Author Topic: Christian-Themed Movie 'Courageous' Resonates With Audiences Across America  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
This past Friday night I went to the opening night of "Courageous" with a LOAD of guys from my church.  I was in the second group.  The first group went to Buffallo Wild Wings before the movie and then they took every seat in the theatre.  I was in the second group.. we got In and Out Burger and then the movie.  I think there was about 50-75 guys in our group.  Anyway.....

Absolutely fantastic movie.  A great reminder of the importance of a father to his family, the responsibility of the father to his family, etc.  Life changing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9VT_NBIVfs&feature=player_embedded#at=74

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
This is an Alex Kendrick film - same fella who produced "Facing the Giants" and "Fireproof" - both excellent Christian-themed films made on a shoestring budget. Definitely will see "Courageous".
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
definitely will look for this
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
Posted on October 3, 2011 at 7:53am by  Billy Hallowell

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/christian-themed-movie-courageous-resonates-with-audiences-across-america/

"Have you heard about “Courageous,” the new, Christian-themed movie that opened with great success this past weekend? The film — produced by Sherwood Pictures, the media division of Sherwood Baptist Church – tackles the challenges surrounding fatherhood.

The movie delves into the stories of four law enforcement officers. The men, Adam Mitchell, Nathan Hayes, David Thomson, and Shane Fuller, are good at what they do, but they face a major challenge at home: Learning how to be good and active fathers. Here’s more of the synopsis from the movie’s official web site:

While they consistently give their best on the job, good enough seems to be all they can muster as dads. But they’re quickly discovering that their standard is missing the mark.

When tragedy hits home, these men are left wrestling with their hopes, their fears, their faith, and their fathering. Can a newfound urgency help these dads draw closer to God … and to their children?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bevshFjt00o#ws

Watch the trailer, below:

COURAGEOUS Movie Trailer

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:14:00 PM by jpatrickham »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
I finally got to see this film at a father-son church camp retreat this past weekend. Holy smokes, what a powerful film. Definitely on the recommend list for reorienting dads with a biblical list of priorities in raising good men and women.

It's much more than just a list of all the crap we do wrong, a mirror that shows us how we fail, or an idealistic view of what we're supposed to do. It's an entertaining look at fulfilling the fatherly role according to scripture, with a poignant story and several subplots that portray what success and failure in that role looks like.

Such a roller coaster of good humor and devastating sorrow are created even with an occasional but consistent hint of wooden acting. So many good lessons packed into one movie. Somehow this relatively amateur filmmaker is able to reach right into the heart of matters of faith and the faithful. I believe Kendrick is called by God to his film ministry, and that his work is anointed by God's blessing, but I understand YMMV. One must judge such things for themselves.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Is this on DVD now?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Is this on DVD now?

I think it must be by now. It's been many months since it was in theaters. We saw it at bible camp, so I suppose it's possible that churches got some special first dibs, but I doubt it. It probably won't be at Target or Best Buy. Probably Walmart, but for sure LifeWay (Used to be Northwestern Book Store) will have it. Otherwise I'm sure Amazon or any other online retailer will have it.

ETA: Yeah, it's on DVD at Amazon.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:31:56 AM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Cool, I'll get a copy and bring it to the lake and play it when the whole clan is on hand.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
I saw a DVD display at a local Christian book store yesterday. So yup, it's out on DVD. :)
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
I'll have to get a copy. Along with Fireproof.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson