Author Topic: SCOTUS 2012: The Grand Finale  (Read 50071 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: SCOTUS 2012: The Grand Finale
« Reply #380 on: June 29, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »
@ HotAir, via Erika Johnsen:

Paul Ryan:
[blockquote]“We have a law that we have one more chance to repeal, and that’s this November election,” Ryan continued. “That’s basically what the Supreme Court did; they raised the stakes of this election. We have one more chance – and that’s basically what they said. The people of this country are going to be the final arbiters of this.”[/blockquote]

For one reason or another, I’m sure many of us will be bristling with Chief Justice Robert’s mandate-permitting opinion on ObamaCare for some time to come, but everybody’s been discussing at least one key takeaway from his decision that I thought very profound:

Roberts:
[blockquote]Members of this Court are vested with the authority to interpret the law; we possess neither the expertise nor the prerogative to make policy judgments. Those decisions are entrusted to our Nation’s elected leaders, who can be thrown out of office if the people disagree with them. It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.[/blockquote]

At the end of the day, it is absolutely true that we did this to ourselves. As the years have worn on, we’ve consistently demonstrated a prevailing penchant for electing people into office who do little to safeguard our personal freedom and responsibility. Instead, we reward politicians for signing more ‘free’ stuff into law and sending home as much pork as possible. If we don’t stop living in our little bubbles of willful ignorance and summon the political will to reverse the bacchanalian frenzy of entitlement spending and big government, America’s best days really are behind us — and it’ll be nobody’s fault but our own.

"We did this to ourselves" is simplistic, but not inaccurate. The citizenry were supposed to be the final arbiters all along, and somehow, we were "Pied-Pipered" as a society into believing that our vote was our primary civic duty. It was never our primary duty, but the “long train of abuses and usurpations” were heretofore tolerable to an adequate degree to lull us to collective complacency and stay our wrath.

I think that is about to change. If people don't see now that voting is among the minimum of their civic duties, they never will.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #381 on: June 29, 2012, 03:32:34 PM »

Roberts:
[blockquote]Members of this Court are vested with the authority to interpret the law; we possess neither the expertise nor the prerogative to make policy judgments. Those decisions are entrusted to our Nation’s elected leaders, who can be thrown out of office if the people disagree with them. It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.[/blockquote]

That is BS. Its basically claiming we are a democracy - and that a majority has the right to enslave, tyrannize and persecute a minority if their elected representatives choose to do so. So if the majority want making theft from an minority a "policy" - its okay?  According to Roberts it is.   

If you believe, as Jefferson did, that this government was instituted to safeguard the inalienable rights of individuals, then you know this court and decision have nothing to do with consent, justice or even common sense.  May Roberts burn in hell for all eternity.

Maybe when the fascist libs  really get going I can get a job as a torturer. There is a line of work I think I would enjoy. Especially if fed a constant supply of rubes who voted for Obama.  After all, its these useful idiots who always find themselves on the chopping block next. Can't have them laying around and following some other cheating lying demagogue.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #382 on: June 29, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »
It was never our primary duty, but the “long train of abuses and usurpations” were heretofore tolerable to an adequate degree to lull us to collective complacency and stay our wrath.

Okay, then.  What IS our primary duty?  I pay my taxes, obey the law, help others where I can, pray; what have I been neglecting?

IDP, I sense that you are trying desperately to come to grips with this last blow, to determine a course ahead that will allow at least a modicum of peace in your soul and heart, so please tell me what not laying down/not ceasing to fight but turning it over to God looks like in real terms?

Every time lately that it has appeared we may have triumphed in a small way on one issue or another, we're defeated in the least likely of ways from unsuspected sources; it's as though we just can't catch a break. 

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #383 on: June 29, 2012, 04:57:38 PM »
I knew the Court wouldn't save us.  We have to save ourselves.

Or, trust our sovereign heavenly Father to do what He will do, and allow what He wall allow. He judges nations, after all.

I am getting weary enough of the fight that I'm feeling ready to turn it over completely to Him. Not meaning lay down and die, but meaning fight on, with no earthly chance of success - asking for the God-given courage of Gideon, and the complete trust of Joshua at Jericho  - relying not on my own power or skill, but His will alone.

I'm thinking we just cannot save this nation without God, and that it may even be His will that this nation should perish in its current form. There is, after all, supposed to be strife, persecution, and tribulation before the return of Jesus Christ. I think anyone who believes in Him better start thinking about how to be at peace with that, and preparing for however it might look.

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,2232.msg25118.html#msg25118

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #384 on: June 29, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »
...Okay, then.  What IS our primary duty?  I pay my taxes, obey the law, help others where I can, pray; what have I been neglecting?

In hindsight, it looks like the main thing Americans failed to do that would have prevented this end was a widespread sustained and fully engaged generational citizen activism in the extreme. Think "Tea Party" activism, sustained from the time of our great-great grandparents carried through the generations in response to the over-reaction to the Civil War going forward. I think it's likely the only thing that could've prevented this outcome or something similar. Hindsight. Phhht.

The fact remains, year after year, cycle after cycle, the American people have gone to the polls and cast a vote for people who carried us further and further from the constitution. If prior generations only could have seen where that would ultimately bring us, and had a "Tea Party" of their own, and passed that kind of foundational zeal down through the generations...

IDP, I sense that you are trying desperately to come to grips with this last blow, to determine a course ahead that will allow at least a modicum of peace in your soul and heart, so please tell me what not laying down/not ceasing to fight but turning it over to God looks like in real terms?
You sense correctly, and I don't know. But Psalm 46 has been on my heart: "Be still, and know that I am God." In the end, that may be the most logical answer.

Can I trust in Him to tell me what to do, when to do it, when to fight, when to feint? That's difficult to do. But maybe that's what I need to do.

Every time lately that it has appeared we may have triumphed in a small way on one issue or another, we're defeated in the least likely of ways from unsuspected sources; it's as though we just can't catch a break.

Indeed. America's back is against the wall.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:52:25 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #385 on: June 29, 2012, 06:36:12 PM »
In hindsight, it looks like the main thing Americans failed to do that would have prevented this end was a widespread sustained and fully engaged generational citizen activism in the extreme. Think "Tea Party" activism,

I don't think there's was an instance in our history where that opportunity existed and was missed.  People forgot the Constitution.  They talked liberty and freedom but they were never close to the Constitution.  They have some vague idea that it exists but it's not relevant to them.

Can I trust in Him to tell me what to do, when to do it, when to fight, when to feint? That's difficult to do. But maybe that's what I need to do.

I think that's what we need to do.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #386 on: June 29, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
"A Principled Prescription for America's Health: The Perspective of a Doctor-Turned-Lawmaker"

The suggestions of this Republican congressman made back in April doesn't inspire me.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #387 on: June 29, 2012, 07:05:26 PM »

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/06/29/obamacare-forces-ewtn-to-pay-fine-on-faith/

The leading Catholic media organization in the world, Eternal Word Television Network, is prepared to pay a “financial fine on faith” likely to exceed at least $600,000 per year rather than comply with Obamacare’s anti-conscience mandate.

EWTN is suing the federal government over the anti-conscience mandate, which requires religious institutions to provide “preventative” services — including abortion-inducing drugs, contraceptives and sterilization —  in its health plans, regardless of the institution’s moral or religious objections.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #388 on: June 29, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/06/29/obamacare-forces-ewtn-to-pay-fine-on-faith/

The leading Catholic media organization in the world, Eternal Word Television Network, is prepared to pay a “financial fine on faith” likely to exceed at least $600,000 per year rather than comply with Obamacare’s anti-conscience mandate.

EWTN is suing the federal government over the anti-conscience mandate, which requires religious institutions to provide “preventative” services — including abortion-inducing drugs, contraceptives and sterilization —  in its health plans, regardless of the institution’s moral or religious objections.

I just made a donation to them.  I'm willing to financially support any organization willing to stand up against Obamacare.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #389 on: June 30, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »

Laura Ingraham's O'Reilly Factor Interview with Two Constitutional Scholars

http://minx.cc/?post=330610

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #390 on: June 30, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
CO, to what website is that link?  I'm not clicking on anything anymore that I can't see.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #391 on: June 30, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »

AoSHQ

Thought it'd be recognizable.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #392 on: June 30, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »

AoSHQ

Thought it'd be recognizable.

Not from the url, it isn't, and apparently "minx etc etc" IS Ace's usual permalink url.  I didn't know that; his "home" url is recognizable.

eta:  And that isn't correct either; the "minx" url is the comments url.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:34:35 PM by Pandora »

charlesoakwood

« Reply #393 on: June 30, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »

It is correct in that it is the AoSHQ article in it's entirety, including comments, that I directed to.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #394 on: June 30, 2012, 05:04:42 PM »

It is correct in that it is the AoSHQ article in it's entirety, including comments, that I directed to.

Right, but it doesn't show up as "ace.mu.nu"; it shows up as "minx" and as I don't know "minx" I don't click.

Sorry for appearing to nitpick; I'm just trying to explain.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:10:46 PM by Pandora »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #395 on: June 30, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
EWTN doesn't need to pay any fine. They should keep on as they are and force the Regime to send their jackbooted thugs and physically remove them from their broadcast facilities. The same should go for every other Christian organization that refuses to pay for legalized murder. The sooner the ante is upped and the government forced to reveal just who they really are, the better. The worst thing any of us can do now is to let them get away with the narrative that there is voluntary compliance.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #396 on: June 30, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »
EWTN doesn't need to pay any fine. They should keep on as they are and force the Regime to send their jackbooted thugs and physically remove them from their broadcast facilities. The same should go for every other Christian organization that refuses to pay for legalized murder. The sooner the ante is upped and the government forced to reveal just who they really are, the better. The worst thing any of us can do now is to let them get away with the narrative that there is voluntary compliance.

::thumbsup::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #398 on: June 30, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
I was considering posting that at the local forum, but I realized none of the Lefties would watch because the female in it would look them like Sarah Palin.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #399 on: July 02, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »

Rush is reporting that this "disastrous" opinion was reported correctly in this
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3460_162-57464549/roberts-switched-views-to-uphold-health-care-law/ article, therefore, Roberts is effectively hostage to the media.  He changed his opinion because of media pressure and the dissent did not mention Roberts because they were so mad at him the left him out.