Author Topic: LightSquared  (Read 4373 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: LightSquared
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
As we know, calling for the death of public officials cannot happen here. That said, I have no problem calling for the execution of George Soros. He is a traitor to the United States and the free world.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:45 AM »
Good article here at ZH -

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/preparation-solyndra-2-aka-lightsquared-humiliated-phil-falcone-gets-wells-notice#comment-1962926

Make special note of comment by "Gene Parmesan" and follow the link, the picture and the comments thatb follow, they're a hoot!

I'm sad to say this douchebag leftist crook is a product of Minnesota!  (He better not have any more ties to the Minnesota Wild!)  Another Harvard jackass to boot!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Falcone

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
More taxpayer "stimulus" money down the Obama donor rathole. This has the reek of scandal all over it. Between Solyndra, LightSquared, and Gunrunner, there should be enough to impeach.

LightSquared disrupts 75% of GPS receivers in gov’t testing
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline michelleo

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »
More taxpayer "stimulus" money down the Obama donor rathole. This has the reek of scandal all over it. Between Solyndra, LightSquared, and Gunrunner, there should be enough to impeach.

LightSquared disrupts 75% of GPS receivers in gov’t testing

Don't forget about MF Global.  Apparently that scandal also has George Soros' hands all over it.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 02:03:31 PM »
Soros shouldn't be above ground and Obama shouldn't be in office any longer.

No doubt I will continue to be disappointed on both counts.

Until people wake up and act it will be just more and more of this BS going down, it will not end...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »
[blockquote]
execution

noun
1. the act or process of executing.
2. the state or fact of being executed.
3. the infliction of capital punishment or, formerly, of any legal punishment.
4. the process of performing a judgment or sentence of a court: The judge stayed execution of the sentence pending appeal

ex·e·cute
verb (used with object)
1. to carry out; accomplish: to execute a plan or order.
2. to perform or do: to execute a maneuver; to execute a gymnastic feat.
3. to inflict capital punishment on; put to death according to law. [/blockquote] 

Here come da judge, here come da judge!
                                                                ::guillotine::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 08:35:57 AM »
Funny how one of the commenters is regurgitating the talking points verbatim that the Lobbyist are laying on Senators Klaus and Frankster.
(Yossarian)
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »
Yossarian!

::laughonfloor::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 06:42:18 AM »
First, in September, General Hugh Shelton is pressured to lie during a briefing to congressional members:

The four-star Air Force general who oversees U.S. Space Command walked into a highly secured room on Capitol Hill a week ago to give a classified briefing to lawmakers and staff, and dropped a surprise. Pressed by members, Gen. William Shelton said the White House tried to pressure him to change his testimony to make it more favorable to a company tied to a large Democratic donor.

The episode—confirmed by The Daily Beast in interviews with administration officials and the chairman of a congressional oversight committee—is the latest in a string of incidents that have given Republicans sudden fodder for questions about whether the Obama administration is politically interfering in routine government matters that affect donors or fundraisers. Already, the FBI and a House committee are investigating a federal loan guarantee to a now failed solar firm called Solyndra that is tied to a large Obama fundraiser.

Now the Pentagon has been raising concerns about a new wireless project by a satellite broadband company in Virginia called LightSquared, whose majority owner is an investment fund run by Democratic donor Philip Falcone. Gen. Shelton was originally scheduled to testify Aug. 3 to a House committee that the project would interfere with the military’s sensitive Global Positioning Satellite capabilities, which control automated driving directions and missile targeting, among other things.

According to officials familiar with the situation, Shelton’s prepared testimony was leaked in advance to the company. And the White House asked the general to alter the testimony to add two points: that the general supported the White House policy to add more broadband for commercial use; and that the Pentagon would try to resolve the questions around LightSquared with testing in just 90 days. Shelton chafed at the intervention, which seemed to soften the Pentagon’s position and might be viewed as helping the company as it tries to get the project launched, the officials said.

Then, on January 23rd, this news broke from Senator Charles Grassley's office:

Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa today asked the principal behind the LightSquared wireless project to explain a questionable contact to Grassley’s office that intimated benefits for Grassley if he softened his inquiry of government approval of the project.

Grassley wrote to Philip Falcone of Harbinger Capital Partners, expressing concern that two separate incidents implied a desire to have Grassley “pull punches” in his investigation.  Grassley said he “won’t be a part of that.”  One contact came in an email from Falcone to Grassley’s office, saying that since LightSquared is already in the political “arena,” it could be made a “win” for Grassley, LightSquared, and the consumer.

The second contact was from someone who intimated that he represented LightSquared in a call to Grassley’s staff.  The individual, Todd Ruelle, said he “only gets paid if this deal goes through” and hinted that if LightSquared were allowed to proceed, Grassley’s home state of Iowa could get a “call center.”   Grassley’s office advised Ruelle not to contact the office further and called the Senate ethics committee regarding the contact.

Amazing.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »
. . .
Amazing.

. . . or business as usual.

TEA PARTY NOW.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 07:03:43 AM »
Something NOW!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 09:07:33 AM »
If these numerous scandals are mentioned in the news at all, it is only obligatory. A story breaks after all, and must be mentioned. But at the first justifiable moment, they move onto something else and leave these things for the memory hole. I think they've even done it to F&F to an extent. It only pops up because new evidence continues to emerge, and it keeps working its way through the investigative office. But there is no national "scandal", and there should be about a dozen at least. The media malfeasance is just unconscionable.

And genteel Republicans wonder why the base gets so worked up when Gingrich takes it to the media.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »
Yeah, just having someone exhibit a will to fight back is filling a void that has been empty far far too long.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
FCC puts final nail in LightSquared coffin
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
HT: HotAir...

Lights out for LightSquared

National Journal calls it “a colossal fall from grace,” but it comes only as a political surprise that the FCC acted yesterday to kill off the LightSquared proposal.  After an extraordinary one-year grace period to resolve the interference issues of its network with existing GPS systems, the FCC reluctantly admitted that “no practical way” to fix the basic problem of high-powered terrestrial broadcasts on a spectrum slice intended for low-power satellite communications (via Instapundit):

[blockquote]The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) moved to reject LightSquared’s planned wireless network on Tuesday after the president’s top adviser on telecom issues said there is “no practical way” to prevent the network from disrupting GPS devices.

Philip Falcone and his investment firm Harbinger Capital invested billions of dollars in LightSquared’s plan to build a nationwide high-speed cellphone network, which now appears dead. …

On Tuesday, Lawrence Strickling, the assistant secretary for communications and information at the Commerce Department, said government testing showed LightSquared’s network would cause widespread problems with GPS devices, including ones used by pilots to prevent their airplanes from crashing.

“We conclude at this time that there are no mitigation strategies that both solve the interference issues and provide LightSquared with an adequate commercial network deployment,” Strickling wrote in a letter to FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski.[/blockquote]

The action by the FCC would not only end the waiver process, it would force LSQ off of the terrestrial towers it now uses on those frequencies, ending all of their operations:

[blockquote]As a result of Strickling’s recommendation, the FCC will propose revoking LightSquared’s conditional waiver and and indefinitely suspending its authority to operate cell towers.[/blockquote]

Much more deliciousness at HotAir...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:48:50 AM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »
More billions of taxpayer and investor money pissed away...

How do you not know your system interferes with another?   ::speechless::

I hope Falcone and his ilk are tracked down by angry mobs of investors!

Oh, and The Regime can earn its share of the punishment anytime!   ::outrage::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »
I imagine Philip Falcone as Sosa to Barack Obama's Tony Montana....

*Language*

Don't f**k me Tony - Quote - Scarface version (original)

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
NHTSA opening the back door for LightSquared???
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 08:34:58 AM »
This seems troubling to me.

We know the LightSquared story: Huge Democrat donor and Obama supporter Philip Falcone is the CEO of LightSquared. LightSquared gets stimulus funds and a promise from the administration to open up new frequencies for LS to implement a new, nationwide wireless broadband network, presumably to create the infrastructure for a government-controlled wi-fi entitlement for the po'. The technology will use the frequencies used by GPS satellites to operate consumer devices, and the administration is prepared to tell consumers to pound sand. LightSquared spends hundreds of millions on moving forward with the implementation of the network, and consumers who've spent hundreds of dollars apiece on personal GPS devices wait for the government to f*** them.

But then the military steps in and says no way. We use those frequencies too, and our testing shows that the satellites will be overwhelmed and all GPS devices risk being rendered inoperable. Our navigation and missile guidance systems, surveillance.... LightSquared and the Obama regime's FCC have no choice but to back off, tail between their legs, Philip Falcone being royally screwed in the keister.

But now comes this report. Seems the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has issued new guidelines for in-vehicle electronic devices. They are attacking "dynamic, continually moving maps" as a distraction and safety hazard. They are suggesting that these devices should display only static or near static images, which would render them useless - or at least no more useful than a paper map.

Yet their claim of GPS devices causing driver distraction is based on - NO RESEARCH.

Is this a backdoor effort to render consumer GPS devices useless, thereby freeing up satellite bandwidth for LightSquared? Is this the first step in the government making consumer GPS devices illegal via fiat regulation, so that Obama's promise to Philip Falcone can be fulfilled, and the broadband entitlement implemented?

I put nothing past these people. Nothing.

Fed driver distraction guidelines make navigation unusable

...Buried among equations for determining optimal display viewing angles and testing procedures is the recommendation that navigation devices should only show static or near-static images, which would essentially eliminate their usefulness.

Section V.5.b of the document titled Visual-Manual NHTSA Driver Distraction Guidelines for In-Vehicle Electronic Devices says that "Dynamic, continuously moving maps are not recommended."

The section, which deals with photographs or videos, says that static or near-static maps for the purpose of driving directions are acceptable. Near static is defined as being updated every few seconds.

Every current installed navigation system uses the car as a fixed point, and shows the map moving around it. NHTSA wants that changed so as to keep the map fixed. Even showing the position of the car moving on the map could be considered a dynamic image. The recommendation seems to suggest that the position of the car could only be updated every couple of seconds. Likewise, the map could be refreshed once the car has left the currently displayed area.

This recommendation would essentially make navigation unusable. The system could still give an auditory warning for the next turn, but without being able to glance down at the map and see how close the next street is would likely lead to a lot of missed turns and resultant frustration.

And although NHTSA includes the results of driver distraction studies in the guidelines, it has no testing directly related to using a navigation system. Instead there are more general conclusions against any tasks that require looking at a device for periods of more than 2 seconds, or a series of glances that amount to more than 12 seconds at at time....

More @ link....

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 09:22:33 AM »
Duh. When do people use navigation systems? Oh right! When they don't know where they are going.
I travel for work to strange cities.  Once upon a time I would have hand written notes and maps which I would constantly look down at while driving. Then came mapquest, and you would print those out, but you still had to look at them while driving.  Then came the first GPS navs-- I would pay a premium to get them with my rental car.--because they would speak to me , and if I had to glance at a map I could and I would know it would be centered right and I could quickly get the info I needed off of it instead of trying "to find where I was" - now the talking systems are built right into my Android phone, and now they want to take that away because they think I may be distracted by pretty updating pictures?  Even if the system doesn't talk, its those pretty updating pictures that minimize the time you are not looking at the road. 

We have GPS NAV no because it is better and safer than the alternative. Oh wait. You want to take away my car and make me live in a mud hut, don't you?  Neanderthal throwback  Dem Luddites.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
If it was just the consumer market with their Nuvi's it would be "screw you guys" and a done deal. But someone pointed out the massive commercial and civic market with everyone from the po-po and firefighters to Fed-x and everyone in between. You can't un-ring a bell and you can't destroy this market without catastrophic consequences.

That said, lahood is positively unhinged and I wouldn't put it past him to pull the trigger out of spite. The Øbongo regime is truly evil.