser said. “That doesn’t hold true for Romney. He was no goddamned war hero.”

Time and again Obama has told the people around him that Romney stood for “nothing.” The word he would use to describe Romney was “weak,” too weak to stand up to his own moneymen, too weak to defend his own moderate record as the man who signed into law the first health insurance mandate as Massachusetts governor in 2006, too weak to admit Obama had done a single thing right as president.

The two things Obama fears most about a Romney victory: A 7-to-2 conservative Supreme Court within a few years. And the equally unbearable possibility, in his mind, that Romney will get to take a victory lap on an economic rebound Obama sees as just around the corner. “I’m not going to let him win … so that he can take credit when the economy turns around,” Obama said, according to an aide.

Failure to respect your enemy is a huge mistake. I don't like or admire O'Bongo one bit but I certainly respect the power that he wields as the president. Romney and his staff do, too, and have formulated a strategy to deal with it. O'Bongo is flailing because of his irrational hatred for Romney and it shows. Everyone sees it. It isn't presidential. It's juvenile in the extreme.

But he's right that we can't wait to pack the court. I would nominate Mark Levin in a heartbeat for the Supreme Court. That would shake things up.

But no, the economy isn't going to turn around for years thanks to O'Bongo's meddling with the free market. That it is going to turn around the day after Romney is sworn in is pure fantasy and massive ego on O'Bongo's part.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:32:02 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #244 on: August 20, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »
Beck is all over the Ferguson article this morning. The mockery was cruel and excessive. I loved it!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #245 on: August 20, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »
Everything about O'Bongo just begs for mockery. He's an infant in so many ways.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #246 on: August 20, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. –Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC); Roman Statesman Maybe

Its it bad that I just don't care if things are absolutely true anymore? The left doesn't care and will ignore it even if it was. It seems that spouting our own outright propaganda is the only way to turn these middle road "can't pay attention"  morons to our side.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:46:47 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #247 on: August 20, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »
This is mildly surprising. It's a poll of 600+ registered voters...not likely voters...in Illinois. My experience with interpreting polls (purely amateur to be sure) is that a poll of registered voters will usually favor Democrats. There is no information on how the poll was weighted (and I wouldn't know how to deconstruct it if it did). Read on:

A poll conducted by Illinois-based pollster and political strategist Michael McKeon found Obama leading Republican Mitt Romney by 49 percent to 37 percent in Cook County, the home of Chicago. That puts him ahead by a far thinner margin than expected in a county he should be winning handsomely.

Cook is the most Democratic leaning county in the state. It is also the most populous.

Those numbers do not bode well for the president.

“He has to come out of Cook County with a big lead or he’s gonna have problems downstate,” explained McKeon, who said that based on the numbers he had seen, Obama polled only in the forties in downstate Illinois.

“It’s not like his policies are very popular downstate,” McKeon said. “He’s viewed as more part of Chicago than he is part of Illinois.”

According to the poll, which surveyed 629 registered voters last week, Obama’s problems are not in Chicago proper, but in suburban Cook County.

This poll is a thermometer stuck in the ass of the O'Bongo campaign and the reading is not good. Look, O'Bongo is going to almost certainly win Illinois and I have zero illusions about it. BUT...this is not a good sign for the overall health of the re-election effort. This poll shows weakness. It is not a picture of strength or confidence or anything that is of comfort to the Democrats.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #248 on: August 20, 2012, 10:33:47 AM »
Just a general notation and thought on the overall campaign at this point:

You will notice that the Democrats are pretty much completely on defense.

This is happening for two reasons.

First and most obvious is that they have been in charge and they are therefore responsible for the state of the union. The House is dominated by Republicans but this is pretty much irrelevant in the way that the country is being governed. The president has been using any means necessary (legal and otherwise) to circumvent Congress and the Senate has been obstructing the House to the point where no budget has been passed in three years.

What this means, of course, is that the Democrats (whether they like it or not and they don't) own the economy and everything else that the voters find to be unpleasant about the country and the world. Which is most everything. Hard cheese, Democrats...you have to defend the mess you made.

Secondly, and more importantly, the Romney campaign is on offense in a big way. This is not the 2008 campaign of Senator Gelding who was terrified of doing or saying anything (including using the middle name of the Democrat candidate) for reasons that made sense only to him and his chronically overweight daughter.

Romney's offensive strategy is a pleasant surprise for me. I still don't care for him but, as Lincoln said about General Grant, "I can't spare this man. He fights." Romney's campaign is taking advantage of nearly every opportunity to stick the knife in and then usually for good measure, twist it a few times. This has kept the O'Bongo campaign on defense for the most part which is where it should be. The Democrats don't deserve to be on offense and their position is so weak, so pathetic that they won't be able to mount a solid offense as long as Romney can keep throwing the gut punches that make O'Bongo suck wind.

Barring a complete turnaround (which could always happen) this election is on a glide path for a Republican victory.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #249 on: August 20, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »
Excellent analysis Trap.

I have noted that the leftist toilet-drinkers (hard-core adherents to the dhimmicrat party no matter what) are beginning to circle the wagons. They are recognizing the attacks that are starting to come from the left, joining the onslaught from the right.

I continue to enjoy the confusion and frustration when the "arguments" they frame don't work. The reason why those tactics are failing? Because I decline to defend mittens. Instead I parry every attack against Romney (or now Ryan) by pointing out how Øbozo is any number of magnitude worse. They can't get any traction because I refuse to fight them on their terms.

So the lame crap that they have as arrows (tax returns, dog on the roof, and now Ryan "lying" about stimulus) have all the resonance of banging a tin cup.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #250 on: August 20, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »
Beck is all over the Ferguson article this morning. The mockery was cruel and excessive. I loved it!

He was also all over that pathetic New Mexico radio show...some #2 banana channel...and the DJ's were only allowed to ask non-political questions and the WH suggested like music and basketball!  Fracking hilarious!  "I'm a rock star, please like me and vote for me"!

::laughonfloor::

There are only so many mindless twits willing to go that route Barry, and they already are in your camp, dumbass!

::hysterical::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #251 on: August 20, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »
So the lame crap that they have as arrows (tax returns, dog on the roof, and now Ryan "lying" about stimulus) have all the resonance of banging a tin cup dead cat against a damp blanket.

Fixed it. Tin cups are noisy when banged. As you noted, they aren't getting traction. The arguments (such as they are) are lame. They are grasping at anything. Seriously...dog on roof? Dog on roof of mouth gets more action.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #252 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
Yeah, good stuff Trap, I especially like the gut punches that make Obama suck wind...what beautiful imagery!   ::danceban::

Saw this poll too.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/156776/swing-state-voters-say-no-better-off-2008.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All%20Gallup%20Headlines%20-%20Politics

If Gallup has a 16 point spread in a swing-state poll of just registered voters (only 970), you know the real picture is a hell of a lot worse for Team Stymie!

Keep the punches coming!   ::whoohoo::

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #253 on: August 20, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
Here's another punch...

Gas prices, musn't forget them, and the policies of the Obama Regime that have greatly exacerbated them!

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,5094.new.html

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #254 on: August 20, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
LINK

President Barack Obama’s campaign team, celebrated four years ago for its exceptional cohesion and eyes-on-the-prize strategic focus, has been shadowed this time by a succession of political disagreements and personal rivalries that haunted the effort at the outset.

Second-guessing about personnel, strategy and tactics has been a dominant theme of the reelection effort, according to numerous current and former Obama advisers who were interviewed for “Obama’s Last Stand,” an e-book out Monday published in a collaboration between POLITICO and Random House.

The discord, these sources said, has on occasion flowed from Obama himself, who at repeated turns has made vocal his dissatisfaction with decisions made by his campaign team, with its messaging, with Vice President Joe Biden and with what Obama feared was clumsy coordination between his West Wing and reelection headquarters in Chicago.

The effort in Chicago, meanwhile, has been bedeviled by some of the drama Obama so deftly dodged in 2008 — including, at a critical point earlier this year, a spat that left senior operatives David Axelrod and Stephanie Cutter barely on speaking terms — and growing doubts about the effectiveness of Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

The e-book, produced as part of a two-month reporting project that included interviews with two dozen current and former members of Obama’s team, illuminates how the mood and character of the 2012 reelection effort is flowing from the top — with Obama’s own personality and values shaping his campaign just as powerfully as he did four years ago.

If, at this point, the "doubts" about mutant poodle woman are merely growing then the situation is far, far worse than this e-book could possible describe. BTW, I wouldn't give the POLITICO a dime. It's an e-book...anything even vaguely worth reading or knowing will be all over the internet in a news cycle or two.

Many of Obama’s advisers have quietly begun questioning whether they should have picked Wasserman Schultz, an outspoken Florida congresswoman, as his DNC chairwoman. She has clashed with Chicago over her choice of staff and air-time on national TV shows — and they think she comes across as too partisan over the airwaves.

Congenital political tone deafness...otherwise known as an echo chamber...and its consequences. Their bench sucks. Without the press to cover for them and prop them up it would be embarrassingly obvious to even the most uninterested of the public.

Obama really doesn’t like, admire or even grudgingly respect Romney. It’s a level of contempt, say aides, he doesn’t even feel for the conservative, combative House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, the Hill Republican he disliked the most. “There was a baseline of respect for John McCain. The president always thought he was an honorable man and a war hero,” a longtime Obama adviser said. “That doesn’t hold true for Romney. He was no goddamned war hero.”

Time and again Obama has told the people around him that Romney stood for “nothing.” The word he would use to describe Romney was “weak,” too weak to stand up to his own moneymen, too weak to defend his own moderate record as the man who signed into law the first health insurance mandate as Massachusetts governor in 2006, too weak to admit Obama had done a single thing right as president.

The two things Obama fears most about a Romney victory: A 7-to-2 conservative Supreme Court within a few years. And the equally unbearable possibility, in his mind, that Romney will get to take a victory lap on an economic rebound Obama sees as just around the corner. “I’m not going to let him win … so that he can take credit when the economy turns around,” Obama said, according to an aide.

Failure to respect your enemy is a huge mistake. I don't like or admire O'Bongo one bit but I certainly respect the power that he wields as the president. Romney and his staff do, too, and have formulated a strategy to deal with it. O'Bongo is flailing because of his irrational hatred for Romney and it shows. Everyone sees it. It isn't presidential. It's juvenile in the extreme.

But he's right that we can't wait to pack the court. I would nominate Mark Levin in a heartbeat for the Supreme Court. That would shake things up.

But no, the economy isn't going to turn around for years thanks to O'Bongo's meddling with the free market. That it is going to turn around the day after Romney is sworn in is pure fantasy and massive ego on O'Bongo's part.

One of the larger reasons to vote Romney....If he will pack the court. But hey, so far his campaign has been heads and tails better than our 08 war hero....who didn't want to fight.

Obummer worried Romney would benefit from the economic "bounce" I guess obummer believes he is creating. ::hysterical:: ::hysterical:: ::hysterical::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #255 on: August 22, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
Saw this post over at HotAir and this is the sort of prediction that I have had in mind...landslide for Romney. As I have said over and over, I just don't see the electorate voting for more misery.

Using a state-by-state analysis of unemployment and per-capita income, academics Kenneth Bickers and Michael Berry of the University of Colorado project that Romney will win 52.9% of the popular vote and 320 electoral votes.

Bickers said much of the polling thus far means relatively little, with much of the electorate still not focused on the race. The academics said their model focuses on the preeminent issue of the economy. Applied retrospectively, the model predicts the correct winner in every presidential contest going back to 1980, they said.

Despite all of the cover offered by the MFM the public just won't be buying that everything is wonderful and getting better every day. Instinctively people know when they are being lied to on a grand scale. It is just flat out dishonest to say that O'Bongo has created jobs when the data unmistakably indicates that there are STILL fewer people with jobs today than when O'Bongo took office. When Romney gets officially nominated and can begin to spend on advertising these points about the economy need to be hammered into everyone's head until it becomes gospel.

And when that happens the election is over. O'Bongo has failed miserably. You know it. I know it. And soon everyone will know it.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2012, 11:12:33 PM »
The preference cascade rolls on...

These are powerful images. What can I say? O'Bongo has created a target rich environment.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »

Exceptional, send it to a liberal.
If it doesn't help change their
mind it will depress their vote.

I saved it on my laptop and it will be shown to a liberal at every opportunity.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #258 on: August 23, 2012, 12:19:50 AM »
Okay, so while I'm at it I am going to post on the whole Newsweek/Niall Ferguson thing which was the cover of Drudge a few days ago.

First here is the cover story that started it all. And a relevant quote just for the heck of it...

...the question confronting the country nearly four years later is not who was the better candidate four years ago. It is whether the winner has delivered on his promises. And the sad truth is that he has not.

In his inaugural address, Obama promised “not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth.” He promised to “build the roads and bridges, the electric grids, and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together.” He promised to “restore science to its rightful place and wield technology’s wonders to raise health care’s quality and lower its cost.” And he promised to “transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age.” Unfortunately the president’s scorecard on every single one of those bold pledges is pitiful.

The article goes on to catalog O'Bongo's various and storied failings much to the delight of conservatives. I think that conservatives (and I include myself here) derive more pleasure from this being the cover story of Newsweek and the ensuing liberal apoplexy that went with it than the article itself.

Perhaps one of the higher profile liberal freak outs came in the form of Paul Krugman's editorial rebuttal at the NYTs...

There are multiple errors and misrepresentations in Niall Ferguson’s cover story in Newsweek — I guess they don’t do fact-checking — but this is the one that jumped out at me. Ferguson says:
"The president pledged that health-care reform would not add a cent to the deficit. But the CBO and the Joint Committee on Taxation now estimate that the insurance-coverage provisions of the ACA will have a net cost of close to $1.2 trillion over the 2012–22 period."

Readers are no doubt meant to interpret this as saying that CBO found that the Act will increase the deficit. But anyone who actually read, or even skimmed, the CBO report (pdf) knows that it found that the ACA would reduce, not increase, the deficit — because the insurance subsidies were fully paid for.

Which was then followed by Niall Ferguson firing back at Krugman (and others)...

The other day, a British friend asked me if there was anything about the United States I disliked. I was happily on vacation and couldn’t think of anything. But now I remember. I really can’t stand America’s liberal bloggers.

“We know no spectacle so ridiculous,” Lord Macaulay famously wrote, “as the British public in one of its periodical fits of morality.” But the spectacle of the American liberal blogosphere in one of its almost daily fits of righteous indignation is not so much ridiculous as faintly sinister. Why? Because what I have encountered since the publication of my Newsweek article criticizing President Obama looks suspiciously like an orchestrated attempt to discredit me.

My critics have three things in common. First, they wholly fail to respond to the central arguments of the piece. Second, they claim to be engaged in “fact checking,” whereas in nearly all cases they are merely offering alternative (often silly or skewed) interpretations of the facts. Third, they adopt a tone of outrage that would be appropriate only if I had argued that, say, women’s bodies can somehow prevent pregnancies in case of “legitimate rape.”

Their approach is highly effective, and I must remember it if I ever decide to organize an intellectual witch hunt. What makes it so irksome is that it simultaneously dodges the central thesis of my piece and at the same time seeks to brand me as a liar. The icing on the cake has been the attempt by some bloggers to demand that I be sacked not just by Newsweek but also by Harvard University, where I am a tenured professor. It is especially piquant to read these demands from people who would presumably defend academic freedom in the last ditch—provided it is the freedom to publish opinions in line with their own ideology.

Finally, Newsweek decided that they had to explain and justify the "controversial" cover story and they discuss it here with Justine Rosenthal, the executive editor of Newsweek....

Miss Rosenthal looks like an animated corpse with eyeliner, BTW. Watching her talk was creeping me out.

The Daily Kos weighed in with several postings on the subject. Here is a link to the one with the most comments and it's pretty much what you would expect from the hysterical left.

Another offering from the DK...

I would advise anyone who currently subscribes to this rag to end your subscription promptly. This week, Newsweek Magazine is featuring it's cover story titled "Hit The Road, Barack. Why we Need a New President" This is nothing more than a smear attempt by a washed-up, has-been Harvard Professor, Niall Ferguson, a self-admitted Romney/Ryan supporter, who was an advisor to John McCain in 2008.

Of course, Newsweek wants people to know that Ferguson first and foremost is a "writer" and "historian" who just happens to think that Romney/Ryan would make a better President. But his propaganda piece is barf-worthy and bordering on fringe musings.

The PuffHo put out an article on the original Ferguson piece and its aftermath. The article is typical PuffHo boring but there are 800 or so comments that follow it with the usual unintentional comedy gold.

I have no idea why Newsweek would allow this story to be published. It's an even greater mystery as to why it ended up on the cover. Perhaps they are attempting to raise the profile of their mag to something above doormat...don't know. I certainly don't believe that they are attempting to be fair and balanced. That is patently absurd.

But, the thing is that this article or anything remotely like it would never have seen the light of day if things were even marginally hopeful that O'Bongo was going to be re-elected. I believe that Newsweek knows the truth about President Downgrade's odds on being returned to office and they are making the most of it for whatever reason. Keep your eyes out for more stuff like this showing up in other outlets in the next few weeks. This is a force of nature now.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2012, 12:28:33 AM »
I find it hilarious (if not infuriating) that the one time, every now and then, when we see what Rush aptly calls "a random act of journalism" the Left goes off into fits of apoplexy bemoaning the death of journalism. Boy, they really do have one gigantic blind spot don't they? It's a weakness and we need to learn to exploit it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly