Topics > Faith & Family

book claims 95 per cent of parents have a favorite child

(1/3) > >>

LadyVirginia:
linky link

Radio station I'm streaming is discussing this:

--- Quote ---It is the kind of knowledge, one imagines, would leave a child requiring years of therapy. So a new book's claim that 95 per cent of parents have a favourite is a controversial one.
Writer Jeffrey Kluger, who dedicates a chapter of The Sibling Effect to favouritism, believes those who don't admit to loving one child more are lying.
He writes: 'It is my belief that 95 percent of the parents in the world have a favorite child, and the other five percent are lying.'

--- End quote ---

Just the kind of junk articles that drive me crazy.

rickl:
I didn't read the link, but the premise sounds plausible to me.  It's only human nature to have preferences about everything.

My younger sister always thought our parents favored me, and she had a lot of resentment about it.  If I have to be honest, I think she had a point.

ETA:  I don't have any kids myself, so that's the only data point I have to work with.

Predator Don:
I have a favorite child. ( Of course, I only have one child)...and he is 26 now.

rickl:
As a thought experiment, suppose I am a big baseball fan and I have two sons.  One is a high school baseball star and the other displays no athletic ability.  I will automatically tend to have more fondness towards the baseball star even if I don't mean to show any favoritism.  It's only human nature and it could be completely unconscious on my part.

Alphabet Soup:

--- Quote from: rickl on September 29, 2011, 06:30:19 PM ---I didn't read the link, but the premise sounds plausible to me.  It's only human nature to have preferences about everything.

My younger sister always thought our parents favored me, and she had a lot of resentment about it.  If I have to be honest, I think she had a point.

ETA:  I don't have any kids myself, so that's the only data point I have to work with.

--- End quote ---

I was dead-center in a family of five kids. I was also the most self-sufficient and the lowest maintenance. Naturally my folks liked me best  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version