Topics > Politics/Legislation/Elections

Fred Thompson on Perry: Not enough time to think

(1/2) > >>

jpatrickham:
by Byron York Chief Political Correspondent

posted 12 hours ago at 9:53pm

--- Quote ---"Republican presidential hopefull Sen. Fred Thompson smiles while speaking at a Friday Dec. 21, 2007, campaign stop in Sioux City, Iowa. (AP Photo/Dave Weaver)No one would deny that Rick Perry has made some glaring mistakes in his still-young campaign for the Republican presidential nomination. Under a constant media spotlight, he's paid a high price for them. But imagine if the Texas governor had gotten into the race last February, instead of just a few weeks ago. He could have made mistakes when nobody was watching, and he would have had time to think things over, refine his positions, and polish his presentation -- in short, to become a better candidate. Things would likely be much, much better for Team Perry today.

The last Republican who was a late entrant to the presidential race was former Sen. Fred Thompson, who declared his candidacy on Sept. 5, 2007. Coming in as a front-runner after months of buildup, Thompson's campaign experienced difficulties from the very beginning, and the media glare seemed to exaggerate even the smallest problems. Thompson finished third in Iowa, sixth in New Hampshire, and left the race after a third-place finish in South Carolina.

"There's no off-Broadway," Thompson says as he recalls the campaign's early days. "It's all compressed. You don't get a chance to knock the rough edges off."
--- End quote ---

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/fred-thompson-perry-not-enough-time-think?

Or to much time? In my opinion Perry wasn't prepared, he read his press, and I imagine, thought all he had to do was show up. Well not anymore!

AlanS:
Fred Thompson wasn't presidential to begin with. Too much Hollywierd influence.

Predator Don:
Thompson is a conservative and has been good for the state of Tennessee.....I supported him wholeheartedly, but it was apparant after a few weeks his heart wasn't in the rigors of a Presidential run.

If I remember correctly, he was recruited into the race ( but my memory is a little vague on the point) and "answered the call". He should have taken time to prepare while he was contemplating a run. It's too bad....he is one of my favorite conservatives.

jpatrickham:

--- Quote from: AlanS on September 27, 2011, 05:18:22 PM ---Fred Thompson wasn't presidential to begin with. Too much Hollywierd influence.

--- End quote ---

Plus, down right Lazy!

AmericanPatriot:
I think his wife wanted it more than he did.
She's probably the one who should have run,
Seemed like the smarter of the two

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version