Author Topic: This is Why Space Settlement is Important  (Read 3228 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
This is Why Space Settlement is Important
« on: September 24, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
This is a "mash-up" YouTube video.  It features excerpts from a lecture by Jeff Greason, which I've linked before, along with various clips from eco-marxists which serve to underline his point.

This is Why Space Settlement is Important

There is plenty of commentary at Transterrestrial Musings, which is where I found it.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

Re: This is Why Space Settlement is Important
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »

Haven't seen it yet but I gotta say I was aghast when we planted the flag and didn't claim the moon.
People got bored.  After the third flight to the moon they needed to do something: a mine, a colony, blow it up - something.  The trip was no longer important.  NEXT

claim the north and south poles too

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 05:30:51 AM »
I don't understand why we want to go to dangerous and thoroughly inhospitable places when God gave us a perfectly safe and hospitable planet on which to live .... And I'm not one of those " If God had wanted us to fly he'd have given us wings "  idiots .

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 05:34:03 AM »
I'm with you, SH.  I have no desire to fly to the moon and beyond, but I do not begrudge others their fascination with it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 05:36:49 AM »
I'm with you, SH.  I have no desire to fly to the moon and beyond, but I do not begrudge others their fascination with it.

::thumbsup::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 06:52:50 AM »
If I was going to fly on a spaceship I'd probably have to quit smoking.

That might be the only thing that would make me do it.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline QuantumG

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 07:55:15 AM »
I think humanity has long since grown beyond the natural world - which is why I find it most disturbing when idiots, like those in the video, advocate returning to nature. Our ability to live anywhere is what makes us human. Cutting the cord with Earth is the next logical step, and conquering the universe is our birthright.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:17:28 AM »
I admire people who have the knowledge and ability to survive in the wilderness, under rough conditions.  They have practical knowledge.  They know how to hunt game and which parts of what plants are edible.  But they are usually not the ones who try to force the rest of us to live like that.

The eco-tards in the video have plenty of theoretical book-learnin', but they wouldn't know which end of the spear to insert into an animal.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:53:57 AM »
I think humanity has long since grown beyond the natural world - which is why I find it most disturbing when idiots, like those in the video, advocate returning to nature. Our ability to live anywhere is what makes us human. Cutting the cord with Earth is the next logical step, and conquering the universe is our birthright.

We should have already explored Mars and Venus and decided which is the most suitable for colonization.
We should have thriving extra-terrestrial colonies on one or both planets.
The flag planted and claims laid.

::USA::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »

We should have already explored Mars and Venus and decided which is the most suitable for colonization.

Mars is clearly the best candidate for colonization.  Venus is very close to the traditional picture of Hell.

Although I wonder what it might have been like 2-3 billion years ago, when the sun was cooler than today.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
Aside from the whole imperative of expanding and exploring, I think it is necessary for the cause of human freedom. Our ancestors who founded America came across an ocean to get away from very much the same sort of meddling busy bodies and stunted opportunities that now emanate from Washington. We don't have the option of a vast wilderness to move to anymore. As a species we need a frontier.

If space exploration had not spent the past 50 years as essentially a government monopoly, we would probably have some sort of semi-permanent outposts by now.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »

Mars is clearly the best candidate for colonization.  Venus is very close to the traditional picture of Hell.

Although I wonder what it might have been like 2-3 billion years ago, when the sun was cooler than today.

That's the point.  We don't know what're the positives and negatives of either from a practical perspective.
Venus may have a multitude of necessary natural resources and travel from Mars to Venus and back would
not be difficult.  Getting off our duff will get the ball rolling.  Best wishes to all the private entrepreneurs may
the government stay out of your way.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:55:48 PM »
Why is a permanent presence in space important?

1) It's the ultimate high frontier. It's the Golan Heights of the future. Who would you rather have looking down on Earth? Us or the ChiComms? I choose us.

2) We have the technology so we no longer have the excuse to say we can't.

3) It is existentially moronic, given #2, to leave all of humanity's eggs in one basket. Civilization-ending natural disasters have happened before. They will happen again. I don't wish to join the dinosaurs in history's dumpster.

4) Resources. The moon is a virtual treasure trove of untapped natural resources. It has the added benefit of a very low gravity well so that launching them into Earth orbit is relatively easy. The asteroid belt is also a potential source of resources but the moon is much closer to Earth.

5) Growth. If you aren't growing you're dying. We (as a species) need to be growing. Space is the logical place for that growth.

6) Luddites are idiots. Who wants to be a Luddite?

These are the quickest reasons that come to mind. I am sure I could come up with more given time. I am certain that there are others who have as good or better reasons.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 07:27:17 AM »
Pretty good reasons Trap.

I'd like to expand upon that Luddite theme and how it relates to point #1 where you declare "I choose us" if you don't mind...

First, free people should dominate space.  The liberals, leftists...Luddites, whatever label they carry...have mucked up planet earth to a point where I don't know if it is ultimately salvageable.  Going into space seems a practical opportunity to exploit.  Second, establishing long-term presence in space presents the opportunity for free people to escape the insanity of planet earth which has been so poisoned by crazy leftists and Musslims and those that aid and abet them, fleeing to space will be like the Europeans fleeing persecution and starting a new life in the New World.  So Final Frontier?  Yeah, count me in.  I just hope I live long enough to see it!

PS-Can you envision how awesome frontier justice can be applied in space?  Got a bad apple in the bunch?  "Hi, I am Sheriff Libertas, step into this hatch please"...whooosh...

;D

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.