Author Topic: 72% of Shopping carts test positive for fecal bacteria  (Read 2610 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
72% of Shopping carts test positive for fecal bacteria
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:12:46 PM »

...Professor Charles Gerba, the lead researcher, swabbed the handles of 85 carts in four states for bacterial contamination.

Gerba says 72% of the carts had a positive marker for fecal bacteria. When they examined some of the samples, they found Escherichia coli, also known as E. coli, on half of them.

Researchers say they actually found more fecal bacteria on grocery cart handles than you would typically find in a bathroom, mainly because bathrooms are disinfected more often than shopping carts....

More @ usatoday.com....

::puke:: ::barf::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: 72% of Shopping carts test positive for fecal bacteria
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Think of it as strength training for your immune system.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 05:03:30 PM »
Ugh.  I've been wiping shopping cart handles for a long time now, and carrying hand sanitizer in the truck.  This just adds to the shkeeve factor.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
I'd just like to know where in the sam-hell the poop comes from, and why it ends up on shopping cart handles. I mean, if it really is there, then one can extrapolate that most people are always walking around with poop on their hands, and that everything that people touch, like door handles, etc, is covered with fecal matter. It can't just be shopping carts.

I wash my frikkin hands with soap and water, and I don't touch poop.

::puke::   ::barf::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »
Why? Because some people can't wipe their asses properly or be bothered to wash their hands afterward. Then there's the whole cultural thing, one of the gifts of die-VER-sity.

You know how you hear about the occasional recall of lettuce, strawberries, etc, because of E. coli contamination? It gets there because the migrant field workers all crap in a ditch in the middle of the crops and go right back to picking fruit. In Third World cities, raw effluent runs down the streets. There's a reason these places are Third World, and it has nothing to do with lack of natural resources or oppression from the Caucasian bogey man. And we've looked at these people and said "We've just got to import millions of them!"

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »
"Hey, store manager!  There's fecal material all over my shopping cart!"

"Shhh! Not so loud, everyone will want fecal matter on their shopping carts."

So if you are in the other 28% you just lose out. Darn, no fecal matter for you, buddy.

Seriously, this is no big deal. I mean we all wash our hands, right?

You want sickening you should see one of those local tv news exposes that they always do during sweeps week where they do an extremely thorough scan of an average hotel room.  And you lay down and sleep there.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »
Yeah I've seen those shows before. They use a UV light to show where various, uh, fluids have ended up. We're talking even on the ceiling in some of these places!

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:32:35 PM »
You want fecal material?  I got your fecal material right here...

Go into any (and I do mean any) place where they employ large numbers of illegal aliens from Mexico...heck, they don't have to be illegal, either...and visit the restrooms, male or female, it doesn't matter...and you will find a large pile of soiled toilet paper next to each toilet.  Darn near everyone who grows up south of the border is trained from birth NOT to throw toilet paper in the toilet because their sewage systems are so rotten they can't handle the paper.  So...onto the floor it goes and goes and goes.  You can find this in lots of public places, too, as you go further and further south toward the border where the density of illegals is greater.

Think about that when next you dine at a really, really authentic Mexican restaurant in south Texas (or New Mexico or Arizona) where maybe they don't have too many visits from a health inspector.

Umm, yummy.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »
Yes! I have noticed exactly that. I've also noticed the toilets are almost always unflushed, and had heard that it is commonplace in Mexico to not flush the toilets (probably for the same reason you mention).

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
The E. Coli contamination could also be due to the existence of persons such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFIcKEAcMrU

- Yours Truly

hemm

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 06:30:04 PM »
what a really sh*tty thing to post.........

sorry......some days I just have a crappy attitude and can't hep 'msef..........

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 07:23:27 PM »
My daughter since she's a mother now has turned into a gerna phobe.And has bought a shopping Cart liner so the baby never come into contact with the carts that she wipes down with bleach wipes before the liner goes in. How come we didn't have that stuff when we were new parents?

I sent her the article and all I heard was I TOLD YOU THOSE THINGS WERE DISGUSTING SEE I'M NOT NUTS !! ::whatgives::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »

I use the hand baskets, so no problem.    ::speechless::
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 07:36:12 PM »

Go into any (and I do mean any) place where they employ large numbers of illegal aliens from Mexico...heck, they don't have to be illegal, either...and visit the restrooms, male or female, it doesn't matter...and you will find a large pile of soiled toilet paper next to each toilet.  Darn near everyone who grows up south of the border is trained from birth NOT to throw toilet paper in the toilet because their sewage systems are so rotten they can't handle the paper.  So...onto the floor it goes and goes and goes.  You can find this in lots of public places, too, as you go further and further south toward the border where the density of illegals is greater.

Think about that when next you dine at a really, really authentic Mexican restaurant in south Texas (or New Mexico or Arizona) where maybe they don't have too many visits from a health inspector.

Umm, yummy.

Speaking of restaurants, managements have finally caught onto the fact that they need waste containers near the bathroom doors so people will stop dropping the towels on the floor which were used to grab the handle after handwashing.

There is much around today, in the way of bacteria and virus, that we either eradicated or simply were not exposed to previously.  Little hitchhikers smuggled in with the rest of the coyote cargo.  Stuff that even a healthy immune system won't/can't fight off.

And kid germs of all kinds are virulent!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »

Umm, yummy.

There's a simple solution for that.  Put Spanish-language signs in each stall saying it's OK to throw the toilet paper in the toilet.

Oh, wait.  Many illegals are illiterate in Spanish.   ::facepalm::
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »

Umm, yummy.

There's a simple solution for that.  Put Spanish-language signs in each stall saying it's OK to throw the toilet paper in the toilet.

Oh, wait.  Many illegals are illiterate in Spanish.   ::facepalm::

My wife once worked in a place that had a high illegal count.  They tried everything.  They had training sessions with a Spanish interpreter.  They had signs.  They had posters.  They had daily reminders at staff meetings.

All for nothing.

So, no, I'm not surprised about fecal material popping up darn near everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:38:28 PM by trapeze »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 09:13:33 PM »
My wife once worked in a place that had a high illegal count.  They tried everything.  They had training sessions with a Spanish interpreter.  They had signs.  They had posters.  They had daily reminders at staff meetings.

All for nothing.

So, no, I'm not surprised about fecal material popping up darn near everywhere.

I know at least three or four incidents in Charlotte where people were killed by drunk Mexicans driving on the wrong side of an Interstate highway. This has happened elsewhere in the country too. The "defense", if you can call it that, I've heard is that their culture doesn't hold drunk driving in the intensely negative light that ours does. So the local government actually took to having Spanish-language informational materials distributed in Mexican bars, clubs, and restaurants to actually explain that driving while p*ssed drunk is not a good thing to do.

So, no, I'm not surprised either.

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »

I use the hand baskets, so no problem.    ::speechless::

You keep thinking that!! ::thinking::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
You can only avoid so much...

Isn't every singe item in any store hand placed onto shelves, bins and racks?

You can avoid the obvious stuff, wipe carts down, whatever...but there's always gonna be something out there waiting to get ya!

::speechless::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.