Poll

Choose One (candidates arranged in no particular order)

Bachmann
1 (7.1%)
Huntsman
0 (0%)
Romney
0 (0%)
Cain
9 (64.3%)
Perry
2 (14.3%)
Johnson
0 (0%)
Gingrich
1 (7.1%)
Santorum
0 (0%)
Paul
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 08, 2011, 01:59:33 PM

Author Topic: October 2011 IAL Member Poll: Who Do You Lean Toward As A Primary Candidate?  (Read 2762 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Cain literally 9 to 1 over Bachmann, Gingrich and Paul (someone needs to fess up over that one).

9 to 2 over Perry.

Okay, this was pretty much the way that I expected it would be. Just wanted to know.

All is well in the kingdom.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Sorry I didn't make it for the poll.  Been kind of tied up; parental units are visiting.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Our results aren't substantially different from what you will find at the HotAir poll. The only difference that I noted was that the HotAir poll had Romney as a third place factor slightly behind Perry. Cain won that poll in a walk with 46% of the vote.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Cain literally 9 to 1 over Bachmann, Gingrich and Paul (someone needs to fess up over that one).

I confess! You beat it out of me!

::puke::

The whole field makes me sick

I did say above that I would explain my vote.
The words "in the primary" were key to my vote.
I really don't like any of them. Because of that, Paul was my protest vote.

Romney, Perry, Gingrich, Huntsman and Santorum are no out of the gate.
Not voting for them no how. I don't think Bachmann had what it took out of the gate. Liked her until she started with retarded children because of Gardasil with out proof and kept it up. And blew up in other ways

Paul has no chance.He'll get 8-10% of the vote.
I am not a libertarian but a conservative with some libertarian leanings
That doesn't make me a Paul supporter

I admire Cain's accomplishments and business acumen.
But he started with the race card. And the more I know about him, not as sure about him. Not crazy about 9-9-9
I would vote for him, Bachmann or even Paul if they were the nominee.
No one else.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Okay, well this at least gives us a marker.

We can try it again in a few weeks.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I held out hope that Palin was going to enter, even though I could see the problems that was likely to present. In her absence from the actual announced candidates, I thought Bachmann was mounting a serious campaign in the same mold. As much as I appreciate her in the House, she blew her credibility with me as a Presidential candidate, beginning with a string of stupid statements, ending with the Gardisil/retard shark-jumping.

Next in line for me was Perry, as I hoped his executive record combined with the hype would add up to an acceptably conservative nominee. He has shown himself to be of lesser stock than I had hoped. He could still turn it around, but based on what I've seen so far, I am thoroughly unimpressed, and not hopeful that he could beat Obama.

Now I'm looking at Cain. He's had a foot-in-mouth problem. He's had a few deer in the headlines moments. But his debate performances have been strong. He's seemed to have an ability to convincingly wiggle out of his few verbal gaffes. He's incredibly likable. And he seems to be getting better - peaking at the right time.

If he continues on his current trajectory, I think he could be the nominee. I think he would devastate Obama head-to-head like no other candidate. Right now, he's my choice until something happens to move me off him.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:19:30 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

He's exceeding the learning curve, he's got to plateau sometime.
I want to see more debates from them and some hardball interviews.
Saw Santorum, does it matter, and it was softball city.

In my mind it's Cain or Perry, the others serve to give them opportunity to rise or fall.

today

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero

He's exceeding the learning curve, he's got to plateau sometime.
I want to see more debates from them and some hardball interviews.
Saw Santorum, does it matter, and it was softball city.

In my mind it's Cain or Perry, the others serve to give them opportunity to rise or fall.

today

Perry shot himself in the foot with immigration with me. He was doing fine till he turned into Graham/McCain in one feld swoop.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

That baffles me.  His is the best plan for stopping illegal immigration put forward.

Texas has less problems with illegal immigration than any other border state and
it's border is longer than all the others put together.  Not only that, all trade and
major land travel routes cross the Texas, Mexico border.  California is on the border
with Baja, got fish? And Arizona has one highway on the western side of the Sierra's
which is coastal, no farm, ranch, commerce, nada.

I've not decided between the two, Cain or Perry, but there is no issue whether he
understands and will seal the border as president.  It's boots on the ground, and
air support (drones and helicopters).

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
OK, so analysis time here. BTW: Thanks to Trap for setting this up and prompting the discussion.

To start with, I've always been what I like to think as a conservative. Didn't begin as a lib or moderate, see the light, and cross over. I've never not voted for a Republican. No, wait....that's not accurate. I've never voted for a dhimmicrat. Ever. I didn't vote for Ford - I didn't vote. I've voted pubbie in every other race.

So it is an ordeal for me to understand Rick Perry. He was a dhimmicrat for cripes sake! Now he's running as a Republican and says that he is conservative, but I have a hard time believing it. So I have to look at him as more of a populist of I can't look at him at all. I'll come back to him later.

In making my decision I tried to adhere to the maxim of choosing the most conservative that is winnable. Then I can decide if I will pull the lever for whomever makes it to the general. The conservative litmus test I break down into two halves: is he/she conservative by general standards, and is he/she conservative to me. The winnable part is entirely subjective. I will offer mine and then I will look forward to your opinions.

So now let's handicap them:

Candidate | Gen-Con | Me-con | Winnable | Points

Bachmann      Y        Y          N       2
Huntsman      N           N           N       0
Romney      Y           N           Y       2
Cain         Y           Y           Y       3
Perry         Y           N           Y       2
Johnson      N           N           N       0
Gingrich      Y           Y           Y       3
Santorum      Y           Y           N       2
Paul         Y           N           N       1

And now let me offer thumbnails.

Huntsman and Johnson? Sorry, non-starters.

Paul? I think he's a borderline loony.

Of the rest, there are two distinct character types, the citizen statesman and the professional politician. Santorum, Cain, and even Bachmann are citizen statesmen. Gingrich, Perry and Romney are professional politicians. Each type has their strengths and their weaknesses (as a type). After a bunch of pros F'ing up the works and telling us what to do (instead of the other way around) the idea of a citizen statesman is refreshing. But, even if they were to prevail, would they be able to maintain that executive position  as a CS - able to pull together the talent and expertise to perform all the tasks required of them?

The pros certainly could, but what would it look like and would it bear any resemblance to the sort of Republican administration I was hoping for?

At this time I've narrowed my choices down to two Cain and Gingrich. Both are true conservatives. Both are smart as a whip. One (Cain) is untested as a political powerbroker. The other (Gingrich) has a checkered past. Both are demonstrated leaders, with a slight nod to Gingrich because he could more easily  navigate the DC shark-infested waters.

Going into this I presumed that Cain would be the popular favorite based on his recent performances. I guessed that Perry would show, and guessed that mine would be the only vote for Gingrich. I recognize that he has soured many conservatives (but honestly - haven't they all tripped up a time or two?!).

My tip of the hat for Primary consideration goes to Newt Gingrich because of his greater practical experience.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
that was interesting, Soup.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero

That baffles me.  His is the best plan for stopping illegal immigration put forward.

Texas has less problems with illegal immigration than any other border state and
it's border is longer than all the others put together.  Not only that, all trade and
major land travel routes cross the Texas, Mexico border.  California is on the border
with Baja, got fish? And Arizona has one highway on the western side of the Sierra's
which is coastal, no farm, ranch, commerce, nada.

I've not decided between the two, Cain or Perry, but there is no issue whether he
understands and will seal the border as president.  It's boots on the ground, and
air support (drones and helicopters).

The no heart comment was the living end.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

That was the stupidist thing he could have said.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
After fighting so hard against GW Bush and McCain/Graham trying to push through amnesty, it is not a mystery that conservatives are not willing to consider a nominee who appears to be even remotely cut from the same cloth. I know I'm not.

I think Perry's elaboration in the days after the disastrous debate performance and the "you have no heart" comment is worth at least considering. I'm not beyond hearing someone out, unless they prove themselves unworthy of hearing, which I don't think Perry has done. But even considering his walkback, he cannot put the comment back in the bottle. It's too big an issue. He's got to live with it, try to explain his position better, and hope he can overcome the mistrust he engendered with those poorly chosen words.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Soes Perry not base his "tuition for illegals" on his state's Mexican-border situation?  Yes; he stated as much.  Does not Jan Brewer, AZ's governor have much the same situation on a smaller scale?  Again, yes, yet did AZ go for in-state tuition for illegals?  As I recall, no; correct me if I'm wrong.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
I seem to recall he was also unenthusiastic about Arizona's SB 1070. And maybe he didn't actually say this, but wasn't there some comment to the effect of "because the way his name sounds"? The implication being something like this: "the replacement of Jones, Smith, and Johnson with Garcia, Hernandez, and Rodriguez is just the way it is and what's the big deal anyway?" I just get too much of a Bush-type vibe from Perry.

Conservatism has already ceded so much ground I sometimes wonder if political success is really even possible anymore. The Establishment has successfully peddled the "this isn't the hill to die on" argument so many damn times that we're about out of hills. Case in point is this very subject, illegal immigration. What really needs to be said is that it's a mass invasion of people useful only as virtual slave labor and incipient Democrats, and the reason nothing has been done to stop it is that there are powerful entities vested in both those uses. But no one would ever come even close to making a statement like that. Why are we left with having to pussyfoot around issues that threaten to destroy America as we have always known it? Because some jackasses in Brooks Bros. suits and Colgate smiles said these weren't the hills worth dying on.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

Soes Perry not base his "tuition for illegals" on his state's Mexican-border situation?  Yes; he stated as much.  Does not Jan Brewer, AZ's governor have much the same situation on a smaller scale?  Again, yes, yet did AZ go for in-state tuition for illegals?  As I recall, no; correct me if I'm wrong.

And Az is cartel capitol and Phoenix is kidnap capitol of the world.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
To be fair to Brewer she had to start unravelling a lot fo the stuff Nappy Janet instituted over her many (sad) years as Governor.  That's a lot of clean up, and Brewer has made a lot of progress and this latest attempt was a common sense effort modeled upon federal statutes that The Regime chooses not to enforce.

You want a lot of mindless border violence, Perry's Texas can hold its own...Brownsville, Laredo...

Perry could make huge waves on the illegal immigrant and border crime front if he had half the spine Brewer has!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
Bah, I'm up in the mountains at the cabin on vacation and missed this poll.  On the phone here so my reasons I won't delve into deeply.

But if the poll were open I would have voted for Cain.

Bachmann would be my second choice.  Beyond those two I have to hold my nose and be forced to vote for any of the others.

charlesoakwood

This website provides crime statistics for 8772 cities and metropolitan areas in the United States of America. It is based on official 2008 FBI Crime Statistics downloaded from Data.gov. With this website, you can find out which US cities are safest, and which ones are most dangerous (and everything in between). Feel free to browse this site; you might be surprised what you find out!

... based on official 2008 FBI Crime Statistics downloaded from Data.gov.

http://crime-statistics.com/brownsville-texas.htm

Population:                                              176893
    Total Violent Crimes:                                      634
        Violent Crimes Per 100,000 Residents:          358
        Homicides:                                                    4
        Rapes:                                                        26
        Robberies:                                                 173
        Aggravated Assaults:                                   431
    Total Property Crimes:                                   10139
        Property Crimes Per 100,000 Residents:         5732
        Burglary:                                                   1590
        Larceny-Theft:                                            8205
        Motor Vehicle Theft:                                      344
    Arson:                                                              38
    Safety Rating:                                                  Safe

http://crime-statistics.com/laredo-texas.htm

Population:                                                   222870
    Total Violent Crimes:                                         1357
        Violent Crimes Per 100,000 Residents:               609
        Homicides:                                                      10
        Rapes:                                                            78
        Robberies:                                                     311
        Aggravated Assaults:                                      958
    Total Property Crimes:                                     14340
        Property Crimes Per 100,000 Residents:           6434
        Burglary:                                                     2091
        Larceny-Theft:                                            10522
        Motor Vehicle Theft:                                      1727
    Arson:                                                                43
    Safety Rating:                                             Moderate

http://crime-statistics.com/phoenix-arizona.htm

Population:                                                 1585838
    Total Violent Crimes:                                       10465
        Violent Crimes Per 100,000 Residents:               660
        Homicides:                                                     167
        Rapes:                                                           481
        Robberies:                                                    4825
        Aggravated Assaults:                                     4992
    Total Property Crimes:                                      82689
        Property Crimes Per 100,000 Residents:            5214
        Burglary:                                                     18783
        Larceny-Theft:                                              48685
        Motor Vehicle Theft:                                      15221
    Arson:                                                                473
    Safety Rating:                                               Moderate

http://crime-statistics.com/san-antonio-texas.htm

Population:                                                    1351244
    Total Violent Crimes:                                            9699
        Violent Crimes Per 100,000 Residents:                  718
        Homicides:                                                        116
        Rapes:                                                              424
        Robberies:                                                       2743
        Aggravated Assaults:                                        6416
    Total Property Crimes:                                         97564
        Property Crimes Per 100,000 Residents:               7220
        Burglary:                                                        18908
        Larceny-Theft:                                                 70651
        Motor Vehicle Theft:                                          8005
    Arson:                                                                   521
    Safety Rating:                                                   Moderate

http://crime-statistics.com/omaha-nebraska.htm

Population:                                                        437238
    Total Violent Crimes:                                              2648
        Violent Crimes Per 100,000 Residents:                    606
        Homicides:                                                           44
        Rapes:                                                               180
        Robberies:                                                          949
        Aggravated Assaults:                                          1475
    Total Property Crimes:                                           18792
        Property Crimes Per 100,000 Residents:                 4298
        Burglary:                                                           3175
        Larceny-Theft:                                                  12892
        Motor Vehicle Theft:                                            2725
    Arson:                                                                        0
    Safety Rating:                                                    Moderate