Author Topic: GAO Report on Border  (Read 2375 times)

charlesoakwood

GAO Report on Border
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »
IDP's http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,9.0.html brought this topic to mind:

Author  libertasinfinitio
« Thread Started on Feb 17, 2011, 7:56am

http://www.usnews.com/news/washington-whispers/articles/2011/02/16/border-patrol-controls-just-44-percent-of-south

So, let's see, by my math -

Only 129 miles of 2,000 total miles on our sourthern border are "secure". That's just 6.45%.

744 miles are managed, that's 37.2%.

That leaves 1,127 miles unmanaged, that's 56.35%.

So, what percentage of the border that is "managed" could be considered "secure" on any given day? 50%? 30%? Less?

For the sake of argument lets use 30%.

The new calculation gives us 352 miles (17.6%) controlled and 1,648 miles (82.4%) uncontrolled.

At $3b/year, it costs us $8,522,727.27 per secure mile per year, or $23,349.94 per secure mile per day.

Do I even want to ask how much it will cost to secure the other 1,648 miles?

Conclusions -

1) We are not secure.
2) We need a better way to secure all of the border and allocate resources more efficiently.

Resolution -

The only thing I can think of, is a massive electronic network of above and below ground sensors and cameras coupled with aerial drone surveillance and a rapid-reaction style ground and airborne units deployed at key strategic points along the border. In order to prevent end runs there also would have to be deployment of sea-based units along the California coast and gulf coast regions. Some of those new littoral ships could serve as command ships.

I just don't see any other way, if people are serious about securing the border.

Thoughts?

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: GAO Report on Border
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:11:23 AM »
Land mines deployed heavily across the entire border? A sniper positioned every 1/4 mile?

Or maybe just a 2000 mile span of two 20' high chain-link fences 10' apart with an additional 10' buried underground in concrete footings, both topped with razor wire, and heavily armed border patrol officers ready to shoot any who dare try to get over or under it.

If we were serious about border security, it could be managed handily, whether by high tech or low tech.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:04:36 AM »
Heh, speaking of low tech...my brother told me he thought turning the full length of the border into the nations dump wold be a good first step!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »
Technology is to the point that we could have unmanned aerial vehicles automatically flying a pattern with sensors that detect movement. Some of these newer drones can stay airborne for 2-3 days at a time.

The point is well taken. We could dramatically improve border security, it's not a question of capability. There are any number of ways to go about it. The barrier is government.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »
True.  I would correct that barrier to be "immigrant (legal or illegal) pandering government"!

>:(
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.