Author Topic: Hypocrite Buffett owes $1 Billion in back taxes.  (Read 2416 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Hypocrite Buffett owes $1 Billion in back taxes.
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:35:06 PM »
Guests, feel free to register and join the discussion!

At theblaze.com....

How Much is Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Back-Tax Bill Exactly? About $1 Billion

On Monday, The Blaze reported that Warren Buffett’s company, Berkshire Hathaway, owes back taxes dating to 2002. The news is significant because in a recent op-ed column for the New York Times, Buffett, one of President Obama’s staunchest supporters, stated that, to now, the “super wealthy” have been coddled and deserve to be taxed at an even higher rate than they currently are.

When Buffett made his revelation earlier in the month, most assumed his company was up-t0-date on its taxes. That assumption has turned out to be incorrect, however — and to a substantial degree perhaps.

According to Berkshire’s 2010 annual report, the company has been in a near decade-long struggle with the IRS over its own taxes. Using public documents, a certified public accountant detailed Berkshire’s tax problems to Americans for Limited Government researcher Richard McCarty, revealing the damage could be close to $1 billion. Netright Daily adds:
[blockquote]According to page 56 of the company report, “At December 31, 2010… net unrecognized tax benefits were $1,005 million”, or about $1 billion. McCarty explained, “Unrecognized tax benefits represent the company’s potential future obligation to the IRS and other taxing authorities.  They have to be recorded in the company’s financial statements.”

He added, “The notation means that Berkshire Hathaway’s own auditors have probably said that $1 billion is more likely than not owed to the government.”

$1 billion is not an insignificant chunk of change, even for Buffett, representing about 0.2 percent of the company’s $372 billion in total assets.[/blockquote]
The annual report goes on to state: “We anticipate that we will resolve all adjustments proposed by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (‘IRS’) for the 2002 through 2004 tax years at the IRS Appeals Division within the next 12 months. The IRS has completed its examination of our consolidated U.S. federal income tax returns for the 2005 and 2006 tax years and the proposed adjustments are currently being reviewed by the IRS Appeals Division process. The IRS is currently auditing our consolidated U.S. federal income tax returns for the 2007 through 2009 tax years.”

Meanwhile, McCarty believes Berkshire‘s current issues may be consistent with the company’s long-time history regarding taxes, noting,  “this is not the first time that Berkshire Hathaway has tangled with the IRS.”

“They fought a 14-year battle over the dividends received deduction. That case was just resolved in 2005,” McCarty said.

Before knowing just how much Buffett’s company owed, the press were quick to blast the mogul for his apparent hypocrisy...

More @ theblaze.com...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:38:50 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Hypocrite Buffett owes $1 Billion in back taxes.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »
Who the hell does he think he is George Soros?!

These people are beyond corrupt!  Where's the interest & penalties that everyone else is forced to fork over?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »
Buffett just dumped billions into Bank of America.  Can you say "tax write-off"?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
Buffett just dumped billions into Bank of America.  Can you say "tax write-off"?

Oh, but why oh why would he want a tax write-off? He wants to pay more taxes. Right? Right?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »
 ::hysterical::

FOO!

Friends Of Obama...do not pay taxes!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:41:28 PM »
For a guy who complains he doesn't pay enough in taxes, he sure is fighting the IRS to keep money. You'd think the IRS could just tell him to send the check and he would be giddy to do so.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 06:44:39 AM »
I know you're being sarcastic Don, but to hold the libiot feet to the fire, yeah, if they actually practiced what they preach that would be the case, but people thinking that are making some whopper assumptions...like libiots mean what they say...libiots have a conscious let alone a soul...that libiots are enlightened beings not self-absorbed attention whores...that libiots don't like exploiting the capitalist system for their own gain despite the anti-capitalist/anti-business propaganda spilling out of their mouths that only applies to people/industries they despise...that libiots don't know laws apply to those who are not Ruling Class insiders like themselves...little stuff like that...

::angry::

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:34:38 PM »