Author Topic: County Rights: What Taxes Should Really Be (Hint: Low!) in a Free Society  (Read 728 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
"We have now laid out the fundamental shape of decentralized government as it ought to be.
The county should be fundamental, and people should have to deal with no government official other than their county officials, with perhaps limited exceptions for State elections, etc. This is nowhere more true than with that most hated of all ancient evils"
-- taxation.

"What we have been trying to demonstrate -- based on biblical and historically Christian ideas, as well as their implementation in much of western history -- is the power that true federalism has for restoring and protecting freedom.

In theory, in a truly federal system, the National government should only govern States, State governments should only govern counties, and county governments only should govern the people (and where there are smaller units below counties, such as townships, towns, cities, etc., then the principle of federalism should extend that much further)...."

Read the rest of this article »http://americanvision.org/5189/what-taxes-should-really-be-hint-low-in-a-free-society/  

Read more on this topic »http://americanvision.org/category/county-rights-project/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:24:25 PM by jpatrickham »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: County Rights: What Taxes Should Really Be (Hint: Low!) in a Free Society
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 02:44:59 PM »
...in a truly federal system, the National government should only govern States, State governments should only govern counties, and county governments only should govern the people (and where there are smaller units below counties, such as townships, towns, cities, etc., then the principle of federalism should extend that much further)...."

Would that there was a place on earth where this was being practiced. I would go there.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:53:29 PM »
...in a truly federal system, the National government should only govern States, State governments should only govern counties, and county governments only should govern the people (and where there are smaller units below counties, such as townships, towns, cities, etc., then the principle of federalism should extend that much further)...."

Would that there was a place on earth where this was being practiced. I would go there.

A LOT of people would go there!

A new nation "New Liberty" is born!

Count me in!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 03:09:24 PM »

A LOT of people would go there!

A new nation "New Liberty" is born!

Count me in!

ditto! ::USA::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »
I don't think there would be room for everybody. ::grouphug::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »
I don't think there would be room for everybody. ::grouphug::

They say that all the people in the whole world could fit inside a space the size of Texas.

::thinking::  ::stirpot::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:28:34 PM »
That's where I want to be! 

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."