Author Topic: Sizing up Herman Cain in today's (9/24) Florida straw poll  (Read 3757 times)

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Re: Sizing up Herman Cain in today's (9/24) Florida straw poll
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »
If you've followed him over the years via his radio how and columns you can get a good feel as to how he thinks. If and that's a big if, America can elect such a principled man then America could have a fighting chance at survival.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 09:06:22 PM »

Final straw poll results from Florida

Herman Cain, 37.1%
Rick Perry, 15.4%
Mitt Romney, 14.0%
Rick Santorum, 10.9%
Ron Paul, 10.4%
Newt Gingrich, 8.4%
Jon Huntsman, 2.3%
Michele Bachmann, 1.5%

...Godfather Pizza CEO Herman Cain won

... And the bottom drops out for Bachmann. I'll continue to look forward to her moving the debate in a constitutional direction, but I think I am coming to grips with the reality that she peaked in Iowa.

She can gain some ground but she's got to cut the hyperbole.
Also, she's in the MSM ditch and must work up credible TV facetime in order to secure more questions at the next debate.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »
I don't think so Charles. Just my gut. I think the conservative electorate got a look at her, liked her guts and obvious love for the constitution, but then got to know her, and found out that she's not presidential.

I have always thought that she is right where she belongs - as my representative. She votes right almost every single time. I don't have to pester her or wonder how she'll come down on key issues. That is something of great value, and she should be proud to occupy that role.

I'm glad she's running. Her voice needs to be heard. But I really think that the idea of her becoming president was flirted with after Iowa, and discarded in the subsequent weeks.

My most fervent hope is that a) she hasn't ruined her credibility here at home in the 6th, and b) that she can win here again and someday become speaker of the House.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
I don't think so Charles. Just my gut. I think the conservative electorate got a look at her, liked her guts and obvious love for the constitution, but then got to know her, and found out that she's not presidential.

I have always thought that she is right where she belongs - as my representative. She votes right almost every single time. I don't have to pester her or wonder how she'll come down on key issues. That is something of great value, and she should be proud to occupy that role.

I'm glad she's running. Her voice needs to be heard. But I really think that the idea of her becoming president was flirted with after Iowa, and discarded in the subsequent weeks.

My most fervent hope is that a) she hasn't ruined her credibility here at home in the 6th, and b) that she can win here again and someday become speaker of the House.

Well, let's hope she hangs hard, repairs her credibility at home and secures the chair of an important committee.
Electing a good person for president does no good without a solid support system in congress.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »
Is this Palin's opening?
Even though I like Michelle, I never felt she was strong enough.
Not sure if this is the right word

I'm happy with Cain's victory.

The longer we can deny the Establishment's choices of Romney and Perry, the better

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »
I'm happy with Cain's victory for that reason too AP. I like the guy, and I like what he stands for. I like it that he's from outside politics. I like thinking about how the Left's heads would spin 360ยบ running Obama against a Black man. Even though he's stumbled and had a few run-ins with his mouth that've made me cringe, I pretty much agree with him ideologically down the line.

But the thing about his victory in Fla that gives me the most hope and encouragement is that the grassroots - at least on this day - seems to be saying "no way" to the candidates the establishment is determined to foist upon us. They shoved a false dichotomy of Romney vs Perry upon Republicans in Florida, and they said, "Cain".

That makes me happy, at least for today.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 11:31:06 PM »
It's a long hard road ahead, IDP, and the destination is far from certain.

But, Bachmann's victory in Iowa and Cain's today gives me some hope that those who value Liberty stiull have a fighting chance

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 12:16:29 PM »
I take a day off from this forum and look what happens.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 12:31:22 PM »
Funny, I said this just days ago...

This is the second debate in a row where I have come away with the thought that Gingrich and Cain looked the most reasonable of the lot. Cain, I think, would make a good president but I don't see him getting much traction. I hope that I am wrong on that. Gingrich I have mixed feelings about. I think he is pretty damn sharp...seems way smarter than most of the other candidates...but on the other hand he has zero exec experience and we all know how that works out. Plus, he's mainly an idea guy...big ideas. I am not convinced that he has the discipline to get any of them off of the drawing board and into law.

Sadly, if I was forced to put money down (right now, today) on who I think the nominee is going to be, I would pick Romney as the guy who is going to come out on top. Perry could have been that guy but now I don't see it happening. His intransigence on immigration is his undoing. I am not a Romney fan at all but at this point, barring something else happening, I think that he is going to win. He is this year's McCain apparently.

Sure hope that Cain can somehow pull off a miracle, though.

Wish granted.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 12:40:55 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »

House Majority Leader, Michele Bachmann sounds good to me.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 01:37:07 PM »

Cain's got a message for Barry and to the United States.

A Failure to Lead

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »

Final straw poll results from Florida

Herman Cain, 37.1%
Rick Perry, 15.4%
Mitt Romney, 14.0%
Rick Santorum, 10.9%
Ron Paul, 10.4%
Newt Gingrich, 8.4%
Jon Huntsman, 2.3%
Michele Bachmann, 1.5%

...Godfather Pizza CEO Herman Cain won

Who the hell is this Michael Bachman guy?

/s
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »
I think Bachmann needs to throw in the towel on this. If she wants to continue poking the Ruling Class in the eye, come out and endorse Herman Cain. I just want to see the Establishment frustrated at every turn.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 04:09:35 PM »
So...Cain now has some traction. I hope that he is agile and deft enough to capitalize on it quickly rather than allow it to fade.

Now (putting on the strategy hat) I am going to go out on a limb here and say that, barring a huge gaffe or bizarre scandal (unlikely but you never know), Cain has probably got the veep slot locked up at this point at the bare minimum. I think that he even has a pretty good shot at the nomination.

Here's why: O'Bama has nothing substantive to run on. You can pretty much count on him bringing up the OBL killing but really that's yesterday's news. In the "What have you done for me lately?" world of media news he needs more and he has nothing. So what can he run on? Racism will be the undertone of his campaign. He will attack, indirectly through un-named sources and directly if necessary, his Republican opponent with any and every  charge of racism that he can dream up. Cain is the inoculation to this pathetic strategy. If enough voters sense this then that gives Cain a significant advantage over Romney. And again, Cain can probably do no worse than veep under these circumstances.

RickZ

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »
Yep, that's why I continue to support Sarah.  She's the best we have by a mile, and it's time for a Hail Mary pass.  Or, to mix sports metaphors, you want your best hitter at the plate with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth.

If she doesn't win, then we have to go to Plan B, which is probably better not discussed in public.

Ya know sumptin'?  I don't think the baseball's right.  It's more like with Palin, it's the bottom of extra innings, down by two, no one on, two out and two strikes.  Hitting a home run won't do any long-lasting good, that is, she needs to be the start of a conservative revolution, and not a One Hit Wonder that Chicago Barry is.  It's a tall order as Reagan could not really do it.  Can Palin do it?  I don't know, but I want to give her her shot:  She's rested, she's on the bench and she swings a mean bat.

AP's right:  A Cain win is a loss for the Republican Party hierarchy/elite.  Without a TEA Party, Cain is nowhere to be found.  Running for, and being, president is not just about politics, but about ideas and agendas.  IDP said it about Bachmann, that she will vote pretty much the way he thinks almost every single time, and how that is comforting.  Palin has great ideas, Constitutionally right beside Reagan's theories of small government.  The left only wins elections because the rest of us are lazy (and not said in too much of a derogatory manner).  The left get out the registration for votes, get out the votes, intmidate for the votes, i.e., just like how Obama won.  I  still believe, maybe surrendering to my own prejudices, that Palin has great support in this Nation.  That she gets enthusiastic crowds when she speaks.  Now this doesn't mean much for than she has a name.  It is her record that speaks for itself, moreso than any Repub politician running.

As an aside, I hate the format of these 'debates'.  Kee-rist on a rubber tipped crutch!  These denates aren't supposed to be about who asks the questions -- and how they ask them, but about those who seek from us our most precious legacy:  Our vote.  Let these people go at each other as well as Obama.  Romney should not be sacrosanct because of RomneyCare/nanny state attitudes; Perry should not be off limits on Immigration/the security of the borders of a free and self-ruling nation-state; Palin should not be off limits for resigning the Governorship/quitting.  But let me hear them actually debate something, not this made-for-tv format (compressed to fit the time allotted).

I'll add my own conceited reaons for Palin running, getting the nod and taking it to Obama:  She's been through the media's trial by fire and burning at the stake.  No one else comes close in experience in this area.  And any Repub running thinking he's supposed to be liked just doesn't get it.  The media will never 'like' them, will never go with the good of a candidate over rumor and innuendo (why break a streak?).  I honestly think she's got the aplomb -- and witticisms -- to carry the day with at least 51% of the vote, or 4 2 hundred and 70 some electoral votes [Ed. - F*ck!].  I believe the media think they've killed Palin.  But they underestimate her like they underestimated a guy like Reagan.  There's something about brutally honest and folksy that is a winning combo with the cynics now known as the American people.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:13:34 AM by RickZ »

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 07:51:57 PM »
Thanks, RickZ for the great analysis.

I have some pretty big issurs with Sarah.
But, I would get behind her in a heartbeat.
Some for reasons you stated.

She is a leader. She can fire people up and can reduce those complicated issues to simple, pithy sound bites that our ADHD addled electorate can grasp.

She makes the media march to her tune

There is no doubt she loves this country
And she's tough as nails

charlesoakwood

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »

The cumulative knowledge of the candidates is increasing with each debate.  Whether the candidate is a winner or shoots a good zinger we are getting to know them better and better, getting a "feel" for them.  At the same time the blogs and gotcha media are at work exposing foibles.  Sarah Palin is not participating in this part of the vetting process, it appears she is avoiding this exposure and that is regretful.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »

The cumulative knowledge of the candidates is increasing with each debate.  Whether the candidate is a winner or shoots a good zinger we are getting to know them better and better, getting a "feel" for them.  At the same time the blogs and gotcha media are at work exposing foibles.  Sarah Palin is not participating in this part of the vetting process, it appears she is avoiding this exposure and that is regretful.

Eh..... She is likely the only (potential?) candidate who has the popularity to keep herself out of the fray of a frothing, hateful media....if she was part of this farce called debates.

Heck, she has been vetted. We all know where she stands, we know her strengths and her weaknesses. If she gets in, there will be plenty of opportunity for the media elites to "vette" her...again, and again, and again.....

I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »

I want to see her go up against her peers.

Offline Janny

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 11:12:26 PM »
... And the bottom drops out for Bachmann. I'll continue to look forward to her moving the debate in a constitutional direction, but I think I am coming to grips with the reality that she peaked in Iowa.

Yeah, I had high hopes for her, but it definitely is looking like she doesn't have what it takes.

This decisive victory for Cain is going to make things mighty interesting!