Author Topic: Vera Bradley Expanding in Indiana  (Read 1076 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Vera Bradley Expanding in Indiana
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »
ROANOKE, Ind. (AP) _ Handbag and luggage maker Vera Bradley says

it plans to invest $22.5 million to nearly double the size of its

Roanoke distribution center, creating up to 124 new jobs by 2015.

The company announced the plan yesterday. The Indiana Economic

Development Corp. says it offered Vera Bradley about $1 million in

tax credits and other incentives based on its job creation plans

for the logistics hub.

link

Ah, let me see that would be what? About 124 more jobs than the prez has created?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Vera Bradley Expanding in Indiana
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »
124 private sector jobs more than he has .........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
124 private sector jobs more than he has .........

correction noted

:)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »
....... says it offered Vera Bradley about $1 million in

tax credits and other incentives
based on its job creation plans

for the logistics hub.

What irks me is having to bribe to get jobs. Instead of giving tax credits to certain companies to come in, how about giving them to ALL companies, large and small, that are already set up in state? We have the same problem here in LA. Jindal sprouts crap about how HE delivered jobs, but neglects to mention the small and medium companies who have laid off people or have even shut their doors. ::doublebird::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »
....... says it offered Vera Bradley about $1 million in

tax credits and other incentives
based on its job creation plans

for the logistics hub.

What irks me is having to bribe to get jobs. Instead of giving tax credits to certain companies to come in, how about giving them to ALL companies, large and small, that are already set up in state? We have the same problem here in LA. Jindal sprouts crap about how HE delivered jobs, but neglects to mention the small and medium companies who have laid off people or have even shut their doors. ::doublebird::

What Alan said. It's all well and good that Indiana provided an environment for private sector growth. But this picking winners and losers crap needs to stop.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:11:48 PM »
Oh, I agree.  It irks me when ever I hear some big company got incentives to stay in a state or relocate there. 

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:22:47 PM »

It's common practice, it's been common practice for more than decades. It's like a signing bonus.  They get a tax break which offsets the initial cost and in the long run taxes collected and wealth produced is mutually beneficial.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »

Couple of years ago Boeing was moving corporate headquarters and different cities were bidding to Boeing to attract them to its city.  Boeing picked Chicago.  A lot of good it did them.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »
Indiana is in a very unique position, it is called Illinois. Not only Indiana but, Wisconsin and Ohio as well. The Governors of these three States are like Vulture's ready to divvy up the spoils of the desperate Illinois Business People. Illinois is in trouble, and taxes is going to force many businesses out of Illinois. That is after Obama, he will give all tax payers money to keep Illinois going! ::gaah::
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:23:01 AM by jpatrickham »