Author Topic: "Taxpayers Actually Contribute Nothing To Public Employee Pensions"  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Take a look at this load. In essence, they're now trying to argue that the taxpayers contribute nothing to these public employee pension plans because the contributions made are actually just a form of deferred compensation. What a shell game. If an employee is making $60,000 per year, what would that figure be with the "deferred compensation" factored in? Now, let's compare that figure to a person in an equivalent position in the private sector. Houston, we've still got a problem!

I can't get over all the blithe dismissal of this fiscal mess we're in. There's a whole lot of admiring of the emperor's new clothes going on. ::bashing::

Gov. Scott Walker says he wants state workers covered by collective bargaining agreements to “contribute more” to their pension and health insurance plans. Accepting Gov. Walker’ s assertions as fact, and failing to check, creates the impression that somehow the workers are getting something extra, a gift from taxpayers. They are not. Out of every dollar that funds Wisconsin’ s pension and health insurance plans for state workers, 100 cents comes from the state workers.

Via tax.com

How can this be possible?

Simple. The pension plan is the direct result of deferred compensation- money that employees would have been paid as cash salary but choose, instead, to have placed in the state operated pension fund where the money can be professionally invested (at a lower cost of management) for the future.

So you see, there's no problem at all! (/sarc) Of course, for most of us, our "deferred compensation" is from earnings that we contributed to a retirement plan from our actual salary, not our imaginary salary. I see it deducted from the pre-tax dollars on my pay check.

This is a total shell game. Why not give them all a $500 monthly vehicle allowance too? We could just say they actually make $6,000 more per year in salary so it's really their own money and not the taxpayers'.

http://blogs.forbes.com/rickungar/2011/02/25/the-wisconsin-lie-exposed-taxpayers-actually-contribute-nothing-to-public-employee-pensions/
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: "Taxpayers Actually Contribute Nothing To Public Employee Pensions"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:32:29 AM »
The very first penny of salary/wages is funded by taxpayers; everything flows from that fact.  Deferred compensation is simply taxpayer money taken later rather than sooner.

Anybody buying into this tall tale is equivalent to the average guy who believes he paid no income taxes because he got a refund.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:12:31 AM »
The very first penny of salary/wages is funded by taxpayers; everything flows from that fact.  Deferred compensation is simply taxpayer money taken later rather than sooner.

Anybody buying into this tall tale is equivalent to the average guy who believes he paid no income taxes because he got a refund.

No doubt. Talk about grasping at straws.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:29:14 AM »
Unfortunately, his “smoking gun” is not true. Not even close.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/260785/forbess-wisconsin-pension-myth-christian-schneider
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie