Author Topic: Is Jiffy Lube ripping you off?  (Read 3455 times)

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Is Jiffy Lube ripping you off?
« on: September 15, 2011, 10:08:55 PM »
http://www.wimp.com/lubeinvestigated/

I can understand the pressure of a target sales projections but after getting caught with egg on their face, you'd figure that changes would be made. I blame this sh*t on the culture of the nation. Cheaters are rewarded and never chastised, honesty is penalized. ::puke::

The same reason the SCOTUS refuses to hear a eligibility case against our Illustrious Leader is clearly evident in how we perceive conducting business.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Is Jiffy Lube ripping you off?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »
You have to know what people are doing and check it yourself, period.  You can't trust anyone to do the right thing, that is the world we live in, the world the Left help create...but take your kid to McDonalds and give them fries and that fat beoach Moochelle will go Nazi on your ass and have your kids taken away to a proglodyte foster home!

It's all backasswards.

So yeah, culture trash runoff strikes again!

::outrage::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:29:10 PM »

Yes.  Took my vehicle in for an oil change and it didn't happen. 
I know they didn't do it because of the condition of the oil at the next change which I performed. Can I prove it?  No.  However, I change the oil at 3,000 mi. regularly and if you leave it for 6,000 it's very different.
Some of it also burns off.

After that incident I avoid those places like the plague.  If circumstance
forces me into one of those shops I stand and watch. 
No watching; no deal.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:06:37 PM »
I found an honest mechanic 22 years ago. John Alford, Alford's Service in Rogers MN. He recently retired and sold his shop. He owned the Sinclair station on what was a rural Interstate exit when he bought the place, but which has become one of the busiest these days. He got out when the gettin' was good, and God bless him for it. But he didn't just sell his business. He also sold his businesses name - to people that he personally vouched for. That shop still bears his last name on the sign, and that name is invaluable to the new owners.

He's a curmudgeonly fella, and was always busy. But not too busy to take a few minutes to shoot the breeze, fire off a smart-ass comment, or give you a look from beneath his bushy white eyebrows.

I've gone in there in the past and said, "I need you to give it the once-over. I'm going on a long trip, and I need you to check everything from top to bottom," and I've come away with a bill less than $100. I've taken vehicles there and asked for specific services, and John has called me on many occasions and talked me back from my request, either because the vehicle didn't need what I asked for, of because it wasn't worth the cost to repair.

There were even several times when I went in for stupid little things that I wasn't equipped to repair - moldings falling off, door locks malfunctioning, windows not rolling down properly, rattling under the vehicle. Instead of tying one of his guys up, he'd bring a toolbox out into the lot and mess with it himself. Sometimes he'd spend a half hour, sometimes an hour, cutting his knuckles and cussing, asking me about the wife and kids, talking fishing, etc. He'd get done, and I'd say "How much I owe ya?" A couple times he just winked and said, "I'll getchya later," or "You'll be back," or something along those lines. Other times, he'd say, "Ah, just gimme 20 bucks."

Honest to God, his retirement was an event in our lives that required some time to get over. You don't just find a guy like that very often these days. But his best mechanics moved over to the new shop, and along with the new owners, they've gone a long way to instilling confidence.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

ttomm46

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:45 PM »
I go to the Pontiac dealer..3 bucks cheaper than walmart and they rotate the tires and check the fluids.....after 5 oil changes the 6 one is free..26.95..can't beat it. ::thumbsup::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 11:25:07 PM »
I got my first car when I was 17 and have never once had the oil changed by anyone but me. Amsoil synthetic every 5,000 miles. I try to do most repairs and maintenance myself, for one thing I know it's getting done, and it saves a lot of money, but mostly I'm one of those odd birds who actually enjoys it.

I almost wince when I hear coworkers and other acquaintances talk about repairs they've had done, like $700 brake jobs for what I know is less than $200 of parts and labor.

What I'd really like to get is a truck or Jeep from the 70s, something simple without a bunch of electronics and environmental crap on it. That would be my SHTF vehicle. :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:17:47 AM »
When the Stymie Administration screws you they put sand in the grease . That's the only difference .

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 05:10:53 AM »
I feel your pain.

A Firestone "Service" Center opened up in town. It was such a big deal, they had Mario Andretti make a personal appearance. (My gawd has he aged. His handlers lead him around like a trained monkey, but he was a nice enough guy. I digress) I got some coupons in the mail for a brake job for a hundred bucks and an oil change for twenty. Not bad, huh? Well, those bastards kept me at the place for two hours and came over and said they couldn't do the brake job without me buying two brand new rotors cause they were not within tolerance for "turning". (For you gals out there, a rotor is the metal disk thingy that the brake pads squeeze to make the car stop.) Okay, I said, what do your rotors cost? They said $75. Apiece. $150 just for the rotors. Now, I'm a southern guy and didn't bounce outta the back of the turnip truck, if you know what I mean. I know what a freakin rotor cost at Auto Zone. About $25 each for a Suburban. Then he gives me this list of items that needed to be done. Immediately. In the interest of "safety." Another $400.00 bucks. And they charged my $19.95 when I didn't ask for a diagnostic service. I left with my oil change that ended up costing me $40.00.

I could have taken the rotors to O'Reilleys Auto and they would turn the rotors for $10 bucks apiece, but what the heck. New was only $15 more and I'm not that cheap. Well, I am, actually, but there are times when you go full boat. I got new rotors and put them on myself.

So, the moral of the story is beware of the guy up front workin on commission. Look for a small Mom and Pop biz where they will take your money, but treat you like family. And not just the brother-in-law.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:19:09 AM by BigAlSouth »
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:50:02 AM »
...Look for a small Mom and Pop biz where they will take your money, but treat you like family. And not just the brother-in-law.

Yup. My mechanic used to have us driving around with our check engine lights on. The light would come on, we'd take it in, he'd hook it up to the diagnostic thing, and if it showed "EGR Valve" as the culprit, he'd take it off the diagnostic and send us on our way. "Can you live with the check engine light?" The EGR valve is a pollution control device. Not a necessary component in his mind unless it's causing the vehicle to run rough, thus not worth repairing based on just the light.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:57:55 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »
I got my first car when I was 17 and have never once had the oil changed by anyone but me. Amsoil synthetic every 5,000 miles. I try to do most repairs and maintenance myself, for one thing I know it's getting done, and it saves a lot of money, but mostly I'm one of those odd birds who actually enjoys it.

I almost wince when I hear coworkers and other acquaintances talk about repairs they've had done, like $700 brake jobs for what I know is less than $200 of parts and labor.

What I'd really like to get is a truck or Jeep from the 70s, something simple without a bunch of electronics and environmental crap on it. That would be my SHTF vehicle. :)

::thumbsup::

I have been thinking along those lines too.  I miss the days when I could do just about all of my own maintenance and had cars with enough elbow room in the engine compartment that you could almost crawl in and take a nap!  Damned cars now days took to the Jap model and you practically can't fix squat without removing the whole damn engine!  Also, would like to find an older ATV to stash up at the lake.  Older stuff I have a half a chance of working with!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:58:15 AM »

::thumbsup::

I have been thinking along those lines too.  I miss the days when I could do just about all of my own maintenance and had cars with enough elbow room in the engine compartment that you could almost crawl in and take a nap!  Damned cars now days took to the Jap model and you practically can't fix squat without removing the whole damn engine!  Also, would like to find an older ATV to stash up at the lake.  Older stuff I have a half a chance of working with!

Exactly. I'm fairly mechanical but there is only so much I can do on recent models. I replaced a clutch and slave cylinder, which required dropping the transmission, but anything to do with the engine management or fuel injector system I'm pretty much SOL. It's all computerized with this circuit providing feedback to that circuit, which opens a vacuum servo over there. All of it is a TEOTWAWKI liability in my opinion.

Quote from: IronDioPriest
Yup. My mechanic used to have us driving around with our check engine lights on. The light would come on, we'd take it in, he'd hook it up to the diagnostic thing, and if it showed "EGR Valve" as the culprit, he'd take it off the diagnostic and send us on our way. "Can you live with the check engine light?" The EGR valve is a pollution control device. Not a necessary component in his mind unless it's causing the vehicle to run rough, thus not worth repairing based on just the light.

I've had a Check Engine light on for about three years now. The code is "Leak in Evap system", basically it's complaining about fuel vapors escaping from the gas tank, i.e. more environmental BS. The problem is, in this state we have annual inspections and if the Check Engine light is on your car will fail. For the past few years I've had to play a game of resetting the light and trying to get it inspected before the light comes back on. :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »
What I'd really like to get is a truck or Jeep from the 70s, something simple without a bunch of electronics and environmental crap on it. That would be my SHTF vehicle.

A lot of folks don't have room, budget, time, etc for a second (or third) vehicle. I do. During my lean years I had to learn how to squeeze a few more miles outta that rattletrap POS that was the only thing I could afford. I went through and quickly recognized the utility of a pickup. I've had one around ever since.

The thing to remember is that the pollution controls got going in earnest in 1970. "60's and earlier usually only had a PCV valve (to recirculate crankcase gases instead of venting to the air). The controls that were introduced during the 70's and into the 80's were experimental crap. I recall even back then the common sight of lifting the hood and encountering a butchered system as people tried to 'fix' what the manufacturers had screwed up.

My current trucks are 1937's. They are a lot of fun but parts are hard to find. I lost one entire year of use when I blew the transmission. If I were to do it again I would choose something mid 50's to mid 60's to build and run. They are incredibly easy to work on and not too hard to find parts for (sheet metal excluded).

I'm helping my brother with his latest project, a Studebaker pickup. The frame is a '53, the body is a '54, and the entire running gear is 1968 Ford. It's a nice size, classic Americana look, and as reliable and performance as anything off the showroom floor - but without a single computer or 02 sensor or flashing "check engine" light in it.

When he finishes it he is going to sell  his Toyota and that will be his daily driver.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 10:50:44 AM »

1975 Sub . 350 cid, 4 speed standard, 16.5 wheels, steel chrome bumpers, steel non crunch front frame horns, class III hitch

It's best not to stand behind the exhaust pipes until the engine is warm.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:45:46 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »
Good choice Charles. I have a 1987 Ford Econoline van, 460ci that I inherited from my father. All original, all well maintained. I have no doubt that it will outlast me. Not fast, not stylish, but hook it to a trailer and it could tow the Statue of Liberty.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »
Gosh, I'm jealous.  The most I can hope for from my hubby is that he wash the car himself and that ain't too often. 

I do long for an oldy that's tough and built to last (I'd love an old truck).  My brother messes with cars and could probably fix me up but he lives too far away to make it practical. 

Someday, someday....
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »

So, the moral of the story is beware of the guy up front workin on commission. Look for a small Mom and Pop biz where they will take your money, but treat you like family. And not just the brother-in-law.

Al ...
Firestone sales people don't make commission . The store manager receives a "profit bonus" at the end of the year . Brake and tune-up mechanics make a monthly bonus based on the amount of work they turn out individually . Gross profit percentages in the Firestone and Goodyear stores average close to 80% in brake and front end / suspension and around 70% in tune-up ( that's combined parts and labor ) . The managers and sales people are constantly warned about "barber shopping" customers but it still happens , as it did to you , all too frequently . I'm surprised they didn't try to open a Firestone Charge Account for you ... or did they ?

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 06:21:15 AM »
. . . I'm surprised they didn't try to open a Firestone Charge Account for you ... or did they ?

No. They just thought they could screw me on a first date . . .
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 08:01:35 PM »

Al ...
Firestone sales people don't make commission . The store manager receives a "profit bonus" at the end of the year . Brake and tune-up mechanics make a monthly bonus based on the amount of work they turn out individually . Gross profit percentages in the Firestone and Goodyear stores average close to 80% in brake and front end / suspension and around 70% in tune-up ( that's combined parts and labor ) . The managers and sales people are constantly warned about "barber shopping" customers but it still happens , as it did to you , all too frequently . I'm surprised they didn't try to open a Firestone Charge Account for you ... or did they ?

The mechanics are on flat rate so the more they churn out the more they make speed is how they make money and that's just the way it is.

My shop got tested by a local paper and we passed with flying colors but the problem was that they were only interested in nailing the thieves and put their name in the article but never put the honest shops in the article. How do I know this you might ask?because the dipstick that wrote the article told me when he brought his car in for repairs.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »
The newer models aren't so intimidating if you get a code reader to help trouble shooting. Although, I too, will be getting an older in a couple years.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson