Author Topic: Fred Thompson on Perry: Not enough time to think  (Read 816 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
Fred Thompson on Perry: Not enough time to think
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:28:15 AM »
by Byron York Chief Political Correspondent

posted 12 hours ago at 9:53pm

"Republican presidential hopefull Sen. Fred Thompson smiles while speaking at a Friday Dec. 21, 2007, campaign stop in Sioux City, Iowa. (AP Photo/Dave Weaver)No one would deny that Rick Perry has made some glaring mistakes in his still-young campaign for the Republican presidential nomination. Under a constant media spotlight, he's paid a high price for them. But imagine if the Texas governor had gotten into the race last February, instead of just a few weeks ago. He could have made mistakes when nobody was watching, and he would have had time to think things over, refine his positions, and polish his presentation -- in short, to become a better candidate. Things would likely be much, much better for Team Perry today.

The last Republican who was a late entrant to the presidential race was former Sen. Fred Thompson, who declared his candidacy on Sept. 5, 2007. Coming in as a front-runner after months of buildup, Thompson's campaign experienced difficulties from the very beginning, and the media glare seemed to exaggerate even the smallest problems. Thompson finished third in Iowa, sixth in New Hampshire, and left the race after a third-place finish in South Carolina.

"There's no off-Broadway," Thompson says as he recalls the campaign's early days. "It's all compressed. You don't get a chance to knock the rough edges off."

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/fred-thompson-perry-not-enough-time-think?

Or to much time? In my opinion Perry wasn't prepared, he read his press, and I imagine, thought all he had to do was show up. Well not anymore!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:32:24 AM by jpatrickham »

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Fred Thompson on Perry: Not enough time to think
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
Fred Thompson wasn't presidential to begin with. Too much Hollywierd influence.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 06:06:01 PM »
Thompson is a conservative and has been good for the state of Tennessee.....I supported him wholeheartedly, but it was apparant after a few weeks his heart wasn't in the rigors of a Presidential run.

If I remember correctly, he was recruited into the race ( but my memory is a little vague on the point) and "answered the call". He should have taken time to prepare while he was contemplating a run. It's too bad....he is one of my favorite conservatives.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
Fred Thompson wasn't presidential to begin with. Too much Hollywierd influence.

Plus, down right Lazy!

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:53:33 AM »
I think his wife wanted it more than he did.
She's probably the one who should have run,
Seemed like the smarter of the two

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
Perry should have known better, he saw what happened to Thompson. Just showing up is no guarantee of the brass ring. Now, if Perry shot his wad, I suggest he go quietly into the night. These are very troubling times, and we need a leader that can lead.

Seemed like Perry was ready for the Macy's Day Parade, but not the down and dirty. Don't much care for Romney but, you must admit he is a trench fighter. We all know what the Democrats are willing to do, and that is why I think battle scared Sarah Palin in the end would come out on top.

If Perry is a prima donna, and it's really to early to tell, then we need a STRONG replacement. One with the tenacity of their convictions, and the guts of a Lion. To me, only one exists, and she is still waiting in the wings. Maybe she is looking for an invitation? Maybe, all we needed was to ask?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »
I think his wife wanted it more than he did.
She's probably the one who should have run,
Seemed like the smarter of the two

::rimshot::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »
Perry should have known better, he saw what happened to Thompson. Just showing up is no guarantee of the brass ring. Now, if Perry shot his wad, I suggest he go quietly into the night. These are very troubling times, and we need a leader that can lead.

Seemed like Perry was ready for the Macy's Day Parade, but not the down and dirty. Don't much care for Romney but, you must admit he is a trench fighter. We all know what the Democrats are willing to do, and that is why I think battle scared Sarah Palin in the end would come out on top.

If Perry is a prima donna, and it's really to early to tell, then we need a STRONG replacement. One with the tenacity of their convictions, and the guts of a Lion. To me, only one exists, and she is still waiting in the wings. Maybe she is looking for an invitation? Maybe, all we needed was to ask?

If her strategy is to wait and swoop in just before primaries kick off, so be it, but jumping in early makes no sense unless you have no national structure in place to help advance you.  She is one of the few who has time on her side.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:35:24 AM »

If her strategy is to wait and swoop in just before primaries kick off, so be it, but jumping in early makes no sense unless you have no national structure in place to help advance you.  She is one of the few who has time on her side.

Sarah Palin has been true to her word. She said I will wait and see who and how the Candidates react to the will of the people. She has, she will, and we will all be better for it! ::thumbsup::