Author Topic: Dinner and tv  (Read 1604 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Dinner and tv
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
After slogging thru 5 pages debating whether the US should, could or did assassinate an American I needed a break so I started dinner.

Tonight's menu is homemade soup with homemade soup stock (which is the best way to go!) and focaccia that is rising as I type.  I found that if there's homemade bread on the table I'll be forgiven for any less than stellar meal.  LOL

I'm experimenting with a kohlrabi, apples and onion saute.  Don't know what spices to use on it yet.  This is why I need the bread!  lol

Then I shall watch NCIS and hope no one interupts my hour of relaxation.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Dinner and tv
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »
My folks are here visiting and we had stuffed peppers (red peppers, ground beef and Neese's sausage) with (canned -- Mom's gonna teach me the Bisquick way) -- biscuits; iceberg lettuce salad with chick peas, Daikon, cucumber, olives, and two kinds of cheese; corn, beets.

And lotsa red wine.

Oh, and the Sons of Anarchy as dessert.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:56:13 PM »
Pan, Bisquick biscuits are so easy and infinitely better than canned

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 06:46:47 AM »
Pan, Bisquick biscuits are so easy and infinitely better than canned

I don't like either as well as ones made by scratch at the local cafe. Bisquick ones are too dry and the taste is just a little off, IMHO. Canned ones taste canned, and the way they layer apart is novel but... somehow unnatural. If I had to choose though, I guess I'd choose Bisquick.

*TANGENT ALERT* Reminds me of my old recording studio partner. We'd be knee-deep in a session, and one of us would say, "I gotta go piss quick," and the other would respond something like, "Don't forget the maple syrup", or, "We just ate, whaddaya want pancakes for?"

Stupid, yes. Just can't think of Bisquick without thinking of Neal.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:41:25 AM »
Yummy, Pan, that sounded good. 

You have to try making biscuits from scratch--they are so worth the extra few minutes!  I use to make up baggies of the dry mix to have on hand for busy nights and all I had to do was add the wet ingredients--as quick as bisquik but better.  I made biscuits so often the kids got sick of them and I don't make them as often any more.

One note on the focaccia--the recipe said to knead for several minutes. I don't knead bread--hahaha--it turned out fine.  The most I might ever do is a couple of min for my french bread but even then that's pushing it.  I mention it only if anyone's interested in making bread but don't want to spend time kneading--most of the time it will turn out ok. I used to have a bread machine I dumped everything in but it bounced right off the counter one day and that's was the end of the extending kneading. I made pumpernickle the other day--no kneading there.  The thing is the kids eat up the bread so fast that even if a particular recipe might arguably be better kneaded longer it doesn't matter.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."