Author Topic: Illinois AG demands release of all gun owners' names  (Read 3169 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Illinois AG demands release of all gun owners' names
« on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:35 PM »
Guests, take a look around our conservative forum, "It's About Liberty". Register now, and join the discussion!

This doesn't surprise me coming out of Illinois. But I have to say, the Left plays the game for keeps. They don't let anything get in their way that can be moved. For the entire history of this country (with exceptions), we've basically lived under the assumption that we hash it out at the ballot box, and then we live with the results for the next two to four years. Not anymore. "The law be damned, we're moving forward with the agenda" is the new battle cry of the Left. You see it from the Obama administration, and you see it here, from the Illinois attorney general.

The 2nd Amendment is being reaffirmed and statutorily strengthened all across the country, and court decisions have definitively undercut the state of Illinois' efforts to thwart the 2nd Amendment. But that doesn't stop the Left. Nothing is settled law for them, and if they lose one decision, they find another place to attack, no matter how badly they have to trample the spirit of the law to do it. They just keep ignoring what they can get away with, attacking what they can't ignore, and undercutting the spirit of the law by ignoring their legislative bodies as well as the courts.

Damn their evil souls to hell.

HT: theblaze.com...

Illinois Attorney General Demands Release of All Gun Owners’ Names

Gun owners have the constitutional right to bear arms, but do they have a right to confidentiality?

The state of Illinois is currently weighing this question. On Monday, state Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s office issued a ruling that declared the names of gun permit holders to be public information that must be disclosed. But the agency overseeing such permits — the Illinois State Police — may challenge the ruling in court once it becomes binding.

The Chicago Tribune notes that state police officials have long believed that releasing such information about firearm permit holders would an unwarranted invasion of privacy and ultimately endanger the lives of gun owners of those who don’t have firearms. But the attorney general disagrees, claiming the public has a “legitimate interest” in knowing who owns a gun.

The debate began after the Associated Press filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request last September for the names of each state permit holder and their permits’ expiration dates. When the state police agency denied the AP’s request, the public access counselor intervened.

“The General Assembly has clearly determined that it is in the public interest to provide a system for identifying those who are qualified to acquire or possess firearms through the issuance of FOID [Firearm Owners identification] cards,” assistant public access counselor Matthew Rogina wrote at the time. “The public, therefore, has a legitimate interest in ISP’s enforcement of the FOID card act.”

The attorney general later insisted that addresses and telephone numbers of FOID cardholders should remain private.

On Tuesday, a state police attorney announced that the agency may take the matter to court. Meanwhile, Republican state lawmakers are planning to debate legislation that would make the state’s 1.3 million gun owners’ names permanently private.

“You can own a handgun, and information about whether you do or don’t is private information,” state Rep. Ron Stephens said. “There is no reason for anyone or any government agency to make available to you or anyone else whether I have a FOID card.”

But Brian Malte of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence disagrees. “There should be public scrutiny on any licensing system, whether it’s to own or to buy or to carry,” Malte said. “The public has a right to know how well those systems are working, especially when it involves firearms.”

Knowing who has guns and who doesn’t means criminals know whom to burglarize, or worse, said Todd Vandermyde, Illinois lobbyist for the National Rifle Association (NRA). “You potentially make us targets… Or, on the inverse, you could say, ‘These are the homes that don’t have FOID cards so it‘s likely they don’t have guns, so therefore they make better targets.’”

The state police made the same argument, but the attorney general dismissed it as “speculative and conclusory.”

“ISP has offered no details to support its argument that disclosure of this information to the AP would result in a safety threat to any individual,” Rogina wrote.

State Sen. Kirk Dillard, a Republican sponsoring the Senate legislation making FOID information private, also warned that people who want to own guns but don‘t want their names publicized may be forced not to comply with existing law if the attorney general’s decree stands.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: Illinois AG demands release of all gun owners' names
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
The State Police seems to be on the side of the people in this case.  That's a good sign, at least.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »
But Brian Malte of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence disagrees. “There should be public scrutiny on any licensing system, whether it’s to own or to buy or to carry,” Malte said. “The public has a right to know how well those systems are working, especially when it involves firearms.”

The way around that would be to have untrammeled Second Amendment rights, i.e., no license or permit necessary.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:46:56 PM »

The way around that would be to have untrammeled Second Amendment rights, i.e., no license or permit necessary.

Another way around it would be to claim those rights for ones self, regardless of statute. I know people who do that. The logic being, you have the right according to the constitution, and statute doesn't negate the right any more (or less) than a totalitarian gun-grab would negate the right. Additionally, if you're ever in a position to use deadly force to save your life or someone else's, whether you have a permit or not is not a priority concern, especially when weighed against the government intrusion you subject yourself to by "keeping it legal" up until the moment you actually need it. So goes the logic.

For the record, I myself choose to carry a permit because I'm a family man and want no quarrels with the law. But if government threatened to publish my name? Lights out.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »
Boy, does this instance really highlight what the Left is all about when it comes to guns or what?

Leftnut AG, hates guns and people who like them.  Leftnut AP, hates guns and people who like them.

“speculative and conclusory”?

BS!  You have said NOTHING supporting your position for wanting these names?  For what purpose, Ms. Madigan?  What possible good could their names in your hands have ANY MERIT?!

And the AP?  NO FREAKING STANDING!  They should be told to piss off!

I'm with Rickl, there should be no bar to gun ownership and possession for lawful citizens, period.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline The_Basseteer

• Newb
    • Où Sont Les Escargots D'Antan?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »
Well, all the "goblins" out there will now know which homes NOT to break into. I see this backfiring on Illinois in a big, big way.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »
I'm with Rickl, there should be no bar to gun ownership and possession for lawful citizens, period.

I agree. And that should extend to the type of fire control system. Why shouldn't I be able to have burst or full auto? That's one of the more glaring ironies: while European countries are much more restrictive about gun ownership in general, they're more lax about things like full auto and silencers. I never in a million years would have guessed you could buy a full auto and silencers in France of all places. But you can, provided you meet the general firearm possession requirements.

The intent of the 2nd Amendment is for the citizenry to have personal arms comparable to contemporary military individual arms. Let's be serious, an AR-15 hardly becomes the Hammer of Thor just because you add a 3-round burst capability to it, but the law is certainly structured on such a premise.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 05:36:59 PM »

This should help them out if need be.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

hemm

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »

Now ya see, that sign would be totally worthless in my 'hood..............

and that ain't by accident..........

::overkill::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 12:09:43 PM »

::hysterical::

Hey, libtard neighbor?!

::mooning::

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Delta Force

• Likes the place
  • "You can run, but you'll just die tired!"
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 12:17:26 PM »

Now ya see, that sign would be totally worthless in my 'hood..............

and that ain't by accident..........

::overkill::

Or it could be turned into a real interesting SURPRISE!!! ::evilbat::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 12:37:09 PM »
Actually the sign would make great burglar bait.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

hemm

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »
Actually the sign would make great burglar bait.

::laughonfloor::