Author Topic: Sabato: Christie Could Win It All In 2012  (Read 568 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
Sabato: Christie Could Win It All In 2012
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
Sunday, 25 Sep 2011 04:44 PM

By Gary Cohen

"The Republican Party needs a new top candidate for president, and a newly stirring Gov. Chris Christie would fill that void, University of Virginia Center for Politics Director Larry Sabato reveals to Newsmax in an exclusive interview.

And beyond filling a void, Sabato says New Jersey’s Republican governor can win the GOP nomination and conceivably go on to defeat President Barack Obama in 2012.

Sabato explains that he thinks the Republican Party is "disappointed with Perry and Romney," and the party "has an appetite for a new candidate." In describing the Christie's ability to go up against the top-tier candidates, Sabato adds, "Christie is in a league with those two."

On Friday, Newsmax broke the story that Christie is indicating that he might be inclined to run — despite the protestations of some aides.

Editor's Note: See "Christie Reconsidering '12 Run, Will Decide Within Days"

Several leading Republican donors and fundraisers have been urging the popular governor to reconsider his decision not to run and to enter the GOP primary, Newsmax reported.

These Christie supporters note that significant GOP support has remained on the sidelines of the primary fight. Many leading fundraisers have yet to commit to any current primary contender, including front-runners Rick Perry and Mitt Romney.

Newsmax also learned that the effort to draft Christie culminated in a hush-hush powwow held in the past week with Christie and several notable Republican billionaires.

A source familiar with the meeting suggested that Christie seemed inclined to enter the race but said he needed more time.  Christie’s dramatic about-face from strict denials of any intent to throw his hat in the presidential ring should come as welcome news to many rank-and-file Republicans, he says. Indeed, Sabato believes that Republicans are not universally pleased with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney as a whole "and are disappointed with how Texas Gov. Rick Perry has performed in the debates."

Read more on Newsmax.com: Sabato: Christie Could Win It All In 2012
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/christie-gop-romney-obama/2011/09/25/id/412191?s=al&promo_code=D1FA-1

Been out of touch for a while, watched the Debate, and now Herman Cain is the Man in the spotlight. Love the Man but, he is not ready for Prime time. He is a Ron Paul type protest, Sort of the "None Of The Above," vote. Excuse me but, didn't we just elect one of those in 08? Obama was nothing more than a gimmick, we don't need no stinking gimmicks we need a Leader. If I want a Pizza Franchise I hire Herman Cain, if I want to save the World I vote for a Rick Perry, Sarah Palin or a Chris Christie with a whole bunch of splainin. Like what does he really feel about Islam, and could he wipe them out if it became necessary? Perry, Palin would do it, have no doubt. Basic Reality is put Americans to work, close our borders, and prepare to take on Islam, Russia and China when the time comes, PERIOD!!!! ::rant:: Just became a new Grandfather so the "Fierce Urgency Of NOW," rings true with me, and my own! ::hat-tip::
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:47:20 AM by jpatrickham »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Sabato: Christie Could Win It All In 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:28:22 AM »
Congratulations on your new Grandfatherhood!

And, no; no Christie, no way, no how.  I'd go as far as to say, Hell No, Christie.

He's a gun-grabber, a softie for islam, and a cap'n'trader.

Desist now or I shall taunt you some more!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
Ditto on the Grandfatherly congratulations!

And a ditto on "hell no"!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Normally spot on in his analysis, this is the first time I think Sabato went off the deep end.

(Sabato was four years ahead of me in grade/high school.)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »
Quote from: Pandora link=topic=3077.msg 34272#msg 34272 date=1317054502
Congratulations on your new Grandfatherhood!

And, no; no Christie, no way, no how.  I'd go as far as to say, Hell No, Christie.

He's a gun-grabber, a softie for islam, and a cap'n trader.

Desist now or I shall taunt you some more!

I surrender, haven't followed Christie much, one thing I know, he would have me in his face if he talked to me as he has done others. I guess it is Sarah or Bust!  ::thumbsup::