Topics > Politics/Legislation/Elections

Rick Perry & the "Niggerhead" stone

(1/10) > >>

IronDioPriest:
You've got to be frikking kidding me. This isn't his property. He didn't put the rock there. There is no justification for using this to attack Perry. But they will.

"Niggerhead". Get used to it. It's the new Macaca.

At Rick Perry’s Texas hunting spot, camp’s old racially charged name lingered

In the early years of his political career, Rick Perry began hosting fellow lawmakers, friends and supporters at his family’s secluded West Texas hunting camp (that appears to be a boldfaced lie), a place known by the name painted in block letters across a large, flat rock standing upright at its gated entrance.

“Niggerhead,” it read.

Ranchers who once grazed cattle on the 1,070-acre parcel on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River called it by that name well before Perry and his father, Ray, began hunting there in the early 1980s. There is no definitive account of when the rock first appeared on the property. (Oh, maybe PERRY put it there, huh?) In an earlier time, the name on the rock was often given to mountains and creeks and rock outcroppings across the country. Over the years, civil rights groups and government agencies have had some success changing those and other racially offensive names that dotted the nation’s maps.

But the name of this particular parcel did not change for years after it became associated with Rick Perry, first as a private citizen, then as a state official and finally as Texas governor. Some locals still call it that. (Citation, please) As recently as this summer, the slablike rock — lying flat, the name still faintly visible beneath a coat of white paint — remained by the gated entrance to the camp...

The rest of this shameful smear at the link...

IronDioPriest:
And of course, Perry is now in the position of defending against a false charge of racism...

Rick Perry disputes Washington Post story on slur

..."Governor Perry and his family never owned, controlled or managed the property referenced in the Washington Post story. The 42,000-acre ranch is owned by the Hendricks Home for Children, a West Texas charity.

"Perry’s father painted over offensive language on a rock soon after leasing the 1,000-acre parcel in the early 1980s. When Governor Perry was party to the hunting lease from 1997 to 2007, the property was described as northern pasture. He has not been to the property since 2006.

“In 1991 the Texas Legislature passed a bill to rename old, offensive place names."

IronDioPriest:
And the fact that Herman Cain seemingly buys into this race-baiting and appears willing to use it to his advantage by playing the race card disqualifies him in my mind. He needs to retract this idiotic piling on now. Now Herman.

I will not support or vote for a politician willing to cynically use race against his opponents. Screw that.

Cain: Name of Perry's Hunting Camp 'Insulting' to Blacks

...There "isn't a more vile, negative word than the N-word, and for him to leave it there as long as he did, until before, I hear, they finally painted over it, is just plain insensitive to a lot of black people in this country," said Cain..."

charlesoakwood:

There are too many people who remember the common occurrence of this naming from the time of the Brits using the term for a mooring iron to a lake not 100 miles from home. This is another attempt to rewrite history with a smear.
Citizens of America are tired of PC tyranny.

Note: the word Nigger has been altered by system software, none of the following had the spelling altered.  Also some of the capitalization such as the word Nigger is used as a proper noun has also been altered by system software.

A small sampling:

University of Arizona
THE FLORA OF ARIZONA
The kind commonly called the nigger head is round, of the size of a cabbage, and covered with large, crooked, catlike thorns.

Niggerhead Mountain in Los Angeles County
Interactive Map of Niggerhead Mountain
Feature Name         County   Type           Latitude                  Longitude          Alt   USGSMap
Niggerhead Mountain   L A    summit      34.1097222222        -118.808888889         Point Dume

Quintessential Negro

Once I was working on a news story about the Department of Justice's recent efforts to investigate unsolved deaths from the Civil Rights era. I'd obtained documents that suggested there were unsolved, racially motivated killings in three North Carolina towns: New Bern, Shelby and Gaston. I needed to match those towns with their respective counties in order to contact the local branches of the NAACP, which organize at the county level. Of course, I grabbed the Gazetteer. While thumbing through the book's 'N' section, I discovered some of the state's old geographic treasures.

There's Nigger Bay, which lies between Swan Island and Currituck Banks in northeast Currituck County. Nigger Head, a mountain on the Clay-Macon County line, climbs to 4,900 ft. Niggerhead Creek rises in east Union County and flows into northwest Richardson Creek. Nigger Mountain, also known by its proper name, Mount Jefferson, is in Ashe County. Niggerskull Creek rises in central Jackson County and flows southwest into Tuckasegee River.

And there is Nigger Skull Mountain (not to be confused with Niggerskull Mountiain) in west Haywood County on the head of East Fork. Niggerskull Mountain (for Nigger Skull Mountain, see above) is in central Jackson County between Niggerskull Creek and Gladie Creek. Nigger Spring, in south Haywood County, feeds into the Little East Fork Pigeon River.

I turned to the 'W' section of the book, looking for a little justice. I found Whitehead Creek, White Hill, White Lake, White Marsh, White Pond, White Rock, Whites Creek, Whites Crossroads, Whites Island, Whites Store, Whites Swamp, Whites Township and, of course, Whiteville. No White Trash, though. And I couldn't find any mountains or lakes named after cracker-ass-crackers or honkeys.

I picked up the phone and called my local county branch of the NAACP. "Hey man, this is Quint...yeah, me again! You aren't gonna believe this one..."

WISCONSIN BOTANICAL INFORMATION SYSTEM
Specimen Detail Page
Pop. Area:           
State:     Wisconsin    County:     Burnett    Country:     USA
Site No.:     
Collection Event:     
Place:     Near Nigger Head Lake. [Rice Lake]
Annotator:    Jones, Almut G.
Date:    1977

The following are of a more historical reference:

202 VERMONT HISTORICAL MAGAZINE.

There are only two ponds which lie wholly in this town—Nigger Head, of cir­cular form, and about half a mile in width, and Nob Hill ponds. Long pond lies partly in Marshfield and partly in Groton.
NIGGER HEAD  mountain, in the north-easterly part of the town, is a steep precipice, 500 feet high, in one place 300 feet perpendicular. It is an imposing sight, so bold, precipitous and grand—nature enthroned in one of her wildest phases. On its dizzy heights we have a remarkably fine view of the sur­rounding regions, and of the bright waters of the beautiful pond below, and nowhere can one get a better view of the fearful precipice, than in a little boat on the waters at its base.
WATER PRIVILEGES...
... and in addition to all these, Nigger Head brook, from where it leaves Nigger Head pond to its entrance into the Winooski, has a succession of falls, making good locations for mills; all the better, as the stream is never materially affected by drought.

For Sale

The scenes are as follows: Bird's Eye of Dock, Beauty Bay, Sherman St., double views Opera House and Electric Station on same page. Nigger Head Lake & High School on one page. Bank & Trust and Hotel Idaho on one page. Catholic Academy, 2

IronDioPriest:
Good collection Charles. History doesn't matter to the WaPo though. They're only concerned about the term's usefulness in their smear campaign.

And alas, barring some kind of retraction or clarification from Cain (which seems necessary a little too often BTW), it appears that a smear campaign is Cain's concern as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version